Roof not working

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Went out in car last night after ten mins a yellow warning light came on,the roof on my sl will not open or close,haven't had it open for couple months never had prob with it before,warning light on all the time now, any ideas ,thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Starting with the basics how’s the aux battery ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like a limit or latching switch has failed. A STAR session should tell which.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Sounds like a limit or latching switch has failed. A STAR session should tell which.
Yep will get it on star when I can it flickered for few seconds then stoped on now,like I said haven't opened roof for few weeks,is it a good idea open,close it now and again or makes no diff

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i recommend one regularly exercise all the functions on the SL that one can . which i now do every two weeks. frankly if ,not,i would be frightened to operate any switch that was not absolutely necessary .these are a lovely car ,but an electronic/ electrical nightmare . as above .use star, and if keeping the SL get yr own and learn how to use it . or be prepared for large bills..also consumer battery on a ctek a good idea.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
i recommend one regularly exercise all the functions on the SL that one can . which i now do every two weeks. frankly if ,not,i would be frightened to operate any switch that was not absolutely necessary .these are a lovely car ,but an electronic/ electrical nightmare . as above .use star, and if keeping the SL get yr own and learn how to use it . or be prepared for large bills..also consumer battery on a ctek a good idea.
To be honest not had that much go wrong in 3 years I've had the car

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
Ok so I been out in car tonight and yellow light still on but I notice it's not the roof symbol it's the same one as the roll bar button one but again I never use the roll bar ,also pressed rear window heater button this only stops on for 5 seconds then goes off ,have checked all orther buttons ,switchs and all seem working fine

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can you manually raise and lower the roll over bar using the switch? If not does anything like a pump run then stop?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
does the boot soft close work when you close the boot ? is the car in regular use? ie consumer battery in boot in good condition. anyway a star test is not a bad idea . there may be a good number of historical faults if its not been done for a while, many likely due to consumer battery low voltage . print fault list to file so you have a complete record, then clear them ,see what wont clear, or what comes back after a few min. go from there if problem still exists.

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
does the boot soft close work when you close the boot ? is the car in regular use? ie consumer battery in boot in good condition. anyway a star test is not a bad idea . there may be a good number of historical faults if its not been done for a while, many likely due to consumer battery low voltage . print fault list to file so you have a complete record, then clear them ,see what wont clear, or what comes back after a few min. go from there if problem still exists.
Yes mate soft boot close works ,will put battery on charge see what happens ,if it is this will the light go out or does it need star to reset

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes mate soft boot close works ,will put battery on charge see what happens ,if it is this will the light go out or does it need star to reset
If its just the battery low voltage it will be fine, just needs star or icarsoft to clear the historical codes.
Thought you said the battery was fine though?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

you might get lucky, but if not get it on star. if last done some time ago,there are likely a number of faults unrelated to yr present issue.once noted and cleared you will likely see whats going on . as LK you might have a stuck micro sensor/switch , i just had similar for d/s rear side window , no issue with it for 2 yr ,now window does not close the last few mm. ALWAYS something. good luck

OP
P

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
If its just the battery low voltage it will be fine, just needs star or icarsoft to clear the historical codes.
hi john ,thought battery was fine but have looked on here and peps say it needs to be around 13.5 mine is at 10 ,so to low is this correct

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom