1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomended diagnostic testers please.

Discussion in 'Mercedes Goods on eBay' started by NicholasB, Dec 3, 2017.

1. NicholasB

NicholasB Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    C180 2008 Petrol Kompressor
    Any current recomendations please for a value for money diagnostic tester. (I'm in the UK)

And of course any to avoid.

Thanks

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Depending how involved you want to get...
    iCarsoft i980
    iCarsoft MB-II
    STAR clone from China.

There's an autel one and also Delphi and for your phone Carly.

3. BeeJay

BeeJay Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL 350 (2008) and Lexus LS 430 (2003)
    I have just bought a Foxwell NT624 Click Here

The need to buy it was because of a problem with my daughter's Suzuki Swift. I primarily bought it because the power steering will intermittently show a fault, and become very heavy for her. This scanner was highly recommended on forums that I read, and allowed me to clear the faults with the Steering Angle Sensors, restoring the power steering. It worked first time, and was very easy to use. The first time the problem occurred we took it to a Suzuki dealer, and ended up paying £600 for diagnostics, leading to fitting of a reconditioned steering column and power steering unit.

I also cleared a fault on my Lexus (which is a long story).

Thus far I have not needed it for my SL or my wife's B-Class - perhaps I should not have said that in case they are listening ;)

This particular scanner can be used with 50+ makes of cars, including Mercedes. It comes with 18 months of updates, allowing you to add new models and makes. Many forums suggest that the updates are actually free for life.

There was something I did not fully understand when I received the scanner, I emailed the seller in China and got a good reply within hours.

Perhaps there is someone on this forum who has used this brand of scanner with their Mercedes?

The price is about £200- £250 in the UK, although I bought mine from China for £150 (incl delivery) with £20 of duty payable.

4. Richard Moakes

Richard Moakes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1991 R129.066 M119.960; 2005 W164.175 M113
    I have also had good success on W164 and W211 with the Carecar AET-1

LostKiwi likes this.
  5. BeeJay

BeeJay Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL 350 (2008) and Lexus LS 430 (2003)
    A fundamental decision is whether you just want to read and clear faults, or make minor changes. A trivial example would be resetting the service indicator.

Before purchasing mine I contacted a company in Swansea, asking whether one of the models they sold would do the job with the Suzuki (see above). They advised me that my initial choice would only read and clear faults, and directed me to the Foxwell NT624.