Renew rip off

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Well had me sl ins with kwik fit this year£250.fully comp,me and Mrs ,
Got renew today ,nearly passed out,£732.nowt as changed,we'll have out private reg on it.
Rang them to find out what's going on,the guy said see if he can do it cheaper £440. He had no idea why it had gone up so much,I told him to cancel it ,so I'm going to look else were now apart from compère the you know we're site ,is it worth trying this Chris knots peps,
even the guy from kwik fit said he wouldn't renew at that,just shows what a rip off this ins merlarky is

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That is what I was changing, very interesting to know what you find out at the end, I will need to shop and looking around soon.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
In my experience Aviva and Direct Line are competitive. Been with Aviva for over 2 years and both renewals haven't been excessive. They are not on comparison sites.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Been with Saga for the MB for a few years now, up until last renewal they had a price match guarantee, even latest renewal they were good. Also added breakdown cover, loads cheaper than AA - and although the phone number you call is Saga, it's apparently the AA that respond!

However, Saga were no good for the 968 - that's been with ClassicLine (has to be a second car, not main car) for many years, their cover automatically includes full EU breakdown and recovery!

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
I did mine through Admiral this year SL350 fully comp for both with protected ncd for £260 which I was happy with. Hope this helps, tried most of them and I even declared the remap in the price above.

Merc125

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Silver Arrow Sl R129 V8 5L, W208 AMG 55, Mazda MXV6 with 3L engine fitted,
Try classic line car insurance 01455 639000, limited mileage policy was brilliant for me and with guaranteed valuation lots inc in policy as standard but with only £100 excess if you are a car club member you get a bigger discount. Good luck

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Shop around every year or they will take the utter ****. It should be criminal how they prey on the ones who don't bother to check and blindly carry on with the same policy each year.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I shop around for all my Insurances and for the time it takes the rate per hour is extraordinary.

Same with everything frustrating but necessary, I always spend the exact amount of savings on a particular item to remind me to bother.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Shop around every year or they will take the utter ****. It should be criminal how they prey on the ones who don't bother to check and blindly carry on with the same policy each year.

Why should it be criminal?

All industries do it. Telecom do offers for new customers that existing ones do not qualify for in order to try to persuade others to swap suppliers. Supermarkets have special offers to try to entice shoppers of other brands to defect to them. Its called business and drives competition. If they couldn't do this, the prices would go up for everyone and those who do shop around would lose out.

If someone is too lazy to look around for the best deal then that is their issue, we don't live in a communist state.

Last edited:

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
We're in the era of what's called 'Dynamic pricing'. Suppliers of goods and services adjust their prices at very short notice in response to changes in supply and demand. You've only to check prices on a major internet supplier - such as Amazon for example - to see this in action.

Dynamic pricing is now aiming to target specific demographics and price products according to the customer's ability to pay. So a low income or 'poor' buyer will be quoted a lower price than a higher income or 'rich' one.

Most of the data to define an individuals 'purchasing ability' comes from the information collected during on-line shopping. The type of shopping you do, the amount you spend and even where you live all help to quantify your status as a potential customer and the price you see for a product on an internet site will become more and more targeted specifically to you as an individual.

Expect to see more of Dynamic Pricing in everything from baked beans to car insurance.

P

peterdh

I've been with LV for a few years now and they have always ended up giving me what I consider to be a reasonable (and competitive) quote so try them. They. as does every other insurer, take the pee when they originally quote for they renewal but they do revise the quote if you can be bothered to query it. For me Chris Knott have been too expensive on the couple of occasions I have tried them.

It is important though not to accept a renewal that drops on the mat however satisfied you have been with the insurer in the past and certainly not sign up for their auto renewal as you will be taken for a ride.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Auto renewal is a compulsory legislation imposed on them by the government due to too many people forgetting to renew their policies.

So, if you change, you must tell your current insurer to stop the auto renewal else it will happen.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Auto renewal is a compulsory legislation imposed on them by the government due to too many people forgetting to renew their policies.

So, if you change, you must tell your current insurer to stop the auto renewal else it will happen.

Yes mate I did and he cancelled my DD ,as well.sending me my proof of ncb in the post.to be honest the guy was very polite and helpful.which isn't always the case when you cancell ,

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
We're in the era of what's called 'Dynamic pricing'. Suppliers of goods and services adjust their prices at very short notice in response to changes in supply and demand. You've only to check prices on a major internet supplier - such as Amazon for example - to see this in action.

Dynamic pricing is now aiming to target specific demographics and price products according to the customer's ability to pay. So a low income or 'poor' buyer will be quoted a lower price than a higher income or 'rich' one.

Most of the data to define an individuals 'purchasing ability' comes from the information collected during on-line shopping. The type of shopping you do, the amount you spend and even where you live all help to quantify your status as a potential customer and the price you see for a product on an internet site will become more and more targeted specifically to you as an individual.

Expect to see more of Dynamic Pricing in everything from baked beans to car insurance.

The richest people I know drive the hardest bargains and want discounts on discounts.

The "poor" generally get the worst deals on day to day items from credit meters to expensive corner shops.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

My Aviva policy isn't auto renewal.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I received an invitation to renew which I did.
I don't have a direct debit set up with Aviva so how can they auto renew?
I may be wrong of course but I don't think its auto renew.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I've been with LV for a few years now and they have always ended up giving me what I consider to be a reasonable (and competitive) quote so try them. They. as does every other insurer, take the pee when they originally quote for they renewal but they do revise the quote if you can be bothered to query it. For me Chris Knott have been too expensive on the couple of occasions I have tried them.

It is important though not to accept a renewal that drops on the mat however satisfied you have been with the insurer in the past and certainly not sign up for their auto renewal as you will be taken for a ride.

Sorry to say that we had been with LV for two years x 2 cars and I did like the fact that you always got to speak to human beings - here in UK. But I fell over when the Merc renewal arrived, so I called and asked why it had gone up (27%!) with no claim for 22 years and they said "we don't know... there could have been too many claims in your postcode, or maybe the model you drive, or maybe... waffle, waffle..." they stopped short of saying "simply because it's you!". - I told them to rearrange the phrase containing nuts, monkey, stick etc and phoned Chris Knott who did do me a good deal.

When the second renewal came I realised that cancelling the policy would cost me more because I get discount on the house policy for having multiple categories with them. When I called they could see I had cancelled one vehicle policy and immediately discounted the price down so I've stayed for the moment.

Prior to LV I was with Saga for donkey's years and cancelled when they tried to stitch me up with a 48% increase!

As others have said you certainly mustn't accept any renewal without shopping around!

- I think insurance companies are a very close "hate" to "Researchers", Timeshare, D/Glazing sales and Estate Agents.
- Ah, but then there's the banks...

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom