Running out of fuel

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Having over 12 litres of engine capacity on the drive split across 3 cars you aren't alone John!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If I add them all up it's 15.3 litres and not a diesel in sight....

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
to block the pick up pipe would take a HUGE amount of crud to block it.

Going back decades, a mate and I were working on a Vauxhall. Can't remember the model but it was one of the gas-gussling varieties. The 'customer' was complaining that it was 'cutting-out' under severe acceleration. We disconnected the fuel line from the carb and, not even using an air line, with the fuel cap removed, used a foot pump to force back pressure into the tank.

That cured the immediate problem. As to whether the 'customer' then had the tank removed and cleaned, is unknown.

In more recent years, working, we had a 'hand me down' as a Traffic Car. From memory, it was a Rover SD1. Drive that 'hard' and it suffered fuel starvation. Embarrassing with blue lights when you had to pull into the side of the road to await the fuel system to recover. It went into our 'Garage' numerous times but always came out the same. The expression, "You offer peanuts! You attract Monkeys" comes to mind.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Going back decades, a mate and I were working on a Vauxhall. Can't remember the model but it was one of the gas-gussling varieties. The 'customer' was complaining that it was 'cutting-out' under severe acceleration. We disconnected the fuel line from the carb and, not even using an air line, with the fuel cap removed, used a foot pump to force back pressure into the tank.

That cured the immediate problem. As to whether the 'customer' then had the tank removed and cleaned, is unknown.

In more recent years, working, we had a 'hand me down' as a Traffic Car. From memory, it was a Rover SD1. Drive that 'hard' and it suffered fuel starvation. Embarrassing with blue lights when you had to pull into the side of the road to await the fuel system to recover. It went into our 'Garage' numerous times but always came out the same. The expression, "You offer peanuts! You attract Monkeys" comes to mind.

fair point, but again, these are going back quite a long time (SD1 has been out of production for 30+ years now) and fuel has got cleaner and better stored since then. plus the design of the tank strainer on the end of the pick up pipe has changed too, further reducing the changes of a pick up blocking (not impossible, but reduced)

barose

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2011 Obsidian Black, CLS350 2013 Silver
I had a very bad situation occur yesterday. My 4 year old CLS 350 died on a fast moving dual carriagway. No logical reason of course, with a quarter tank of fuel. The AA moved us to a safer place but pretty much left us. I had managed to flatten the battery trying to restart. When I figured the symptoms pointed to fuel I walked to a fuel station and bought a can and a gallon of diesel. Alas couldn't turn over the car, battery flat.
After £140 recovery fee and happy to be home I recharged the battery over night. Car started and ran a dream next day. So heres my question how come I was out of fuel with 15 litres still in the tank? Only managed to get in 60 litres in an 80 litre tank plus the 5 litres from the can.
Any suggestions?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
You may have a faulty Crank sensor. The engine cuts out or fails to start when its hot and will restart when cooled down.
A test on Star should pinpoint the exact problem.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
does the CLS have a saddle tank? I'm wondering if the same issue that can affect the 203 is affecting the OPs car

br0ke

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270, 2008 Vito Sport X
I generally fill up the CLK when the light comes on, but one night I knew I was marginal and then got delayed in work by 3 hours so all service stations closed (Derry - Belfast with no facilities, not like the rest of the Uk) so drove like a granny down the motorway. I had 5 miles range left with 20 to go. The count down was excruciating. About 4am I had to make a decision - go for home or come off the motorway and hope the station was open.
I figured if the car stopped I would be better off on the streets and could get a taxi. The last 2 miles were showing zero miles.
I pulled into the garage and put 67 litres into a 65 litre tank. Anyway the car always starts first button, but on this occasion it took 3 attempts.
I wouldn't reccommend it, but it confirmed to me that both the MPG and range are slightly optomistic.

barose

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 2011 Obsidian Black, CLS350 2013 Silver
I have a superb 2013 CLS350 Shooting Brake, 50k miles FMB history. I was driving on a dual carriageway and the engine started hunting for fuel, then stopped, and refused to restart. Under normal circumstances I would have figured it was my fault, fair enough. However the fuel gauge said almost a quarter tank and the computer said 100 miles. The AA got me home after a fashion but that was another story for another time.
Once home and the battery recharged and a gallon of diesel added it started and ran perfectly. Total fuel added from incident about 65/66 litres to full.
Having puzzled for some time, the only explanation I can figure, which I really would like some opinions on, is that though the spec says it has an enlarged tank (80 litres) and the car is set up for an enlarged tank. the car has in fact got the standard tank of 66 litres.
Is this at all possible?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
As has already been said, why let the tank get so low! Even on a motorway it's surely sensible to add 5 litres (another 90 pence more than standard filling stations) rather than run out? :rolleyes::eek:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
As has already been said, why let the tank get so low! Even on a motorway it's surely sensible to add 5 litres (another 90 pence more than standard filling stations) rather than run out? :rolleyes::eek:

The gauge said the tank was still almost 1/4 full ..... that's not low in my book. :geek:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Maybe the voltage stabiser is faulty for a gauge to be reading high when in actual fact there is less fuel in the tank? Been there when my 124 ran out of fuel with the gauge ready 1/4 full :D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom