Rim Metal - some basic info needed!

Raja Taimoor

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have two sets for my W140 S500 1996 - one original MB 16" and the other 18". Just don't know which metal and quoting and finish etc etc these have.

The wheel cleaning/polishing products and literature keep mentioning descriptions like Mag, Aluminum, anodized, clear quoted, lacquered, painted, etc. etc. about simple plain disks we call as 'alloy rims'.

I would appreciate guidance on:-

a) how to know which ones are which so as to be able to maintain them accordingly with the right products.

b) what specifications (e.g. offset, size) to match if I planned to replace the originals.

Regards

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Alloy wheels are the everyday wheels you see in place of steel wheels. Magnesium alloy wheels are lighter than alloys and more expensive.

The finishes, anodized, clear quoted, lacquered, painted are just personal choice.

OP
R

Raja Taimoor

Reaction score
Thanks Helen!

But how do I know which ones do I have on my car and which finish do they have so as not to harm them by using the products not meant for them.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Post some pics of the wheels.. failing that go along to a shop that sells alloys and they will fill you in on the different finishes..

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I see they do not offer chrome wheels due to warranty issues in the UK...Our old friends at MB would have no such qualms...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cannot recall any wheels that are anodized., this is a process of being dipped in acid where it hardens the outer skin

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
I cannot recall any wheels that are anodized., this is a process of being dipped in acid where it hardens the outer skin

I am not aware that M-B/AMG supply anodised wheels, but there are plenty available from the aftermarket trade. Coloured wheels are often anodised as it's easy to add the dye during the anodising process. An anodised surface is extremely hard, and depending on the quality of the base metal of the wheel, can offer good corrosion resistance. It's thin though (typically only a few microns) and quite brittle.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We will have to have a get together and we can all do our wheels all pink, or some other colour

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom