1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul 22

Paul 22 New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    C220 sport
    first off hello to every one ...
    After a bit of advice , had the safety recall for my c220 13 reg about rework steering column to do with air bag, had recall done Wednesday mrs took it , I got in it yesterday and steering wheel is off center , wasn’t like it before .... does any one know if steering wheel has to be removed to do this job or what is exactly involved , main dealer is trying to tell me wheels need aligning and it’s nothing they’ve done , it wasn’t like it before it went to them, waiting for them to ring back to get it booked in for them to look at. Don’t trust em to tell me it’s something they’ve done , just want to go there armed with a bit of info .,
    Thanks for any replies Paul.

grahamcol likes this.
  2. ioweddie

ioweddie Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    Mine was done recently, no problems! Esplanade IOW also a recall for Autobox software update done as well

3. grahamcol

grahamcol Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2001 SLK230, 2000 C280 V6
    I believe there is a mark on the wheel which should correspond with a mark on the column shaft when the steering wheel is put back. It could be they havent aligned it correctly. If it was ok before then I'd argue they've caused this as it wasn't like it before. Shoddy work and trying to fob you off in my humble opinion.

4. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    ask carefully if your Mrs met a kerb on route
    if not and no sign of tyre or wheel damage ask how the air bag work is carried out...
    then ask the person who physically did the work how they did it

then tell them to sort it

5. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    In general the wheel is removed to change the airbag. Whilst possible to do without its its a lot more difficult