1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renew rip off

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Painter16, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    And now... a C63!
    Tried.

Couldn't.

Not even for a new Oleg.

2. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG
    Have you ever had to claim with Admiral?

3. Rotorhead500

Rotorhead500 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    And now... a C63!
    Ah... No.

Had a nightmare with Axa for a no fault claim... 4 months of endless arguments / poking them with a stick to do their job (I'd already done most of it for them!).

And whatever lot Chris Knott came up with (think it was Highway, part of LV group?), utterly useless, happy to get fleeced by a garage charging for things they hadn't done, etc.

4. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG
    Seems like the same sort of experience I had with Admiral, also non fault. In the end I was forced to use a 3rd party claims company to force them to do their job.

They are still chasing for unpaid car rental payments, I tell them to get lost every time and they disappear for 3 months.

The whole thing was a nightmare.

5. ChrisKnottIns

ChrisKnottIns Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    na
    Hi, I'd like to see what's happened to your quote request - did you fill-in our online form? When did you contact us?

best,
    Nick

6. coxyhog

coxyhog Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E500 Sport Coupe
    I just got my renewal quote from Admiral,tried the comparison websites & couldn't get it cheaper.

7. jarvis

jarvis Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    A250 (2016)
    Same here - first time I can remember that the renewal is cheaper than shopping around.

8. craigdm

craigdm Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 SLK CDi
    I always use Quidco Compare.... It's a cashback site and they factor in any cashback offers.

So far I've earned over £3500 in cashback using Quidco!

9. gramey

gramey Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2000 SL320
    I had my auto renewal through from LV on my R129 SL320 and they wanted £525, I tried Hastings and they quoted me £345 but without protected NCD. I went online for a quote with Classic Line, I work shifts, and they wouldn't do an online quote for my car and said I had to ring????
    I then applied for an online quote on LV's website and got quoted £364 for the very same details as they'd quoted me for an auto renewal. I phoned them up and spoke to a very nice young lady who asked me which company had quoted me the £364 so I told her, the company she works for who I'm already insured with and gave her the quote reference number! After a few minutes she came back to me and said they would match the online quote. So why did they try and charge me £525 in the first place, talk about try it on!

sharjah likes this.
  10. peterdh

peterdh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2016 W213 E220d with Command and widescreen display plus comfort seats
    I too am with LV and have been for a number of years. I'm quite happy with them except for their annual renewal quotes which are invariably more expensive than they ought to be. So, at renewal, it is always a matter of jumping through hoops and telephoning them in order to get a reduced premium. It really annoys me to have to go through this pantomime and when I ask the question Why I never get a satisfactory response. So I now expect to have to do it every year. Great shame but that is life I suppose.

11. C350Carl

C350Carl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 E250 CDI AMG Sport Estate
    Exact same issue I have. Also with LV.

I always do a quote for the identical car online first. I then tell them they either match it or I cancel.

Hasn't failed me yet in the last few years and I still make the same complaint every year that existing customers should receive better discounts than new customers for staying loyal.

Insurance is just a rip off these days.

12. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    Admiral are just the same , sometimes they add hundreds on the automated renewal letter . I check online and say I have a cheaper quote , they say who's that with and I end up saying its with you via an online quote .....pointless repetitive merry go round

13. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    This auto renewal thing ...

An online quote is often tied to paying online with a credit card, and that brings the auto renewal bugbear into the policy.

I renew online because buying online is usually cheaper, and use a credit card to pay (annual payment). But ... and here's the big but ... I use my wife's credit card, although the policy is in my name. The beauty of doing this is that the insurer can't auto renew without first getting my wifes verbal confirmation over the phone.

So every year the insurer has to phone me, and only after we've agreed a renewal price do I hand the phone to my wife. I have an auto alert two weeks before each insurance is due, which gives me time to get alternative quotes that I can use as bargaining chips.

Umble

C350Carl likes this.