Really???

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Are you serious?

I would be really p****d off if someone touch parked my car, I would also be annoyed if not left enough room to manoeuvre my car.

Can you post on here where you will be driving/parking please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me too !!!! :(

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Are you serious?

I would be really p****d off if someone touch parked my car, I would also be annoyed if not left enough room to manoeuvre my car.

Can you post on here where you will be driving/parking please.

Calm down! I live in Spain and that is done by everyone even in brand new mercs! A car is a tool here, no-one cares, the police do it! Hence why I don't know where the bumper of my car is and asked the question of how much room is allowed. Hence I also said I won't do it in UK as it's not the norm and so asking what is the norm!

My point still stands that I have yet to see damage by very gentle touch parking and only high speed/scuffing which has done damage.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Different cultures different ‘rules’! In the UK it seems we are highly possessive on our cars and their well being and the ‘personal space’ they are afforded, either parked or on the move. I see more disagreements here than almost every country I visit (and that’s a lot). Intolerance bubbles over to ‘road rage’ here not infrequently sadly, whereas some of the things I see happen elsewhere are met with a shrug at most!
As a rule of thumb I try to park on basis I can see the car number plate front and back (back in the mirror of course). Not always possible of course but then it’s common sense thereafter. Certainly wouldn’t park here putting someone else in the position that they’d have to ‘touch’ whilst attempting to get out.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Oh blimey aye, the attitude to cars in the UK is weird. It's as if we see them as an extension of our bodies.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Oh blimey aye, the attitude to cars in the UK is weird. It's as if we see them as an extension of our bodies.
I don't think it is weird, for me I just take pride in my possessions :)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So do I, I keep my cars very well maintained. I even clean them occasionally. :D But I've never felt this 'pride and joy' thing that some people describe their cars as.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Due to the high cost of cars in the UK, it makes sense to look after them. Not exactly time consuming to wash and hoover them in the grand scheme of things.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I guess I am a bit too protective of possessions, I put this down to having a large family growing up when we often had hand me downs.

I am retired now and purchased my current car new which will have to see me through for a few years.

Since extending the garage I now keep the car out of the elements and therefore don’t have to wash it every week.

My son though hardly ever cleans his car and it drives me nuts how he treats it, I think I have washed his car as much as he has.

I have driven in Spain a fair bit but never encountered this touch parking but d215yq lives there so will know better than I.

Funnily my wife says she could not care less about her car and has never cleaned it yet gets peeved if I miss hers out on a Sunday.

Robin

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
Spanish don’t seem to have the best parking record. Some even overstay their allotted parking time.

Don’t they Mr Alonso ?

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Out of interest I'm back in the UK soon for a week and will have to drive/park and what is the correct amount of room and parking etiquette? Here the amount given above is positively generous, I regularly have to get out with 3 inches either side - I once got in with only 8" spare, though we are "allowed" to touch park here.

Now it stresses me parking in the UK as I have no idea where the rear bumper is on my car as here it is simply reverse gently until you touch. Though I am pretty sure that reversing to a touch at a very low speed does no damage whatsoever but wouldn't try it unless that's the done thing (it used to be in parts of london)? Here the damage picked up is from when people scuff the front corner when exiting a parking space, or the more moronic version of touch park which is reverse at 10mph until you hear a bang. I've seen a transit do that to my car before and cave his bumper in while the good old reinforced W124 bumper stayed straight...

I would make sure you have plenty of space. As mentioned different countries different cultures. Touch parking won't go down well in the UK.

I recall one time in Naples (Italy not America) and watching a Cinquecento park in the centre. Touch park! Ram park as he literally shunted the car in front forward and the one behind backwards. He looked at me after he'd parked and held up his hands in an upward motion suggesting "What do you expect me to do?" :D

We quickly drove away!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I just don't equate cleaning the outside of my car with "looking after it."

Don't get me wrong, I do it keep it clean, inside and out, I'm just not out there every week.

HOWEVER, I maintain my cars meticulously, over and above manufacturer intervals. I use premium fuel. I NEVER over-rev it when cold. I check fluids and tyres weekly.

This to me is far more important than wether it is spotlessly clean.

OP
dry run

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Just to follow up. It seems like opinion on here is split as to whether a PCN was justified or not. Happily, the decision went my way and it was cancelled :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just to follow up. It seems like opinion on here is split as to whether a PCN was justified or not. Happily, the decision went my way and it was cancelled :)
Nice result!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Good news! I didnt think it would to be honest...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Excellent! ^
(Were you meaning I was harsh saying he got off Steve? :))

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Touch parking is kid's stuff! Reckon we're spoiled here.

We've had this conversation before, but try Sicily for example - especially Catania or Palermo. A few dents and scrapes are essential for survival. Street cred - without which you're not only fair game, you're a marked man.
Or any of the north African countries like Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco - they're worse.
Nobody uses bodyshops there, or car polish! There's no point.

Just shows how easily you can fall foul of local norms if you're not aware.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom