remarkable mileage

mjrennie

Reaction score
i am getting 46 mpg from my clk 270 cdi. on a run from coventry to bicester, i got 51mpg last tuesday. amazing car, amazing.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I assume you have just bought the car judging by your euphoria.

Welcome to the 'Happy Oil Burners Club'.

I look on it this way, I save enough on fuel costs to pay for servicing and as another bonus I get an engine thats as responsive as a petrol, sounds good, and has the torque characteristics of a big V8 petrol thrown in.

The CDi units have brought another dimension to the world of diesel engines.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If those figures are worked out manually then you are doing very well. If however they are from the trip computer then I would hate to disapoint you by saying that it is inacurate.

124coupe

Reaction score
Enjoy it! The later cars with the EU4 etc strangulation gear on can only hope to see 40mpg in anything other than a snail cruise.

They do still GO though!

I get 36 ish from the S211 E280CDI with the remap, it was 34 ish before. Mix of town and 85-95 indicated motorway.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
mjrennie said:
i am getting 46 mpg from my clk 270 cdi. on a run from coventry to bicester, i got 51mpg last tuesday. amazing car, amazing.

First: fill tank to brim. Set 'miles since reset' to zero. Drive a long way till fairly low. Refill to brim. See miles done on computer. Count number of litres on the pump. Divide by 4.55 litres per UK gallon (4.548 to be more accurate) to see how many gallons you have used. Divide miles done by gallons used.

If you have done the above accurately and got the figures you quote in English traffic ..... well I'll be very surprised. If this check shows difference to computer economy then go and get service department to reset. Can be accurate but sometimes aren't.:)

A US gallon is 3.79 litres. For once the British one is bigger (20%) than the American one!

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
hawk20 said:
First: fill tank to brim. Set 'miles since reset' to zero. Drive a long way till fairly low. Refill to brim. See miles done on computer. Count number of litres on the pump. Divide by 4.55 litres per UK gallon (4.548 to be more accurate) to see how many gallons you have used. Divide miles done by gallons used.

If you have done the above accurately and got the figures you quote in English traffic ..... well I'll be very surprised. If this check shows difference to computer economy then go and get service department to reset. Can be accurate but sometimes aren't.:)

A US gallon is 3.79 litres. For once the British one is bigger (20%) than the American one!
4.54609 to be correct ltrs to the Imperial Gallon ;-). Due to the vagaries of fuel pump cut off you need to conduct the fill up and record over a long period for an accurate gauge to fuel economy. I recommend around 95,000 miles :D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Blobcat said:
4.54609 to be correct ltrs to the Imperial Gallon ;-). Due to the vagaries of fuel pump cut off you need to conduct the fill up and record over a long period for an accurate gauge to fuel economy. I recommend around 95,000 miles :D

That is a very fair test. My figure came from Oxford Reference Library. Never trust an expert!
My nephew turned up this weekend with their new 2 month old baby and his 1989 230 E class. Turned over the 140,000 mile mark on his way from London to Hampshire. He said he never checks the fuel economy and is only interested in depreciation because he reckons he hasn't got any now.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Blobcat said:

Its alright for some, but I have not got that long to go :(

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm,
If you do 1,000 miles per day it will only take you 95 days...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Blobcat said:
Malcolm,
If you do 1,000 miles per day it will only take you 95 days...

I have to give it to you, your memory is first class on many accounts and postings ;)

malcolm

OP
M

mjrennie

Reaction score
oh, so its not true then. i only read the crude fidure from the info on the dash. ah well, i still say i save about 50% on the audi tt 3.2 i traded it for. more space too and seeing as i am male, the tt had to go! it was very quick though!

not as good as the sl320 i has before that. now that was a dream. turned nightmare though.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's not that bad, mine reads just over 40mpg average which is actually 36.5mpg so if yours is averaging 46mpg on the trip then you are still doing well.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
mjrennie said:
oh, so its not true then. i only read the crude fidure from the info on the dash. ah well, i still say i save about 50% on the audi tt 3.2 i traded it for. more space too and seeing as i am male, the tt had to go! it was very quick though!

not as good as the sl320 i has before that. now that was a dream. turned nightmare though.

No; let's be careful. A lot have done the full check I described earlier and found the computer is accurate. Yours could be. Just do one tankful to check and if not accurate they can reset.

My wife got 45mpg often from our E270cdi. I couldn't beat 42/3. People vary a lot. Accelerating to rush past people only to meet them again at the next junction or snarl-up drinks juice but it has its pleasures!:)

OP
M

mjrennie

Reaction score
well, i have taken tio driving to save fuel when i am on one to see how far it can go. coasting downhill, slow accelration, etc help enormously. sad, but it has been a laugh to see how far it can go. given the size of the beast, 40 plus is amazing anywhay.

Reaction score
and I used to regularly get 50mpg out of my A6 1.9TDi and on occasion (travelling to Stevenage round the M25 for instance) got 62mpg from it. I never got less than an average of 45mpg, even driving like a spanner. It's was cool seeing the remaining mileage reading 1100 miles - never got that though. In most cases I would get around 700-800 miles to a tank of diesel. However, I've been there and done that. I'll put up with my Merc's addiction to petrol stations so I don't have to put up with having to drive a diesel any more. I know that wont be a very popular comment but having owned one(for 5 years) I can say the ONLY thing diesel drivers talk about is MPG and "when you get over 30 mpg you really can't tell it's a diesel".....yawn.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
mjrennie said:

Are you going to try a one tankful check on the computer readings? Interesting to know if your excellent figures are genuine or very close to it?

Top Bottom