Rebooting a C-Class....

Reaction score
Well, my wonderful “Mercs never go wrong” car went wrong again today. Although, it seems to have fixed itself too with the aid of the automotive equivalent of a reboot. I was driving along quite happily, sun shining, birds singing (you get the picture), doing 60 on cruise when the car in front slowed down a bit. I lightly depressed the break pedal and then the guy in front sped up again. So I went back up to 60, tweaked the cruise stick and …. the car started slowing down. Tweaked it again and nothing.

Next I tried the speed limiter. The little light came on on the end of the stork but nothing on the screen to show the limiter was on. I tried tugging, pulling pushing etc but nothing made any difference. When I got the opportunity I stopped, turned the engine off, restarted and pulled away. Still nothing.

A little later I found somewhere else to pull over but this time turned the car off, removed the key and waited for a few moments and then put it in and started up again. Fortunately this seemed to do the trick and everything was sunshine and birdsong again.

I guess this is the problem with having everything controlled by computers these days. It would be nice to be able to re-boot the car on the fly but as long as this was just a “glitch” I guess I can live with it. As long as it doesn’t do it again…..

Anyone else had this problem?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I believe cruise control shuts down with safe mode. The commoon trigger to drop into safe mode is acceleration and restarting the engine will clear it -
So, possibly the MAS (I sound like a stuck record!) but get the fault codes read as it could equally be a cruise control unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would do nothing, just leave it. try the SL if you want fun with the electrics.

Malcolm

OP
O
Reaction score
it didn't go into safe mode, apart from the cruise/speed limiter everything else remained working as normal. I checked for faults and it said there were none. When I drove home everything was fine. I'll just put it down as "one of those things" and keep various parts crossed that it doesn't happen again.

I was thinking for a moment that I would be able to put the Service Plus to the test to see just how much it really covers......

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have had it happen once and only once, and again like you a power down reset cured it. I was past the my delear a couple of days later and they read the faults for me and nothing was listed.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
television said:
I would do nothing, just leave it. try the SL if you want fun with the electrics.

Malcolm

the w220 cant be far off, i guess thats why i still love my w124

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mioba said:
the w220 cant be far off, i guess thats why i still love my w124
The 124 was a great car, still tempted at times when I see a nice one.

Malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
television said:
The 124 was a great car, still tempted at times when I see a nice one.

Malcolm

So is the 220 a great car. Mine's now up to 18,000 miles (new Dec 2005), has had a service at 13,500 miles for £235 at my local Merc dealer, and one litre of oil while driving to Nice and back. No complaints so far. Fabulous to drive. Love every minute of it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hawk20 said:
So is the 220 a great car. Mine's now up to 18,000 miles (new Dec 2005), has had a service at 13,500 miles for £235 at my local Merc dealer, and one litre of oil while driving to Nice and back. No complaints so far. Fabulous to drive. Love every minute of it.
I must get to Watford in the next few days and test drive my friends brand new one,full loaded with every option, he loves it.

malcolm

OP
O
Reaction score
grrrrr, the cruise control died again today. :sad: Exactly the same symptoms as last time. Been driving along fine, flipping in and out of cruise on the A27 around Chichester, pulled off a round-about onto the dual carraige way, flipped cruise and nothing happened. Tried the speed limited and again nothing happens (other than the light coming on on the end of the stork). Other than that everything seems to work fine.

Stopped at Tesco, came back out again (after pushing my blood pressure up quite a bit - why are people buying Christmas food already?!) and the car was fine all the way home.

It's in for a B service on the 14th and I'll get them to have a look at it but I'm getting no error message so I'm guessing they'll get no error codes. Can anyone suggest what I can tell them to look at?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
OmniCognateNeutronRangler said:
Stopped at Tesco, came back out again (after pushing my blood pressure up quite a bit - why are people buying Christmas food already?!) and the car was fine all the way home.

It's in for a B service on the 14th and I'll get them to have a look at it but I'm getting no error message so I'm guessing they'll get no error codes. Can anyone suggest what I can tell them to look at?
I don't know, why are you buying Christmas food already? :confused: :p

As for what to ask the dealers to look for, stored fault codes in the first insatnce.

OP
O
Reaction score
A while back I had the remote locking go on the fritz and they replaced the electronic gubbins that interprets the signal received from the key. Could the 2 problems be linked in some way? A more endemic electionc failure of some kind like the ECU?

OP
O
Reaction score
hmmmm, I had ANOTHER problem with the car today. I have just been to the shops and I noticed the remote locking (and boot open) stopped working again. You may recall I had large chunks of electronics replaced back in May (ish). As before it only worked from teh infra red sensor on the door.

However, I drove the car home. Took the keys out and locked the doors from inside with the remote and now the locking seems to be working fine again.

Given the problems with the cruise control, and now the central locking does this sound like it may be an ECU problem?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom