Rearview comand NTG2

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
Hello everyone,

I own a 2005 Mercedes CLK 270 with a NTG2 comand and I would like to install a backup camera. I bought a back-up camera that fixed in place of the plate light I bought the Green / RCA Cable Fakra, and an emulator (from kufatec).
I did the installation without any fix and it does not work. I tested the RCA cable / fakra and it works, I tested the camera in RCA on my TV powered by 12 V and it works, I put the emulator on the OBD socket the red LED lit and it's off as recommended in the manual. And now I do not understand why it does not work. If people have installed a camera on a NTG2 I am information taker.
Thank you very much to all.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what does the emulator do ? does it allow the menu to show up and turn on the camera... (mine's - std merc set up - got an option in the instrument cluster)

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
the emulator makes it possible to trigger the ignition of the camera of the reverse, by activating the option..to have a camera? on an NTG2?

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
The émulator
2B80895F-B91C-4332-A36A-483C4B0DF87F.jpeg D9C7F2D9-F3A3-4872-B1F8-0E380D32E97A.jpeg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
so, from your post, sounds like you still need the car to know there's a camera? or are you saying the emulator creates the can bus signal to switch the comand unit over...

not sure I can offer any help. does the emulator, camera and or supplier instructions claim this is all you need? or does it state the car needs coding?

looking at your picture.... it looks more like its the programmer to code the car, not a always in place hack to fiddle the software (which is my understanding of an emulator)

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
yes I have everything I need..and the emulator creates the signal to activate I suppose the video output and switch to reverse ... I will try again this week to put everything in place to test again

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
so, from your post, sounds like you still need the car to know there's a camera? or are you saying the emulator creates the can bus signal to switch the comand unit over...

not sure I can offer any help. does the emulator, camera and or supplier instructions claim this is all you need? or does it state the car needs coding?

looking at your picture.... it looks more like its the programmer to code the car, not a always in place hack to fiddle the software (which is my understanding of an emulator)
Hello, yes it’s correct, the emulator stay on the car , and the programmer , is line a dongle for activation or Coding...

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
The CLK was never designed to have a reverse camera so it will not switch to video input when reverse is engaged.

The green Fakra on the rear of the comand unit is for TV if you have/had that option.

The only NTG2 units that will switch the input when reverse is engaged are the GL/ML/R/V class units.

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
The CLK was never designed to have a reverse camera so it will not switch to video input when reverse is engaged.

The green Fakra on the rear of the comand unit is for TV if you have/had that option.

The only NTG2 units that will switch the input when reverse is engaged are the GL/ML/R/V class units.

Hello,
I know that the CLK has never had an original backup camera. On the other hand there is a green fakra catch behind the car radio, I guess it is for the TV so a video input, so why not use it. There is a dongle at KUFATEC (Very famous sign of diagnosis and emulator) that allows to activate the reversing camera in reverse, so I doubt that it is a fake.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products/coding-interface-rear-view-camera-for-mercedes-ntg-2-38530

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
When i fitted a reversing cam to my 2010 CLS (NTG 2.5) i had to get different software installed to the headunit in order to have the camera option available in an "options" screen so that the headunit knew that when the car was put into reverse it switched to the video screen.

Kenny

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
after I do not know if it's the same for the NTG2 ... could you tell me about this software please or your method.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hello,
I know that the CLK has never had an original backup camera. On the other hand there is a green fakra catch behind the car radio, I guess it is for the TV so a video input, so why not use it. There is a dongle at KUFATEC (Very famous sign of diagnosis and emulator) that allows to activate the reversing camera in reverse, so I doubt that it is a fake.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products/coding-interface-rear-view-camera-for-mercedes-ntg-2-38530

I know all about Kufatec im a big customer of theirs.

The problem you have is that the NTG2 in your car does not have the same firmware on it that the NTG2 in the ML/GL/R class has. You cannot load the firmware from one of these onto your NTG2. The Comand unit you have will not automatically switch to the video input signal when you engage reverse.

It might be possible to have the system think there is a TV tuner in the car and then when you select reverse you press the video button and the image will appear. However, this will require an emulator that makes the Comand think there is a TV tuner present. No guarantee that it will work though.

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
yes I understand your opinion but on the website kufatec, and I contacted them to get info by mail and he told me that it was for the NTG2 but they did not tell me that it was exclusively for the ML / GR / R.
Then as I did not buy the emulator at home but at a reseller, they could not give me much info what I understand. But the only questions I could ask I understood that the vehicle was compatible because I gave them all the information on the vehicle and I even sent them the file that was in the emulator.
In my many researches and I can say that I did a lot lol I saw a person on a forum that said it was necessary to press the video button, so I have not tried this method at all because I have seen it very recently, but I will try as soon as I have the opportunity. After what seems odd to me is that on the site of KoufaTech it is mentioned that the camera will activate the passage of reverse.

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
yes I understand your opinion but on the website kufatec, and I contacted them to get info by mail and he told me that it was for the NTG2 but they did not tell me that it was exclusively for the ML / GR / R.
Then as I did not buy the emulator at home but at a reseller, they could not give me much info what I understand. But the only questions I could ask I understood that the vehicle was compatible because I gave them all the information on the vehicle and I even sent them the file that was in the emulator.
In my many researches and I can say that I did a lot lol I saw a person on a forum that said it was necessary to press the video button, so I have not tried this method at all because I have seen it very recently, but I will try as soon as I have the opportunity. After what seems odd to me is that on the site of KoufaTech it is mentioned that the camera will activate the passage of reverse.

The Kufatec module cannot change the firmware in the CLK NTG2. It can enable the reverse camera option in an NTG2 that has firmware capable of supporting the camera but your car does not have that firmware. Kufatec nor anyone else can change that firmware. What some customers do is to get an ML/GL/R class NTG2, change the front panel for one from a CLK and use that.

I've given you my advice based on years of installing these for a living. If you want to take other advice then that is entirely up to you.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This sounds to me like the query will be best dealt with by Kufatec as they are the ones who designed it.

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
This sounds to me like the query will be best dealt with by Kufatec as they are the ones who designed it.

yes I know that only kufatec is able to give me the good forecast on this module, but as I said I bought it from an Amazon reseller who sells for kufatec, and kufatec told me to get closer to the seller because I did not buy directly from them ... and the seller is not the best suited to answer the technical question .. he would have to know someone (forum or other) who knows a person at kufatec for ask him the question and to be on.

@Alfie Do not worry, I do not question your knowledge . I'm just trying to ask why this company sells a module that is compatible with the NTG2 comand but does not specify that it must be present on a particular model. And as I do not know anyone in this company I can not be confirmed that I bought a module for nothing ....

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Alfie (who has loads of experience upgrading Mercedes over many years) is saying indeed Kufatec support a reversing camera aftermarket option that auto switches some NTG2 headunits….

and you bought one....

but they should have known (but sounds like they don't actually realise) that there is more than one variant of an NTG2 headunit, one that can be coded and operate as expected and other NTG2 units (yours) that only support manual (user instigated) switching to a video input

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
Alfie (who has loads of experience upgrading Mercedes over many years) is saying indeed Kufatec support a reversing camera aftermarket option that auto switches some NTG2 headunits….

and you bought one....

but they should have known (but sounds like they don't actually realise) that there is more than one variant of an NTG2 headunit, one that can be coded and operate as expected and other NTG2 units (yours) that only support manual (user instigated) switching to a video input

Hello, I do not put in doubt the knowledge of ALFIE, on the contrary and I thank him for dealing with my subject .. I'm just saying that it's really weird that this well-known and reputable company in this area, do not know not that there are several units NTG2 and sell this module to everyone without knowing ... another thing, I do not understand the end of your answer : «
other NTG2 units (yours) that only support manual (user instigated) switching to a video input »
, could you explain it to me otherwise please .. .thank you

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Hello, I do not put in doubt the knowledge of ALFIE, on the contrary and I thank him for dealing with my subject .. I'm just saying that it's really weird that this well-known and reputable company in this area, do not know not that there are several units NTG2 and sell this module to everyone without knowing ... another thing, I do not understand the end of your answer : «
other NTG2 units (yours) that only support manual (user instigated) switching to a video input »
, could you explain it to me otherwise please .. .thank you

BOTUS is correctly saying that your NTG2 unit requires a button to be pressed to get the image on the screen. The other NTG2 units in an ML/GL/R automatically switch when reverse gear is selected.

OP
J

Jet_sex

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk/2005/2.7 cdi
BOTUS is correctly saying that your NTG2 unit requires a button to be pressed to get the image on the screen. The other NTG2 units in an ML/GL/R automatically switch when reverse gear is selected.

Ok si for my NTG2 , I can install a backup camera but I will have to press the video button to get the image, is that it ...? tell me if I'm wrong ...

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom