Rotating tyres ML 270

maldon

Reaction score
The outer edge of both front tyres is a little worn - 2-3mm before the wear 'indicators'. The centre and inner edge of the tyres look fine.

Rear tyres are as far as I am aware, same age as the front - they have uniform wear across the whole tyre / no excessive wear to the outer edges.

Is this normal wear and should I consider swapping the rear/front tyres and thebn eventually replacing the whole set?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yes I would rotate.
My 'E' wears the rears evenly and fronts on the outer edge very similar to yours. I never used to rotate but find I can get a few more miles out of them by doing so.

Sprint'n'Go

Reaction score
I rotate the tyres on my van religiously and measure/monitor the wear levels to make sure a set of four get changed in one go. As I get 55-60K from a set this means a swap around approx every 15k or 4-5 months.

In your case I would also consider having the front(worn) tyres flipped on their rims so the worn edge is moved to the inner edge although putting them on the back will slow down or undo the uneven wear. Try running them a little harder (but within the reccomended pressure range) so the tyres will tend to run on the less worn central band and take the weight off the tired tyre edges(no pun intended). If your tyres are only lasting 10-15k I would question the cost effectiveness of spending perhaps £10 per tyre flipping and balancing them when they only have another 2-3k in them anyway.

Remember to check your tyre pressures regularly and dont be afraid to experiment to get even wear across the whole tread (a bit more pressure if the edges are wearing faster/a bit less if the centre area is wearing quicker).

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Cheers lads.

Come to think of it, the fronts do look a little bit on the soft side....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom