Rear light problem

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My Right rear light cluster has been dull for a week or so, time to investigate.

Opened it up to find this!!!!!

Rear cluster 1.jpg

Rear Cluster 2.jpg

The plug has melted into the lamp holder, part of it snapped off (on the left) when I tried to remove it.

Thoughts on splicing a new plug onto the existing loom (and where to get one)????

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a couple of spare P21W sockets, can send you one :)

Two different types of plastic - finding a suitable glue / epoxy would be problematic, so you'd probably have to weld it in, short of replacing the entire holder.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a couple of spare P21W sockets, can send you one :)

Two different types of plastic - finding a suitable glue / epoxy would be problematic, so you'd probably have to weld it in, short of replacing the entire holder.

Thanks for the offer, I can buy the holder and a new plug with all the pins for around £30 so think this may be the best, fastest and easiest way to do it, I can rewire it myself fairly easily. Peace of mind as well

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You're right, it's the best way.
Also the P21W sockets are all over the place with mounting lugs, unlike say W5W that come in exact shape Mercedes use, so just clicks in.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
That brown wire. I presume it is the Earth. I'd be checking the connection at the other end of it.;)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Classic W204 issue - earth wire is not thick enough so overheats. Some people have replaced the original wire with a better one.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That brown wire. I presume it is the Earth. I'd be checking the connection at the other end of it.;)

I will be , apparently it is a common problem according to Newcastle MB on the E-Bay listing for a replacement part

Classic W204 issue - earth wire is not thick enough so overheats. Some people have replaced the original wire with a better one.

Suggestions???? There is an earth point on the rear wheel arch so easy to re wire

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Researching it it seems to be just a case of replacing the wire with thicker guage using the original endpoints. It seems to be done proactively - you might want to get a new cluster and do this before fitting it.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Researching it it seems to be just a case of replacing the wire with thicker guage using the original endpoints. It seems to be done proactively - you might want to get a new cluster and do this before fitting it.

I am going to replace the bulb holder and plug (just emailed Grangemouth for a price) so will use a thicker gage wire when I change it over, will have to trace the wire back but it is probably earthed under the rear fuse box.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks YouTube

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I had this with my C204 Estate, and found likewise - it is a common issue. Fortunately my burnt lampholder was salvageable so I ran two thicker wires and reused it. No more problems since.
Pain in the proverbial for a supposed quality car though.

Reflecting on my two current Mercs and previous iterations, and comparing them to the Panda, Suzuki and two Berlingos I also run, I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the marque.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had this with my C204 Estate, and found likewise - it is a common issue. Fortunately my burnt lampholder was salvageable so I ran two thicker wires and reused it.

Where did you run them to??

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Where did you run them to??

One was a more substantial earth - easy, to a chassis earthing point in the same location.
The other ... my memory fails me.
A gentleman in the next village has now bought the car, so I can't readily examine it.

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One was a more substantial earth - easy, to a chassis earthing point in the same location.
The other ... my memory fails me.
A gentleman in the next village has now bought the car, so I can't readily examine it.

Cheers, I have ordered a new bulb holder, plug and 2 pins, it is going into my indy tomorrow for a coolant hose replacement so will pick them up then, it is the earth I want to enlarge and there is an earth point just under the fuse box right on the arch which will be easy to use

OP
JBell

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Plug when removed

All the warning lights came on while driving to the garage so had them do it

Rear Cluster 3.jpg

ips24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class c200 cdi 2010
Has anyone got a how to guide to do this wiring please

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Plug when removed

All the warning lights came on while driving to the garage so had them do it

View attachment 41855

That looks like that got jolly hot.

Be interested to know what the cumulative amps are if one had rear fogs, reversing light, side lights and brakes on ... and what ampage that earth wire was?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Not enough is the answer to that!!!

For sure, just looking at the photo it looks like 5A. I am surprised as MB is normally over engineered (or well I thought so).
Sounds like a really common problem.
At least it looks like, the heat damage was near the cluster and not buried somewhere bound up with a load of other wires.

My dear Mum bless her, had a C Class, and she probably would never have noticed something like that.
As she gave up driving when she was 92.

Imo that should have been a safety issue recall.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Be interested to know what the cumulative amps are if one had rear fogs, reversing light, side lights and brakes on ... and what ampage that earth wire was?
Around 6 amps with everything on.
The wire should be fine but the connection has resistance and causes heat that runs up the wire. So the contact burs out and damages the last inch or so of the wire.
My dear Mum bless her, had a C Class, and she probably would never have noticed something like that.
As she gave up driving when she was 92.

Imo that should have been a safety issue recall.

It's just a burned out connector, the plastic used in these things don't catch on fire so it's not a safety issue, they just get very hot before failing and do localised damage, there's nothing close to it that can catch on fire by the heat.
It is a bad design though, I looked at mine when I bought it and it was fine. I'm going to have another look to see if it needs attention before it goes like the OP one has.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom