Remote Roof Module R230 CMR230 Installation question

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hi All,

I wasn't planing for this to be my first real post, but I've run into a few problems and would appreciate some help.

I recently bought a CMR230 Remote Roof Module for my SL from www.cabrio-module.de on ebay.

Here's a link to the auction: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361243007582?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am having trouble knowing if it has been fitted correctly. There isn't a lot of information on its installation, but I think it works in a similar way to the popular mod4cars Smarttop module.

I used the CAN bus in the passenger footwell (left-side) of my RHD car. Instructions state to just remove the only black/black-brown wire and put the module inbetween to complete the circuit. I have also grounded the module and attahed to a 12V cable, I have used the slightly thick red/green one as I did not have a solid red cable or a red-purple cable as per the instructions. I have also checked the voltage of the module to ground and it reads a solid 12.2 ish volts.

I have tested the remote feature several times and it doesn't seem to work. As the default setting is to be in passive mode when installed, I have no idea if it is working, connected properly etc...

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMAG4518.jpg
    IMAG4518.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The black/brown is correct as this goes to the rear X can where the roof operates from.

I do not know what the wire is that you have joined up to is, it must be an all time live.

From memory on the one that I had you had to activate on the phone some how, but I am not sure.

I must try and remember who bought my last one, I think that ianinplymouth has put one in his 230.

Many have them fitted, be patient and someone should answer better

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Thanks for your response. I cant PM Ian because I dont think I have enough posts, so will have to wait.

Why did you sell your old module, did your new SL come with it already?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your response. I cant PM Ian because I dont think I have enough posts, so will have to wait.

Why did you sell your old module, did your new SL come with it already?

I did not think that I was going to have another, I will be buying another module shortly.

I can PM Ian in the morning

Last edited:
OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Yes, I bet you couldn't resist it. I don't see myself ever not having an SL now. If you could PM Ian that would be great. Which module will you be going for this time? I feel like the mod4cars version is a bit more refined than the CMR230 I have, but almost double the price!

Do you know if there is a CAN bus on the driver side (right) as the instructions say to fit on that side, but I picked the passenger (left) footwell because I couldnt get the carpet to lift up to see anything because of the pedals (I did notice the wiring loom to the transmission module was soaked in gearbox oil, but that's another post!).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You did the right side, there is a CAN connection drivers side, but too hard to get to as seat and throttle must come out. The instructions are for LHD cars.

The rear connection is easy, but the rear side panel has to come off.

Your pilot bush seal has failed on the side of the gearbox, a new one £30 from MB, take care when fitting and torque only 3-4 nm the wiring harness will drain itself and it does no harm as oil is not conductive

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Oh ok, is the pilot bush the same as the gear box connector here?: http://r.ebay.com/LBUSHi
I had that replaced when I changed the gearbox oil. The previous oil was yellow, and the replacement oil used was red, as all the oil I saw looked very yellow, I hope that is the end of the problem.

I thought exactly that the instructions were for LHD cars as the instruction pictures show the car from the left also. I did email the seller directly saying that I was fitting to a UK RHD drive car, but his only response was to fit it to the driver side! Hence why now I don't have a clue what I am doing. Hopefully Ian can clear things up for me in the morning!

Of which I have to try and make to the Mercedes dealership to pick up some replacement CAN connectors as I have destroyed the ones for the black/black-brown cable when I turned the car on, realising the module was not connected properly to complete the CAN loop. The car started fine, but then kept running even after turning ingition key off and pulling it out!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Ignition position 2, hold 'terminate call' button for over 3 seconds and a single tone should indicate the module is active. Do the same again and three tones indicate 'service mode'.

Here... http://www.cabrio-module.de/download

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. I have checked those instructions, and held that hang up button on the steering wheel many times, and I do not hear any kind of audible tone.

Is there something else I need to do to enable it? Maybe the module doesn't work? I have checked the voltage and it does appear to be connected to a 12v (thick green\red) line, does it look connected correctly in the picture?

Finally, is there a way for me to test that the module is working?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have the CAN wires off still it cannot work, shame you did not know of that locking bar for the CAN plug holder, you will need to remove it to refit the new connector, please observe the CAN colours and they must go in the right way round.

Would you like a picture on the CAn plug socket

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Oh no, I think there is some confusion, the CAN is working and connected properly on the car now, it is as shown in the very first picture, I have bought new pins and hopefully housing to replace the old one. It has been working completely fine though.

I just now don't seem to be able to get the remote module to work.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are sure the wires are on the right colours, the brown must connect to the brown and the brown/black must connect to the brown/red did you use the phone to activate it.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Sorry to double post. Alex, did you install the CMR230 on the driver's side or passenger?

Television, I am messaging the guy now and he says it definately has to be on the driver side of the car for "technical" reasons...

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
I had one of these and just could not get it to work.
I hope you have better luck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That just is not so as these CAN wires go round the car, I had mine in the rear socket behind the seat in the X3017, you can see it here. You are plugged into the X3015 that goes to 16 and 17. No one has to remove the drivers seat to do this job

Mail0005_zpsa9c7a929.jpg

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Wow, so been talking to seller, and he says that the reason the module cant work in the passenger side is because the it has to work on the CAN on the right side of the car. So suggested that the boot may also work but doesnt have instructions.

Can anyone confirm the CAN is different between left and right side of the car? I'm going to quick read through one of Television's post to see as well!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As you can see in the picture its all on CAN connected together, there is no particular CAN for either side of the car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We no longer talk about right and left, its easier to say drivers side and passengers side.

OP
imkaz

imkaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Thanks for the diagram, it looks like X3017 is the furthest away from the front? and maybe the module needs to be closer to work. I believe in one of your posts the CAN in behind the driver seat also looks after the roof?

I think I should look into loosening the pedal to get the carpet up and try that way...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the diagram, it looks like X3017 is the furthest away from the front? and maybe the module needs to be closer to work. I believe in one of your posts the CAN in behind the driver seat also looks after the roof?

I think I should look into loosening the pedal to get the carpet up and try that way...

That is not right, X3017 is the CAN connector on the same block as the roof ECU, the one behind the drivers seat.

I will start a new thread on this.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom