Rev counter, speedo and fuel gauge not working

ajkajkajk

Reaction score
Hi - I recently had to jump start my C250TD (s202) and since then I have had an intermittent problem with the rev counter, speedo and fuel gauge not working.
When the problem occurs the rev counter flickers a little bit and the needle lifts up off the zero mark fractionally.

Sometimes (not every time) stopping the car and restarting resolves the problem. Most of the time though there seems to be no rhyme or reason why this happens.

Any thoughts on what is wrong and more importantly how to fix it.

Thanks

Al

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be the OVP relay if the car has one and a badly soldered joint

OP
A

ajkajkajk

Reaction score
I couldn't find the OVP relay. (1997 C250TD RHD).

I read on another thread that the ABS light would be on if there was an issue with the OVP (posted by Television). My ABS light is off.

My problem is still occurring. When the engine is stone cold after sitting all night, the speedo, rev counter, fuel and temp gauges work when the car is started. When the engine is warm and I stop the engine then they all stop working.
The rev counter dial needle flickers ever so slightly though.

I have checked all the fuses.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is a rotten fault and a very hard question, to start with I would get some non drying switch cleaner and clean all the fuses and holders.

As the car is OK when cold it is doubtful that a component has failed, lets hope it is a connection problem

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom