1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remap, yes or no.

Discussion in 'Tuning, Styling and Performance.' started by Rob.T, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Rob.T

Rob.T Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2011 Estate CDi 200 Sport.
    I was considering getting my 2011 Cdi 200 estate remapped, when I talked with Mercare about it they told me not to get it done they don't recommend remapping any car.
    So what's the problem, is it safe, are there any pitfalls, why would they not recommend?

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Plenty of maps work well, some cause issues.
    Much will depend on the state of the engine before mapping and how it's driven.
    The only thing to bear in mind isxa remapped car (when driven hard) will be under more stress than a standard car so can reasonably be expected to have a shorter life.

Rob.T likes this.
  3. bembo449

bembo449 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    216 5.5 v8 , range rover vogue , alfa romeo brera
    I cant think if a single reason not to remap a car , especially a diesel car , I have all four of my current cars mapped inc my old range rover , yes occasionally ive read about mapping issues but ive certainly never had any in over 20 remapped cars that ive owned

Capra and Rob.T like this.
  4. Capra

Capra Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
    Have you ever had any reliability issues? I suppose if you stress an engine/gearbox over and above what it was designed to do overtime something could break?

5. V12TTGUY

V12TTGUY Member

Your Mercedes:
    W220 S600 Biturbo
    I have had cars where after remap there have been issues but I would say it was down the general wear and tear (ie injectors worn on a very high mileage diesel which is going to happen sooner or later. or had clutch on a e60 m5 wore out but very common issue on that car with the mileage it was on)
    my mum has had 3 diesel vehicles remapped and all done lots of motorway miles at times then lots of town driving but again no issues.

id say if your a careful ish driver and don't abuse the car and the car itself is mechanically healthy then all should be fine with a tune/remap :)

Rob.T likes this.
  6. houseboss2

houseboss2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 09/09 (2010 my) Still 34K Palladium/Black
    NO to the original question