1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a leather care product

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by Capra, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    I've been using an all in one cleaner conditioner. I'm not sure if it's any good, the leather looks clean, not sure how conditioned it is.
    Should I be using a separate cleaner and conditioner?

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    To a certain extent conditioners don't do much on most cars.
    There are three broad types of leather:
    Aniline, semi-aniline and coated.

Aniline leathers are like oiled leathers. If they get wet they absorb the liquid and it soaks into the fibres. They are generally very soft and a pain to clean as oils will always be absorbed. They also show nicks and scrapes extremely easily.

Coated leathers have a thin plastic coating bonded to the outer material. These are easy to keep clean and hard wearing.

Semi-aniline are sort of a half way house between the two where a finer coating is used than a full coated leather. They are softer than coated leathers but not as soft as aniline.

There are other variations as well such as pull-up (a type of aniline) and nubuck (a brushed aniline) but these are uncommon in cars.

Most cars use a coated leather. The easy way to tell is to drop water on the leather. If it beads up or isn't absorbed its a coated leather. If it soaks in like on a sponge its aniline.

A coated leather by its very nature will not absorb a conditioner. The conditioner will just sit on the surface and be wiped off.
    Semi aniline likewise will not absorb much conditioner due to the plastic coating whereas aniline will soak it up like a sponge.

The only time a conditioner will be absorbed on a coated or semi-aniline leather is where there are creases. In these areas the crease creates a weakness in the coating which the conditioner will penetrate.

Good description here:
    http://www.leathermasteruk.com/index_leather_types.htm

Headhurts and Capra like this.
  3. OP
    Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Thanks LostKiwi, great info as always. I think mine just has the coated leather. I had a look in the garage and I have a bottle of Simoniz Protection Leather Treatment, so that will be good enough for mine.

4. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
  5. OP
    Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
  6. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    Go Gliptone. It's astonishing (and revolting!) what happens to eg your steering wheel or gear selector knob!

7. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    And you can do a Malcolm and leave the old rag used for applying it under the seat to get a nice leather smell all through the car ;)

Wighty, rexemper and Craiglxviii like this.
  8. C350Carl

C350Carl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 E250 CDI AMG Sport Estate
    I used gliptone and have no complaints with it.

9. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    I’ve been using Meguairs recently , it seems as good as the gliptone and seems to leave a more leathery smell for longer - at least to my nose anyway...:geek:

Capra and C350Carl like this.
  10. rexemper

rexemper Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
    I've used Gliptone (after being recommended on here) and it works really well. I like the idea above of leaving the rag under the seat to get the leather smell for longer - sounds like a typical Malcolm innovation, God bless his soul.

keefysher and Capra like this.