Rear brake replacement

Merc mat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012
Hi can someone help me I need to replace rear brake pads & disc on my 2012 e220 , the automatic park brake if I put car in neutral , will this allows me to replace them , then after put it in to park and it will reset it's self , or is there a trick you do to release it ,

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
A 2012 E220 W212 doesn’t have an automatic parking brake?

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
No, the parking brake only comes on when you push the parking brake pedal on the left.

The auto gearbox goes into Park mode automatically when you switch the engine off (assuming yours has an auto box). That locks up the gearbox which stops the car from rolling in normal circumstances.
If it is manual just put it in gear.

That should allow you to remove the disk as both the brake pads and the parking brake will be released. You may have to slacken off the parking brake further if the disk won't come off.

Chock the three wheels that aren't off the ground as the car could roll when one rear wheel is off the ground (and use axle stands, etc.).

OP
Merc mat

Merc mat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012
No, the parking brake only comes on when you push the parking brake pedal on the left.

The auto gearbox goes into Park mode automatically when you switch the engine off (assuming yours has an auto box). That locks up the gearbox which stops the car from rolling in normal circumstances.
If it is manual just put it in gear.

That should allow you to remove the disk as both the brake pads and the parking brake will be released. You may have to slacken off the parking brake further if the disk won't come off.

Chock the three wheels that aren't off the ground as the car could roll when one rear wheel is off the ground (and use axle stands, etc.).
That's great advice thanks , to be honest iv nether used park brake , iv just tuned it off by key , so do I need gear box in neutral too ?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
you need to start using the electric park brake pal , if not it may seize up and then cost you a lot of cash to sort out as its a requirement for MOT , the P is for the gearbox only , it has nothing to do with the braking system

OP
Merc mat

Merc mat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2012
you need to start using the electric park brake pal , if not it may seize up and then cost you a lot of cash to sort out as its a requirement for MOT , the P is for the gearbox only , it has nothing to do with the braking system
thanks for advice I'll start and use it

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Which electric parking brake? :rolleyes: Steve has just described the fact that the OP's car has a standard Merc, foot operated parking brake. ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
OK so when I stop car and take key out the park brake comes on ?
Nope it goes into ‘park’, which is what you should do before switching the engine off. As others have stated the parking brake is the pedal on the left, which admittedly i dont use much but now and then to ensure it works

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
That's great advice thanks , to be honest iv nether used park brake , iv just tuned it off by key , so do I need gear box in neutral too ?

It is impossible to leave the car in neutral when you turn it off (assuming you have a 7G+ 'box).

The auto box going into Park automatically only happens with the 7G+ box with the gear change on the steering column. As you turn off the engine you'll see the gear indicator on the dash flicking on to Park.

Separately and assuming that you've never used the manual Parking brake pedal -- to release the Parking brake you pull the lever on the lower right hand side of the dash. You will see the red parking brake light on the dash board coming on when you press the pedal and going off when you pull the release lever. You have to press the parking brake pedal quite hard to get it to be effective. If you try to drive off with the parking brake on a big red warning light will come on.

When you stop the car, you should hold it on the brakes, then press the foot parking brake pedal hard and then switch it off. That way the car will be held by the parking brake rather then be locked by the auto box.
I use it all the time as my driveway is on a slope so I am in the habit.

Last edited:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
You'll find that most drivers of autos don't use it either

Not me, I always apply the hand brake before taking my foot off the foot brake, what I usually do is forget to release the hand brake when I start to drive off and the car wont move forward, just down :rolleyes:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I always use the footbrake, partly for extra braking and partly so it doesn't seize and fail the MOT.

Now this isn't a dig at the OP but I am always amazed in general how little people seem to know, or want to know, about the 2nd biggest purchase in their lives.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Not me, I always apply the hand brake before taking my foot off the foot brake, what I usually do is forget to release the hand brake when I start to drive off and the car wont move forward, just down :rolleyes:

I did say most ..... not all ;)

I rarely use it .... though I'll use it on a hill rather than have the weight of the car resting on Paul

(I know it's pawl ;))

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom