Replacing Conductor Plate in 722.6 Autobox

foru2justnv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2003
Hi
Can u pm me your number and address pls.
Or send me a quote for doing a gearbox oil change on 211 2002 please. With without parts thanks.
Tiff

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ this aimed for Uncle Benz I guess? Maybe you could PM him?

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 kompresser convertable, 2001 Citroen c2 Audi A3, jaguar xj6 and big scanias !
Hi all haven’t been on the forum for a while, log on , into the tech section and click on drivetrain etc. It’s like the forum knows what I need !!!! Ml 350 53 plate, ets abs lights on !! Guess what I prob need to do soon !! Conductor plate ! Probably !!!
However !!!!!
I also have check engine illuminated, crank position sensor the suspect here, simple obd handheld used. My motor engineer tells me that the car, MIGHT, flag the ets light as an override to stop the cruise etc being used. Almost like it knows there is a problem and won’t allow the engine to create more problems. Now I am pretty old skool, electricity was meant to combat the smell of gas lights, that’s all, I am sceptical but is it possible? Car is due mot in couple of months, apart from no cruise available it runs fine , but lights do need dealt with . Budgeted for replacing sensor and plate anyway, might check out the £150 mb plate !!!! What kind of atf can I use, does it need to be Mercedes?
Cheers , scott

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
ABS lights are abound on here, and it’s usually sensors and reluctor rings Scott.
You need to get the car on a Star diagnostic to get anything really meaningful to get any work done otherwise it’s a lovely trial and error guessing game...

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 kompresser convertable, 2001 Citroen c2 Audi A3, jaguar xj6 and big scanias !
Yes I agree, like I said it was a simple one reader that I used, just of to do it again to get codes, so next question, anyone in central Scotland got a star machine that isn’t involved with Arnold Clark and his prices???
Thanks!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
After driving both a 211 with 722.6 and now the 212 with 722.9 Im on the fence, the 722.6 was silky smooth always in the right gear, the 722.9 is better on fuel, keeps me in the power band better but isn't nearly as smooth, also I can catch it out on gear changes but I use the paddles now so don't notice it do much

Oh the ‘joys’ of the 7 speed box, the reality I’m afraid is that having owned the 722.6 5spd box the 722.9 7spd box is no where near as refined, progress doesn’t always mean better unfortunately. I like the 212 package and the 350 coupled with the 5 speed g/b would have been sublime

I’m getting used to the Jekyll and Hyde character of the 7 spd box but every time I drive the 210 I’m reminded things could be better

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had it on obd reader, vehicle speed sensor A
Suspect plate ? Would a star machine give more exact result ?
Scott

foru2justnv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2003
Hi all haven’t been on the forum for a while, log on , into the tech section and click on drivetrain etc. It’s like the forum knows what I need !!!! Ml 350 53 plate, ets abs lights on !! Guess what I prob need to do soon !! Conductor plate ! Probably !!!
However !!!!!
I also have check engine illuminated, crank position sensor the suspect here, simple obd handheld used. My motor engineer tells me that the car, MIGHT, flag the ets light as an override to stop the cruise etc being used. Almost like it knows there is a problem and won’t allow the engine to create more problems. Now I am pretty old skool, electricity was meant to combat the smell of gas lights, that’s all, I am sceptical but is it possible? Car is due mot in couple of months, apart from no cruise available it runs fine , but lights do need dealt with . Budgeted for replacing sensor and plate anyway, might check out the £150 mb plate !!!! What kind of atf can I use, does it need to be Mercedes?
Cheers , scott

Atf just needs to be mb236.14 spec

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Shame i never saw the thread earlier as I was up in Scotland Tuesday till last night and had Star with me.
Speed sensor A is definitely conductor plate I'm afraid.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Atf just needs to be mb236.14 spec
As far as I know, the MB 236.14 spec ATF. is backwards compatible on the 722.6 trans, but only as a complete and full flush and change, and should not be mixed.

KeithJG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320CDI Sport Edition S203 2006 V6 7g
I do understand we are talking the 5 speed here.........but a lot of owners talk badly of the 7 speed?

My motor suddenly had the stuck in 2nd gear syndrome until i restarted and i just could not allow myself to drive a motor which could not give me reliability worrying if i would complete my journey or not.

The reason for my post is because i had the car put on STAR and it came up with a short in the conductor plate and although the speed sensors were faulty it was the short that made them go bad so just to replace a bad speed sensor is not the answer hence a proper STAR diagnosis.

Another reason owners may always knock this 7g box is because STAR also revealed that the fault first happened at 61000km and i was now on 162000km getting the repair done. I did not own the car when the fault first happened but it has been driven for just over 100,000km with faults in the box.

Having now completed 2yrs of running since having the complete electrohydraulic plate changed the box still performs superbly with smoothness and not jerkyness even when cold and mine is the older version !

So the reason for so many owners complaining about the 7g may be that they have been driving around for years with faults that they never know of.

Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image1.jpg

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shame i never saw the thread earlier as I was up in Scotland Tuesday till last night and had Star with me.
Speed sensor A is definitely conductor plate I'm afraid.
Am not too afraid, got a 4 post ramp and my friends independent garage to play with when required!! Lots you tube vids to be watched!!!
Scott

Omar Mahmood

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220
Hi, i have a Mercedes e220cdi w211 shape auto. I believe my conductor plate needs replacing and I have been quoted £400 for the whole job, is this a reasonable price?

Thanks

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
find out lots of interesting stuff on here.......

alf1956

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk270 cdi diesel
I realise that I am visiting a very old thread here but are there any sellers out there that do sell an original 722.6 conductor plate? I have seen quite a few made by companies such as Febi-Bilstein, FYI whom seem to be manufacturers of quality parts & I am wondering if any of those companies actually make them for Mercedes & brand them with the Merc logo?

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
Just to document my discomfort with the ubiquitously common "blame the conductor plate"

I have seen comments about the conductor rivets coming loose. The reality in my experience is that ATF creates an optical illusion - it's the ATF moving not the joint.

My view is that the conductor plate is a very well made reliable Mercedes part.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom