Run flat tyres: daft question

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
Thank you so much for the detailed info of what to look out for. I'm thinking of removing the engine cover and sticking it in the garage anyway just so I can keep an eye out for Black Death and the like.

I've tried to move the wiring for my parrot kit this afternoon and in doing so I've managed to stop the display screen on top of the dash working so I'll open it up again when time allows.

Edit: forgot to add mine is the elegance spec and the soft ride is just what my back needed after the coupe I had before with sports suspension.

Last edited:
OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Avantgarde , leather on my E320cdi . Yep it's not really a DIY job , but it could be done if you shell out for one of the vertical fluid pump thingys , but by the time you have bourght that you may as well pay an Indy the £200 .
There is no service schedule for diff oil replacement , but that is a cheap and relatively easy DIY job , I think I've done both my cars diffs twice now (but I've got issues :D )
Keep on eye on the orange turbo inlet seal for drips on the om642 . If you search "salmon tin" on this forum , you will see some pics of a thing I made to stop drips/let you know when the seal drips.
The om642 really likes clean air filters as well , which is an easy enough job when you combine it with the turbo inlet seal change .

Hi Wighty,

I've been reading up on the salmon tin catch fix you've made and I like it. How does it stay in situ? Does the profile of the tin mean it slides/locates into position and sit snug or do you fix it in some way?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi Wighty,

I've been reading up on the salmon tin catch fix you've made and I like it. How does it stay in situ? Does the profile of the tin mean it slides/locates into position and sit snug or do you fix it in some way?
It just slides in at a slight angle and then wiggles back to sit against the turbo . It pretty much stays where you leave it . It's main purpose (in my opinion ) is to indicate that the seal is needing to be changed . I probably check it every few weeks , or after any trip of a few hundred miles .
I normally have a spare orange turbo seal and the smaller one next to it ready to go if they need changing . As a minimum I plan to change the seals every 2 years when I do the air filters .
The tin thingy was pretty easy to make using a dremmel tool with a small cutting disc .

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Awesome work. I'll give my car a check over the weekend and report back. Would you consider making one up for cash as I don't have a Dremel and I don't think I'd get one as I could see myself losing a fingertip using it.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Awesome work. I'll give my car a check over the weekend and report back. Would you consider making one up for cash as I don't have a Dremel and I don't think I'd get one as I could see myself losing a fingertip using it.
I'm sure a could cobble one together for the postage (and a tin of Morrisons salmon ) obviously I will eat the contents as payment :D . I'm away for a week and then I'm on it .

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
I'm sure a could cobble one together for the postage (and a tin of Morrisons salmon ) obviously I will eat the contents as payment :D . I'm away for a week and then I'm on it .
I suspected, from earlier posts today, you were a fish fetishist, now I’m sure:rolleyes::D

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Brilliant, sounds great. Obviously I'll cover all costs and make a donation to a charity of your choice too :)

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Been out and had a good look at the car earlier and there's a fair bit of oil markings/residue from the orange turbo inlet seal on the surrounding areas so it looks like it's failing.

Thanks for the heads up to check it: I'll get onto MB for a replacement seal and plan to clean the area up.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom