really desperate need of help

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
hi I have a 57 reg mercedes b200 I will start from the beginning and let me know from your experiences it's started with the central locking sometimes not working then odd time my car wouldn't start not even crank but then it would start up after a few times then at weekend I went out and my car cut out on me 3 times whilst in motion very dangerous situation and popped up on dashboard dashboard malfunction,abs and esp with engine management light but would then disappear.
The following morning I took it to my local garage and he hooked it up to diagnostics and said there was that many fault codes he had to wipe it and wait for the codes to come back so took it from the garage and it drove like it usually did got it to work turned it off started it back up straight away about 4 times not a problem went into work came out 3hours later wouldn't start eventually started after about 20 times then srs came on dashboard drove it home and as I pulled up outside my house it cut dead tried to start it nothing.
Got up the following morning started straight up got it back to garage and he said he couldn't get in to it and when he did he started the car went to toilet came back and it cut out any ideas from past experience would be great...

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Get your mechanic to check for a Crank position sensor fault. Symptoms are engine cutting out and failing to restart until engine cools down. As soon as the engine gets up to temperature it cuts out again. The part is about £90 from the dealer.

For some of the other faults, get the battery voltage checked. Low voltage often brings problems. Put the battery on charge overnight and see if the problems disappear. Check the earthing too. It should always crank.

A Mercedes tech (indy) is what you really need where they can read the fault codes with MB diagnostic equipment and get much better results than a generic fault code reader.

Where are you located so maybe someone can suggest a decent MB indy?

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
I'm in Leeds uk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As AMGeed. Crank sensor and battery voltage. Check earth leads and main battery connection too.

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
my radio and lights still come on those would that still happen if my battery was crap????

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above, also check there's no moisture on the floor of the battery compartment, and check the main drain under the cabin filter - if it's blocked, the water gets everywhere - battery, SAM, etc.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
my radio and lights still come on those would that still happen if my battery was crap????
Yes they would still work even with a duff battery, Mercedes are really funny about voltages being low.

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
and would it cause it to cut out whilst driving???

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Not the battery but the crank sensor would, could also be worth checking the eis

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
what's eis

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Lot of helpful advice, most of us have had the same symptoms and the CPS is a good place to start its an easy diy if you can get at it,
mine finally gave up the ghost on a very busy junction and the spare I had dutifully carried around was the wrong one !
They are grossly overpriced from MB but beware of cheap Chinese junk from Ebay et al.
My car has had a few weeks off whilst I have been overseas it started first time just about but its flicked a few warning lights on and the display has for reasons only known to a select few (not me) switched to german on the dash display.

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
would that also make my car vibrate and hesitate before stalling????

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^Have you charged the battery yet to see if any faults have disappeared?

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
taken the battery off put a booster pack on still no joy

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
taken the battery off put a booster pack on still no joy

Is the engine cranking?
The battery needs a full charge before deciding the next step.
Are you saying the battery won't charge?

OP
S

sam p

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes b200 57
no the garage has checked the battery and put power straight to a booster on but still no joy

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom