Replacing my wifes i10

ToonArmyMick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011/350CDI
Hi All,

My wife and I are in the process of replacing her 09 plate Hyundai i10, she's had it since brand new, full Hyundai service history and only 33k miles on it in nearly 8 years, it was bought as a second car which rarely gets used (as you can tell by the miles) and is still in outstanding condition.

So over the last couple of weekends we've been visiting different dealers looking at used cars in the 0-2.5 year old bracket, not with a specific car in mind, but just seeing what takes her fancy, her only requirement is something bigger (virtually every car out there lol) and something with a higher seating position (easier to get in/out as she has a dodgy back at times).

The cars weve looked at and test drove so far are;

* Mercedes B180 (too 'van' like apparently, lol)
* Ford Ecosport (felt cramped inside)
* Ford Kuga (too large)
* Vauxhall Mokka (didnt enjoy the test drive)
* Hyundai IX35 (too large)
* Nissan Juke (awful, just awful)
* Renault Captur (surprisingly nice to drive!)

So my wife has test drove all of the above over the last couple of weeks, and to both of our surprises the Renault Captur came out on top, so she's test drove a further two since and is intent on now getting one.

So, at a local dealer yesterday, we were ready to part ex. the i10 and go ahead and finance a 2016 Captur 1.5 Dci MediaNav (19k) until the salesman ruined it and lost out on his commission.

The car was advertised at £9,498. My wifes car was valued as a part ex. at just £600, I know the book value for 'average' is £1,400 and hers is above average, so that was annoyance #1 (at this point I knew I would'nt let my wife proceed unless there was some outstanding finance offer).

So we go into the showroom and crunch the numbers and all the sales patter started;

Cost of car £9,498 (-£600 trade in) = £8,898
24 month extended warranty for £30 a month (no thanks I'll buy my own)
£20 of fuel (no thanks, theres a fuel station next door to the dealership, i'll do it myself)
Breakdown cover £13 a month (no thanks, already covered)
Alloy wheel cover £12 a month (no thanks)
Scotch guard for the seats £8 a month (no thanks, the seat covers are removable and washable)
Tyre cover £11 a month (no thanks)

The salesman explained that we'd be one of the very few customers who opt to not take all of the above and tried to persuade us to take it (which I can understand, he's there to sell).

The quote for finance (without all of the add ons) was, drum roll....................

£232 a month! (over 5 years) total amount payable would have been £13,920 + The i10 trade in!

Needless to say we promptly left.

Dealer 2, about a mile down the road;

2015 (65 plate) Captur 1.5 Dci MediaNav (21k) for £9,088

We managed to get £1,500 for the i10 as a trade in, free 24 month warranty, no hard selling, no hassle, even managed to blag a set of mats and a full tank of diesel!

The quote for finance was;

£170 a month (over 4 years) total amount payable is £8,160 + The Hyundai trade in.

So my wife signed on the dotted line and collects the car this coming friday.

In a little over a mile we managed to save £5,760 and get £900 more for our trade in.

It just goes to show to shop around as theres still some really bad deals out there!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Nice. Good deal.

Brace yourself for a barrage of "French cars are crap" posts straight from the 1980s.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
As long as the boss is happy...
Good deal and good advice.

OP
ToonArmyMick

ToonArmyMick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011/350CDI
Nice. Good deal.

Brace yourself for a barrage of "French cars are crap" posts straight from the 1980s.

Haha, before driving the Renault, I probably would have been one of those people saying the same thing. But for what my wife uses her car for, (3 mile commute monday-friday, shopping at weekends) it's absolutely fine for.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
We had exactly the same scenario , absolutely no movement on price even after we had done test drive and were talking money , loads of expensive options we could have opted for but nothing else.

We walked away from the dealers with a bad taste as it was a chore dealing with the salesmen from start to finish, they called a day later to offer us a years free road tax - £20 off an £8.5k Focus Ecoboost - seriously.

We eventually opted for a Juke as the wife liked the quirkyness of it and it was her car after all , after the test drive and before doing the "financial dance" with the salesman i told him where i was regarding changeover price and that was it , he accepted after a chat with his boss and we got the car a day later.

Good choice with the Captur , we test drove one also but the numbers didnt stack up for us as they seem to be a good selling for Renault and they were a bit more than we were prepared to spend at the time.

Kenny

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I have be massively impressed by Renault in the five years we owned the Scenic and the three years the kids have had a Clio.

Uber reliable and cheap as chips to repair when anything has went wrong.

Kenny

OP
ToonArmyMick

ToonArmyMick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011/350CDI
I have be massively impressed by Renault in the five years we owned the Scenic and the three years the kids have had a Clio.

Uber reliable and cheap as chips to repair when anything has went wrong.

Kenny

I was massively impressed by the practicality of the Captur, its very well specced (sat nav, DAB, air con, parking sensors, privacy glass) i love that the seat covers simply zip off and are machine washable as undoubtedly the kids will spill allsorts lol. the boot floor is also reversable, (carpeted or wipe clean plastic, ideal for dogs or tip runs) the whole rear bench slides back/forward to adjust the boot size too! and the claimed economy of the 1.5 diesel unit is 75mpg, although that remains to be seen.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hopefully my son will have an apprenticeship within the month , this will involve a 70 mile daily commute (Glasgow - Stirling) and the `06 Clio he has at present will be getting replaced with another Clio (Mk 4 Dynamique) as for a small "trendy" well speced motor we cant see anything that fits the bill.

The next choice will be the 0.9 petrol with the claimed 65 mpg or the 1.5 diesel with 80+ claimed mpg.

Kenny

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Sounds like a good deal, pays to shop around!!!!

Isn't the Captur just a Juke with a different body on????

The Kajar is a Quashqai

OP
ToonArmyMick

ToonArmyMick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011/350CDI
Sounds like a good deal, pays to shop around!!!!

Isn't the Captur just a Juke with a different body on????

The Kajar is a Quashqai

I think its based on a clio, the engines are the same though nissan/renault. i may be wrong though. We tested a Juke aswell and the Captur beats it hands down.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It is indeed based on the Clio.
Unlike the Juke it has no 4WD option either.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not sure 4WD is needed to mount a kerb ;)

Don't say that! You'll remove the justification for all those school mums with their Range Rovers for dropping poor little Tarquin off at school!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Don't say that! You'll remove the justification for all those school mums with their Range Rovers for dropping poor little Tarquin off at school!
I thought Tarquin was educated at home to avoid him mixing with others ;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I thought Tarquin was educated at home to avoid him mixing with others ;)

Oh good grief no, one must be seen taking the apple of ones eye to the finest preparatory school available, it also gives one the opportunity to show of ones shiny new Range Rover to the other "mums what lunch"

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
"Mums what lunch"
Jeez, the command of English seems like a Eric and Ernie sketch, these days...
I despair ;):p:eek: !?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hi All,

My wife and I are in the process of replacing her 09 plate Hyundai i10, she's had it since brand new, full Hyundai service history and only 33k miles on it in nearly 8 years, it was bought as a second car which rarely gets used (as you can tell by the miles) and is still in outstanding condition.

So over the last couple of weekends we've been visiting different dealers looking at used cars in the 0-2.5 year old bracket, not with a specific car in mind, but just seeing what takes her fancy, her only requirement is something bigger (virtually every car out there lol) and something with a higher seating position (easier to get in/out as she has a dodgy back at times).

The cars weve looked at and test drove so far are;

* Mercedes B180 (too 'van' like apparently, lol)
* Ford Ecosport (felt cramped inside)
* Ford Kuga (too large)
* Vauxhall Mokka (didnt enjoy the test drive)
* Hyundai IX35 (too large)
* Nissan Juke (awful, just awful)
* Renault Captur (surprisingly nice to drive!)

So my wife has test drove all of the above over the last couple of weeks, and to both of our surprises the Renault Captur came out on top, so she's test drove a further two since and is intent on now getting one.

So, at a local dealer yesterday, we were ready to part ex. the i10 and go ahead and finance a 2016 Captur 1.5 Dci MediaNav (19k) until the salesman ruined it and lost out on his commission.

The car was advertised at £9,498. My wifes car was valued as a part ex. at just £600, I know the book value for 'average' is £1,400 and hers is above average, so that was annoyance #1 (at this point I knew I would'nt let my wife proceed unless there was some outstanding finance offer).

So we go into the showroom and crunch the numbers and all the sales patter started;

Cost of car £9,498 (-£600 trade in) = £8,898
24 month extended warranty for £30 a month (no thanks I'll buy my own)
£20 of fuel (no thanks, theres a fuel station next door to the dealership, i'll do it myself)
Breakdown cover £13 a month (no thanks, already covered)
Alloy wheel cover £12 a month (no thanks)
Scotch guard for the seats £8 a month (no thanks, the seat covers are removable and washable)
Tyre cover £11 a month (no thanks)

The salesman explained that we'd be one of the very few customers who opt to not take all of the above and tried to persuade us to take it (which I can understand, he's there to sell).

The quote for finance (without all of the add ons) was, drum roll....................

£232 a month! (over 5 years) total amount payable would have been £13,920 + The i10 trade in!

Needless to say we promptly left.

Dealer 2, about a mile down the road;

2015 (65 plate) Captur 1.5 Dci MediaNav (21k) for £9,088

We managed to get £1,500 for the i10 as a trade in, free 24 month warranty, no hard selling, no hassle, even managed to blag a set of mats and a full tank of diesel!

The quote for finance was;

£170 a month (over 4 years) total amount payable is £8,160 + The Hyundai trade in.

So my wife signed on the dotted line and collects the car this coming friday.

In a little over a mile we managed to save £5,760 and get £900 more for our trade in.

It just goes to show to shop around as theres still some really bad deals out there!

I'm so pleased to read your story (and pleased for you of course!). I just don't understand how some of these guys can be so b****y stupid and waste your time and theirs ... perhaps I do, they think they're God's gift to car sales - but unless you both play a very good game of poker he either ignored your reaction, or was so "thick" that he thought he's got away with it.

btw: The odd post about how you're getting on with Captur would be interesting - we have an '05 Grand Scenic Auto in the garage that SWMBO loves to bits. It's owes us nothing now and we could probably get £400 part-ex or £600 privately (if I could put up with the tyre kickers). But SWMBOs ever decreasing annual miileage leaves me with a quandry i.e': should we upgrade or just stick for another few years where the annual cost = Insurance + Road Tax + 1 x service and I guess 1/10th of a set of tyres.... On the other hand, my BIL endued up using my sister's small Toyota for all the local stuff because it gave 43-50 mpg and I wonder about doing the same in a new small car.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
French cars are crap, ............. Oh wait a minute, bugger, i drive a frech car now so maybe their not so bad these days.

Good outcome you had and good luck with the car,

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Who the hell buys tyre cover for 11quid a month? You would have to have a puncture every 4 months to get your money back. I think I've had 4 punctures in the last 12 years/200k miles of motoring, and one of those was repairable and another on a tyre that was almost warn out anyway...

OP
ToonArmyMick

ToonArmyMick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2011/350CDI
Who the hell buys tyre cover for 11quid a month? You would have to have a puncture every 4 months to get your money back. I think I've had 4 punctures in the last 12 years/200k miles of motoring, and one of those was repairable and another on a tyre that was almost warn out anyway...

Exactly, and this was from a large well known franchised dealer too, not some back street Arthur Daley!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom