• I read some of it

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Only when all else fails

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The 230 manual is unreadable, it was translated from the German by a machine and makes no sense. It is impossible to find anything. It is 2 inches thick, but manages not to contain any useful information.

The comand manual is even worse. I am the third owner, and clearly none of the previous owners had read them either, they are pristine and smell like new.
I didn't find it that bad?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The 215 manual and its COMAND 2.5 manual (which is half as thick again as the car manual) are both straightforward and in clear english.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
I have done aircraft maintenance since joining the RAF at 17.
You'll never remember much from a manual but knowing how to use said manual and where to look in it is priceless.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Reading the manual and understanding it are entirely different things. I have learned and understood far more from intensively reading this forum and the many links offered here.

I have no expertise in car maintenance but have a reasonable grasp of the functions of the aparatus and avidly absorb the detailed explanations as they arise in the case studies. I have loved driving for the 45 yrs since I passed my test and yet have only learned how to clean my car from reading here. I admit that many of my cars have been washed with one bucket and a sponge!

I have no intention of doing my own maintenance. I'm quite careful about who works on my car, I certainly wouldn't trust someone who knows as little as I do! Nonetheless it's helpful to know what to watch for, the symptoms of difficulty and the likely cause. Also the tips about the likely cost of replacement or repair.

I bought my car because I liked the shape and the balletic roof. I probably paid over the odds for it, but I love it every day of the six best weather months and pine for it in the six months it's tucked away in the garage. I often re-read sections of the manual in the winter time to remind myself of it's pleasures.

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
I'm sure I have said this before but I read the manual long before I got my 230. While looking for the right vehicle, I downloaded the manual so that I had a better understanding of what I was looking for. There are still functions that are not documented in the manual (The hold function being a good example) but thankfully this site is here to enlighten us.

JT1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 E220D SE (W213)
I would but the car's only on a 4 year deal :)

I did try it for the self parking thing - gave that a quick go and bottled out pretty sharpish, won't be trying that again, it's just not right.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom