Really unlucky.....DOH

Braveheart

Reaction score
Car looking absolutely magnificent, decided to go give it a spin, to keep the battery up, (any excuse to drive it..) , down the lane, been out less than 5 minutes...and THWACK!....right in my line of sight, stone hit the screen, with a halfmoon laminate fracture as big as your finger nail.....b------.:(
Question is, are Autoglass resin screen repairs any good, from an aesthetic standpoint?
Admittedly it'll save the screen from total destruction, but will I still see a mark?....never had one done.:?:

D3Less

Reaction score
Only ever had one done and it is still very visible, it is on my van so was not quite so concerned, if it was on my car I would have been very dissapointed.

Reaction score
I have had several "repaired" by autoglass and I must say you can't tell the difference. The chip/crack looks exactly the same after the repair. The good thing though, especially with the weather being a tad nippy at present, is that if you get it repaired it wont get any worse.

It's usually free anyway so you may as well get it done.

btw, I've given up "just going for a spin" because something bad always seems to happen when I go out without any good reason :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Car looking absolutely magnificent, decided to go give it a spin, to keep the battery up, (any excuse to drive it..) , down the lane, been out less than 5 minutes...and THWACK!....right in my line of sight, stone hit the screen, with a halfmoon laminate fracture as big as your finger nail.....b------.:(
Question is, are Autoglass resin screen repairs any good, from an aesthetic standpoint?
Admittedly it'll save the screen from total destruction, but will I still see a mark?....never had one done.:?:

I think you must ask them how it will look and what type of guarantee.

I watched them doing some small chips last week,it looked good when they had finished.

With new screens,most say it is better to have a MB one fitted.

Malcolm

paul c

Reaction score
Had a fairly big chip done on my screen can hardly see a mark now better than a cracked screen on motorway.

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
I had 2 done by auto glass to the same screen to my old E240, one was great, albeit you could still see it, but no trouble, the other was constant grief, timewise, the resin kept coming out, and it was done three times, and was due a fourth visit, when I sold it on. One question is to the MOT issure, and the other to the amount to which your car has to be dismantled, to replace the screen?
I favour the repair if it does not foul an MOT, rather than dismantle the car.

OP
B

Braveheart

Reaction score
Phoned Autoglass, they're coming out Saturday morning. I described the strike to the phone guy and he seemed to know something about the job, he reckoned if you were unlucky the worst it would be is a slight fogginess in the area of the chip.....mmmmmmmm..not sure I want to be looking at a patch of fogginess doing 70-80 mph on the A1M !!!! in the rush hour.
Guess I'll keep fingers crossed then.....
I'm left wondering whether their "replacement" screen would meet the same standard as an MB screen (rain-sensing to boot).....and what sort of a job they do.
The mind boggles at having one fitted at an MB dealership, whereby my insurance only donate £125 to the cost, if not fitted by Autoglass (whom they have a business relationship with..)
What d'ya reckon folks?
Hundreds?
:(

Hibbo

Reaction score
Had a 'chip' done on mine last week. It was actually two small cracks so was difficult to do. It still looks EXACTLY the same, but it should stop it cracking in this cold weather. It was free anyway (fully comp)

OP
B

Braveheart

Reaction score
I had 2 done by auto glass to the same screen to my old E240, one was great, albeit you could still see it, but no trouble, the other was constant grief, timewise, the resin kept coming out, and it was done three times, and was due a fourth visit, when I sold it on. One question is to the MOT issure, and the other to the amount to which your car has to be dismantled, to replace the screen?
I favour the repair if it does not foul an MOT, rather than dismantle the car.

Just how much of the car is actually dismantled then?
Anybody know?

Reaction score
only had is done on the Audi. They took out the plastic cover between the engine bay and the windscreen, and the metal strps down the side of the windscreen. They then remove the rear view mirror and glue it onto the new one when they put it back in. It all looks a bit drastic but only takes about 30 mins and these guys do loads every day so they usually know what they are doing.

OP
B

Braveheart

Reaction score
I rang Autoglass after reading all posts, and decided to go for a new screen.
Really impressed with their professionalism, well, at my branch in Lincoln anyway. Rang them Friday afternoon, turned up as planned with screen today, fitted and jobs a goodun'. I asked technician about the spec and maker of the glass, and he said that the maker was an MB supplier and proved his point by showing me the various ID marks on the other glass fitted to the car. Spec was spot on (as car has auto headlamps and wipers), even the tint is perfect....no complaints, good service, he knew what he was doing and the implications of not doing it properly....a rare comodity in trades people nowadays must say.:rolleyes: As I write this post the bonding is curing, so I've not had her out yet, fingers crossed for no added squeeks or rattles.
Thanks to all for advise ;)

Top Bottom