Restoring an old 180db Mercedes Benz (Ponton) from 1960. A barn find ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
yeah mines a diesel but i'm pretty sure the tank wasn't full for all those years meaning the top part of the tank would suffer from corrosion surely ?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
The 30L of old diesel removed looks very clean. Any water dropped out?
If not, I'd reckon that the inside of the tank will be just fine.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i didn't notice any water, but surely the top of the tank will be rusty, i'd estimate that that 30 liters just filled half of the tank, not sure what the capacity was of those tanks... anyhow the tank is out now and i have to clean it up inside and out before refitting...

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
When the sender's out, you should be able to see inside by some means (dental type mirror or cheap USB endoscope).
If hard to see inside, wipe a finger round. Any rusting will be easy to feel.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
thanks for all the replies, i guess i'll have to get one of those usb cameras then to check out the inside of the tank, i'm definitely interested in seeing how it is in there, maybe i didn't need to take it out at all, but still, the job is done now, all I have to do is continue with it

as regards the diesel, do you think i can re-use it or just chuck it, for example, could i use it in my daily driver or is that risky...

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
thanks for all the replies, i guess i'll have to get one of those usb cameras then to check out the inside of the tank, i'm definitely interested in seeing how it is in there, maybe i didn't need to take it out at all, but still, the job is done now, all I have to do is continue with it

as regards the diesel, do you think i can re-use it or just chuck it, for example, could i use it in my daily driver or is that risky...

Your 212's got a DPF which might not like old higher sulphur content diesel?
If the daily was an older one and the fuel looks clean I'd just put 5 or 10L litres in each full tank.

If there's a any bio-fuels folk nearby give it to them to blend with.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so today I set about removing the fuel sender so that I could clean out the inside of the tank before treating it with muriatic acid.
Once the fuel sender was out, I cleaned it, this has left me with two problems and if someone knows the answers to fix them then please let me know, basically the cork seal that seals the fuel sender is now kaput, and needs to be replaced, any idea where to get the replacement ?

secondly, the thin metal cover that covers the fuel sender innards, is perforated (it's very thin and it has rusted through)

where can I get a replacement for that ? or can I manufacture one ? or repair it ?

i've documented todays job here if any one is interested (with more photos of the fuel sender)

IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2522.JPG

Last edited:
OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)

Attachments

• IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    604.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    855.7 KB · Views: 9

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
not sure what micuric acid is and google seems none the wiser but acid etching steel makes it very vulnerable to rust formation so Id be tempted to always keep the tank as full as possible to stop the inevitable condensation taking its toll

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
For the sender cover, I'd just make one - but that's me!:cool:

Are you going to have the tank pressure tested in a water bath? One of the Wheeler Dealer :rolleyes: episodes featured, I think, a Triumph Stag which was found to have a hole in the fuel tank and was repaired.

With all the trouble you have gone to, I'd also be inclined to get some paint in there. Throw the paint in, seal the opening, and then turn each way and which until every surface is coated, and then drain out the excess.

Can't remember the full name of the stuff we use, but something like Fabrication paint.:geek:

SANY0029.JPG

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
For the sender cover, I'd just make one - but that's me!:cool:

Are you going to have the tank pressure tested in a water bath? One of the Wheeler Dealer :rolleyes: episodes featured, I think, a Triumph Stag which was found to have a hole in the fuel tank and was repaired.

With all the trouble you have gone to, I'd also be inclined to get some paint in there. Throw the paint in, seal the opening, and then turn each way and which until every surface is coated, and then drain out the excess.

Can't remember the full name of the stuff we use, but something like Fabrication paint.:geek:

SANY0029.JPG

how would you make one ? i'm curious (hints appreciated)

i know there's something called Por15 tank sealant but i dont think i can buy it here in Sweden, so i'm looking at my options for sealing the tank...

as regards testing the tank i've no idea where I could get that done here in Sweden, does anyone know ?

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I wouldn't put any kind of paint inside it.
When you start using the car, use biodiesel and fit an extra in-line filter before the main fuel filter. A few tanks of bio, aka B100, will clean out any remaining stuff very well.

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
I wouldn't put any kind of paint inside it.
When you start using the car, use biodiesel and fit an extra in-line filter before the main fuel filter. A few tanks of bio, aka B100, will clean out any remaining stuff very well.

here in sweden there's normally diesel, petrol (95) and enhanced petrol (something else) and occaisonally some ethanol...

so what would biodiesel be exactly ? and do you have any link that i can read about the extra in-line filter ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom