Rear near-side wheel Welded.

SaltySim

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63/2008/6.3
Morning all,

Only just joined, but i'm hoping to plug your brains.

Just had the C63 in to MB for a air bag re-call, on inspection they found the rear nearside wheel has been aluminium welded in two places. They say its massively unsafe to drive and ill obviously need a new wheel. I bought the car back in December last year from a trade dealer, what do you advise i do in terms of contacting the dealer?

Do i have a case to get them to pay for it, or would they simple deny all knowledge and id be wasting my time, just wondering if there's anyone that has hand a similar problem in the past...
up080v.jpg
[/IMG]

And if anyone knows where i can get these cheaper than here:

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/me...aloon_w204_alloys/19_amg_v_16_spoke_wheel_454

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I think the dealer is being unnecessarily dramatic suggesting the wheel is unsafe to use. Properly repaired they present no danger in normal road use although I'd want a new one if tracking the car or using it on the Autobahn. Welded wheels also pass an MOT test and you have been driving since last Dec without a problem.

I'd carry on using it and keep an eye out for a single wheel on eBay.
I doubt the dealer will be interested after 6 months either although if you bought it through a MB dealer I'd be asking them.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Alloy wheels often get welded as they crack on the crappy roads, provided it has been done properly you should have no problems, it has been fine so far so keep going

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
It's fine to get wheels repaired.

vijilants

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C320 CDI Sport
Just had one of mine repaired by Wheel Works in Crawley when they found a crack in it when they went to refurbish it.

They are a reputable company and I'm sure they would not repair it unless it was safe to do so.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Proper weld proper company fine!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Depends on the type of weld, it is said that TIG welding for aluminium is better as it spreads the heat much better than MIG.
No real safety issues with welding a small crack. Franchised garages will always go for the safety angle, and who can argue with them. You could try contacting the previous owner and see if he is aware of the wheel repair. The garage you bought off will possibly try and fob you off, and who could blame them after all of this time.
If the car is on finance then you could try contacting them if the garage refuses to admit knowledge of the repair.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom