Retrofitting AMG Xenons to standard W202

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
i would imagine this is possible. what do you need apart from the lights? is there a control unit at all?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
To fit OEM Xenons, you require the headlights them selves complete with control units, to fit they are just plug and play, though you will have to mount the control units which are fitted in the front of the wheel arches, behind the bumper. (I can supply pics of the OEM position of these control units if required).
The car will also require the auto levelling system to be fitted, which involves fitting of a wiring loom a front and rear suspension atitude sensor, and ECU, easier than it sounds, honest.
Xenons also require headlamp wash/wipe, this is also IMO very easy to fit.
Though some parts of this MOD are expensive, it would be easier to source the parts from a breaker and would be better if you removed them from the doner car, especially the levelling loom, though you will have to buy a new headlamp wash/wipe loom as this loom will be intergrated into the doner cars wiring and you will need to by the accessory loom for this.
My advise would be to start by fitting the wash/wipe first, whilst looking for the other parts.
I have done this and I believe I,m the only one (on the forums anyway) to have done the whole thing 100% OEM though some people have just done the headlights.
I have got all the info you would likely need and will talk you through it and give you all assistance I can.
I paid £400 for everthing from a scrap C43, though I did have to by a few small items eg, brackets for the sensors, bolts for the control packs etc.
I do have a Bosch Pt. No. which is for the headlights which I believe is a kit consisting of the 2 headlights them selves, and the control packs and retails at £500ish, to put this in perspective, from MB it would be approx, £2000. The pt. no. is still valid, though please ensure the exact contents of the kit, they should be able to show you a picture of what is in the kit, as the Bosch description says it a Hid bulb kit and bears no resembelance of what is actually in it.
Xenons were not just fitted to the C43 AMG, but were available as an option on all models I believe.

Last edited:
OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
ah right.

bit much for my daily driver at the moment as i cant afford it to be out of action for more than a weekend.

does this "auto levelling system" replace the wheel adjustment i have one mine? i take it its integrated into the light units

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
You could get hold of some aftermarket HID's. Same effect if not better.you can get a good set for around £200ish

Clive

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
nah, not into aftermarket stuff. if i did it it would have to be OEM all the way.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could get hold of some aftermarket HID's. Same effect if not better.you can get a good set for around £200ish

Clive

These kits are not type approved for the road, and there have been rumours that the MOT rules will be tightened up to include this, though I fail to see that they can fail them as there are thousands of cars passing the MOT with these fitted.
dbanberry
Yes it replaces the existing Pneumatic levelling system (the dial to the left of your light switch), it is then controlled by two levelling motors, one in each headlight.
You could do the fit in stages as that is what I did as I did,nt want the AMG of the road for any amount of time.

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
hmm.

i can pop in to a merc breakers at the weekend, and i'll get a price on all the bits to do the wash wipe system.

how much is the accessory loom from MB

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
The loom was £20-£25 for my C43, IIRC.
If you require any assistance regarding this post back or PM me.

OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
the chances are i wont be getting lucky enough to pillage a car for the bits, so for the Headlamp wash wipes i could do with a few details, namely the parts needed and the numbers if possible.

also, does it make a difference if its pre facelift or not? i know there were a lot of electrical changes on the facelift models as i found out when i bought a bootlid and hooked up the central locking module [every time the car unlocked it popped the boot up due to the boot "auto pop" mechanism on the later ones] pure comedy but annoying.

so i would need the different washer bottle, the wash wipe pump/motors/spray unit, associated brackets and cables, control unit, extra MB accessory loom/harness/ under headlamp panel..

are the stalks different? or is it the same from the other side of the loom?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
You will need the 2 headlamp wiper motors complete with wiper arms and blades, and the trim beneath each of the headlights.
I previously said to get the complete washer bottle, but you can get away with modding yours and just get a washer pump and an open grommet and this can be fitted to your bottle quite easily (see link below). The washer hose you can get from MB cheap enough but if you manage to get it from scrapyard it will be the right length already, you will also need the non-return valve, and the washer/wiper relay, the headlamp wash/wipe on my AMG works when you wash the windscreen with the headlights on, it squirts the washers and wipes the headlights 3 times, take a look at the links below,
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...242F441456&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=82&SGR=150&SGN=05
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.460&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=86&SGR=030&SGN=01
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.460&CT=F&cat=44V&SID=99&SGR=675&SGN=16

But do bear in mind these links were gained by using my C230K chassis number but "should" be the same.
It maybe worth talking to MB first to ensure the correct loom is still available, though I got the one for my C43 ok, yours is slightly older and may not be available (hope not as i,ll need one for my 230 when i decide to do it). The loom is shown in on of the links and the correct one of the two needs to be selected according to your specific chassis number, though MB will do this for you.
The loom basically has to run around the engine bay it has 2 earth connectors one on each side, a connector to each wiper motor, 1 to the washer pump, and there is a plug that just plugs into the fuse box, a small bit of disassembly is required to plug this in, after that all thats left is to fit the relay and the fuse in the same fuse box fuse.
If when you have the bits PM me and I can supply you with the WIS worksheets to cover the entire fit.
Pre facelift and face lift, if any differences it will only be the loom as far as i,m aware, and that I believe is only the fuse box plug.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
dbanbery

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
excellent, i'll let you know how i get on.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Sounds expensive !
Might be cheaper to trade up the car for one that has it.
Be nice to know how much that all comes to.

But I can understand anyone wanting to improve mercedes std. lighting.

Its so bad I would even slap on those Hella Rally Spots if they were still available LOL!
When I was a kid, I put 4 on a TR6 ... looked Sh@t , but it sure transformed the visibility.

God help, the oncoming! :( :(
But in those days it was totally unregulated, no nanny state crap.
And at 17 ....... say no more

Last edited:

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
03' BMW 325Ci
Sounds expensive !
Might be cheaper to trade up the car for one that has it.
Be nice to know how much that all comes to.

But I can understand anyone wanting to improve mercedes std. lighting.

Its so bad I would even slap on those Hella Rally Spots if they were still available LOL!
When I was a kid, I put 4 on a TR6 ... looked Sh@t , but it sure transformed the visibility.

God help, the oncoming! :( :(
But in those days it was totally unregulated, no nanny state crap.
And at 17 ....... say no more

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/i...50td-to-me-owner.123879/page-10#post-16087760

;)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom