Refurb vs replacements

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Painting is a waste of time and money. When I bought mine the dealer said they would re-furb the wheels. What they actually did was had them dressed and painted. Three months later I was getting them powder coated because the paint had peeled off so don't waste time and money, just get them powder coated. :)
Thanks Andy. have a you got a picture of yours, Do you have the same 5 spoke as me?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
These are mine, they are 18's :-

33284-927dfadc548e072edcbfbac9f662333c.jpg

33285-0999e2fbe8e219b6bc8c123b2e2e0cb8.jpg

I did quite a lengthy post regarding my experience with the excellent wheel refurbers. Not sure how to copy it to this post but if you search using 'Buckenham' as the key word you will find it. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Painting is a waste of time and money. When I bought mine the dealer said they would re-furb the wheels. What they actually did was had them dressed and painted. Three months later I was getting them powder coated because the paint had peeled off, so don't waste time and money, just get them powder coated. :)

This ^^^^^^

Get them done properly in full "Hi Power" silver powdercoat

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These are mine, they are 18's :-

33284-927dfadc548e072edcbfbac9f662333c.jpg

33285-0999e2fbe8e219b6bc8c123b2e2e0cb8.jpg

I did quite a lengthy post regarding my experience with the excellent wheel refurbers. Not sure how to copy it to this post but if you search using 'Buckenham' as the key word you will find it. :)
Will do cheers. Looks good.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Just had mine powder coated in silver, they were Matt black with a diamond cut face.
7d68912cb350c1173d54ccc922d17c6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had mine powder coated in silver, they were Matt black with a diamond cut face.
7d68912cb350c1173d54ccc922d17c6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow they look excellent. I had set on powder coating, but was intrigued by these cheap quote.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Wow they look excellent. I had set on powder coating, but was intrigued by these cheap quote.

£300, for the refurb a local place to me in Northamptonshire “The Wheel Clinic”.
They had 2 Brand new Range Rovers in while I was there, having the wheels done in gloss black.
Apparently it’s cheaper to have them done this way, instead of ordering gloss black when purchasing the vehicle ?

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
£300, for the refurb a local place to me in Northamptonshire “The Wheel Clinic”.
They had 2 Brand new Range Rovers in while I was there, having the wheels done in gloss black.
Apparently it’s cheaper to have them done this way, instead of ordering gloss black when purchasing the vehicle ?
Ok thanks. I can well believe that knowing how much options cost.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

It will be, they charge a fortune for black wheels, Porsche charge £1200 to have Yellow or Red wheels which could be done for £300

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I have found a mobile chap that can refurb and paint the wheels. He has a pain booth in the back of his van. The cost will be £200. Does that price sound too cheap, if I wanted diamond cut then that would be £320.

Don't do it sir!

Painting is a total pita it doesn't last and the detailing needed to keep them clean and in good nick will emotionally bankrupt you.

Get them powder coated!!

Job done, and a wash once a week and polish every couple of months will keep them pristine.

Last edited:
OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't do it sir!

Painting is a total pita it doesn't last and the detailing needed to keep them clean and in good nick will emotionally bankrupt you.

Get them powder coated!!

Job done, and a wash once a week and polish every couple of months will keep them pristine.
Thanks Jimbo. I've already found someone that can powder coat.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Thanks Jimbo. I've already found someone that can powder coat.

I was speaking from personal experience sir, it got to the stage that I hated wash time on that car, if I had known that the dealer was going to paint them when I bought it, rather than powder coat, I'd have told him not to bother.

As it was, and this is coming from someone who acknowledges his own personal OCD regarding car cleaning, I replaced the alloys with a newly refurbished powder coated set after just 6 months from my purchase date.

The original wheels nearly drove me crazy (relatively easy as I'm already halfway there, lol), with the fading, bubbling and flaking. Hmmm, it just occurred to me.....maybe I washed them too much?

The new (refurbed and powder coated) set never gave me any trouble at all, it was just clean when dirty, occasional polish every couple of months, end of story.

You will enjoy yours more when you get them done, speaking from experience again, lol. ;)

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was speaking from personal experience sir, it got to the stage that I hated wash time on that car, if I had known that the dealer was going to paint them when I bought it, rather than powder coat, I'd have told him not to bother.

As it was, and this is coming from someone who acknowledges his own personal OCD regarding car cleaning, I replaced the alloys with a newly refurbished powder coated set after just 6 months from my purchase date.

The original wheels nearly drove me crazy (relatively easy as I'm already halfway there, lol), with the fading, bubbling and flaking. Hmmm, it just occurred to me.....maybe I washed them too much?

The new (refurbed and powder coated) set never gave me any trouble at all, it was just clean when dirty, occasional polish every couple of months, end of story.

You will enjoy yours more when you get them done, speaking from experience again, lol. ;)
No problem, I agree with what you have said completely. I used to watch "wheeler dealers" and they always used powder coating. Everyone says that it's much tougher. When they're finally done I'll post up. Cheers.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
No problem, I agree with what you have said completely. I used to watch "wheeler dealers" and they always used powder coating. Everyone says that it's much tougher. When they're finally done I'll post up. Cheers.
As every body has said Powder Coating is the only way forward. You will be delighted with finished product, that I am sure of. It makes a huge difference to the appearance of the car :D

Last edited:
OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As every body has said Powder Coating is the only way forward. You will be delighted with finished product, that I am sure of. I makes a huge difference to the appearance of the car :D
I'll be getting them done, just had a few things to pay for this summer :).

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom