Removing stuck brake discs - tip (W211)

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
I've just replaced the front discs on my S211 with Pagid ones from ECP (great price & service btw, thanks!).

One of the discs came off with no problem, but the other was firmly stuck to the hub. Most of the internet seemed to be advocating the use of successively larger hammers to remove it, but I didn't like that idea given that the impact would be being absorbed by my bearings. Then I found this:

[youtube]mtsTJCRljAs[/youtube]

Genius idea. I dug out a couple of suitable-sized coachbolts and set to work. I wound in a steady static load on the side of the disc - not too much, as this isn't a load that the caliper bracket is meant to be taking - and a sharp tap with a hammer popped the disc off. The aftermath:

attachment.php

Cleaned up the hub face, new disc fitted, and it all went back together easily.

attachment.php

Tools used: 17mm socket to remove wheel bolts, 18mm socket and extension bar to remove caliper bolts, T30 Torx to remove disc retaining screw, E10 Torx to remove pad wear sensor connector mount (optional), 11mm spanner for bleed nipple. Hammer for disc removal, largish flatblade screwdriver to force the piston back a few mm (stick it in the recess between the pad and piston and twist gently). You should work out a way of supporting the caliper without straining the brake line - I used a railway sleeper offcut. Obviously, if you're doing this job, support the car properly and safely, and torque all bolts to the recommended values.

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,057
  • disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,051
Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Very good and noted, I am pleased that you took better care of your calliper amd hose than the one in the link :D

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
- I used a railway sleeper offcut. Obviously, if you're doing this job, support the car properly and safely, and torque all bolts to the recommended values.

Dang! I knew there was a reason why all those trains were derailing!

Seriously - a very good and sound idea. About to do mine, so I will use this method if needed.

Baz

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
Nice tip, thanks for that :D

It looks like it would be wearing some safety specs though when using this removal procedure.

I usually find it is only ever the first disc change in my ownership of a car that is a problem. Subsequent ones are no issue at all. Usually it is the disc retaining screw that causes most issue for me.

OP
T

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
It looks like it would be wearing some safety specs though when using this removal procedure.

Not a bad plan. I also put three of the wheel bolts in loosely in case the disc popped off in a hurry.

The other advantage of this versus the hammer method is that the force and the reaction are both on the vehicle, so it's not putting any force on the axle stands and jack.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
This excellent post should be in the DIY section can one of the Mods oblige ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Consider it obliged :)

Please leave a foot note in that the calliper should never be left hanging on the flexible hoses as in the link

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Cable tie to the spring does the job nice!!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cable tie to the spring does the job nice!!!!

Thanks Cole,,every time the one in the link hit the disc you can see the calliper jumping. Troon who put up the link did it correctly

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Good idea, but can't see any reason for the second nut fitted to the business end of the bolt..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good idea, but can't see any reason for the second nut fitted to the business end of the bolt..

That is to stop damaging the thread on the end of the bolt

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
That method is still pushing against the bearing. I used to do mine with a large puller. I put a big bit of iron accross the center of the hub for it to push on. Wind the thing up and then stand well back and give it a little teeny tap with a hammer. The disk jumps off the hub with a real bang. Great fun.

PhiliusM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 350; Megane
Hammer, yes, but little more than a toffee hammer and really just one little tap. Very satisfying for some reason.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom