s class advice

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
A8 Funny you should say that, Extractor: I had a test drive of the A8, and found that it handled very nicely (can I say better than the S class on this forum ?).
But the interior wasn't up to the mercedes.

But it is tempting . . .

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
In my experience all modern Merc diesels are noisier, rougher and offer worse mpg than the engines they replace. And the new gearboxes are just shockingly bad. Not good enough in 30k of E Class but distinctly unfunny on an 80k S. If the BE gearbox is on the 500 then I'd avoid that too.

The fact is that when it comes to drivetrains BMW are cleaner, faster and quieter.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
A8 Funny you should say that, Extractor: I had a test drive of the A8, and found that it handled very nicely (can I say better than the S class on this forum ?).
But the interior wasn't up to the Mercedes.

But it is tempting . . .

A8 is a nice car, but internal noise levels are higher than both the E and the S Class MBs, as evidenced if you try to hold a conversation between front and rear seat occupants at cruising speed.

Now, they don't tell you that in the advertising literature!

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Well now, I didn't know that Mercedes were such lousy cars :D

Maybe a Peugeot, then. Or a Fiat :eek:

Or is it just that Mercedes send all the cars made on a Friday afternoon to UK ?

Let's just hope I get a Tuesday morning job.

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Well now, I didn't know that Mercedes were such lousy cars :D

Maybe a Peugeot, then. Or a Fiat :eek:

Or is it just that Mercedes send all the cars made on a Friday afternoon to UK ?

Let's just hope I get a Tuesday morning job.

Be interested to hear how it goes.

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Will do ;)

Thanks to everyone for opinions. To sum up, the S class is not the dream machine, but it's still quite a nice car :D

newman2000000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 240
Mercedes S class Cl 320 430 500 600 W220 and W125 Models
£85 United Kingdom,

It should fit on any mercedes CL500,CL600,CL55 W215 and S320, S430,S500,S55,S600 w220 from 1999-2003 .It may fit on the later models as well but please check before you buy. ( No AIRBAG included )

The part No: A 220 460 0403 8J09
Colour: Leder /Stone

I bought it for my car but i sold it before i received the steering wheel by post.

Did anyone order a steering wheel?

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Will do ;)

Thanks to everyone for opinions. To sum up, the S class is not the dream machine, but it's still quite a nice car :D

Yes, very good in some areas. Just doesn't live up to expectation as a whole.

gilbert121262

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s350cdiL w221
Best car I have have in 31 years of motoring, end of story!!!!

gilbert121262

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s350cdiL w221
What did you buy in the end, best car in the world or 2nd best!!!

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Have just sent back the (signed) order for the S350. The nice young lady at Mercedes talked me into it ;)

Now just have to wait 3 months . . . 90 days . . . 2160 hours . . . .

GordonR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Cdi 2003/Oct
Hi, I have just picked up an absolute mint, fully loaded early W221 (sub 18K Miles) S350 at £23K (New £79K) - Absolutely love it. After always buying new have decided this route to soften such big depreciation a no brainer to keep this say 3 years and lose a relatively small amount whilst enjoying absolute luxury. Add on a private plate and it could pass as a 2009!

Good luck

BIGCJL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 CDI
Hi, I have just picked up an absolute mint, fully loaded early W221 (sub 18K Miles) S350 at £23K (New £79K) - Absolutely love it. After always buying new have decided this route to soften such big depreciation a no brainer to keep this say 3 years and lose a relatively small amount whilst enjoying absolute luxury. Add on a private plate and it could pass as a 2009!

Good luck

Thats the way to go. I would never buy new, just on principal. Lets assume (in your case) the original owner traded, and got say £22K for it (if the dealer sold it for £23K you can guarantee he paid less), that means the original owner lost £57K............:shock:

Fair enough, money is all relative, £57K to you and me might be a lot, whereas if the previous owner was called Sir Paul McCartney, perhaps he has a bit more "expendable" cash, but never the less, losing close on £60K is just massive. That's why I'd never buy new.

Of course, unless 6 little No's come up on Sat night..........................:rolleyes:

OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
6-year bump !

Just coming up to the car's sixth birthday, so - a little update.

Everything went off fine (the ferry didn't sink) and we managed to get back home (in France) with no problems.

Went to see the tax-man and paid the VAT :( (which seemed to surprise him) and the registration was simple.

The car: lovely ! :)

Harman Kardon - great.

Problems since new:
Engine light at 2 years old, three days before end of guarantee (car bought in UK, but if it's specced for France then you get a French guarantee - 2 years). Turned out to be the NOx sensor, which MB changed.
At 5 years old Distronic packs up. Turns out to be a front speed sensor. MB changed both FOC.

Opinion: a very nice car :) and a great place to be, whether you're cruising through the night or stuck in a traffic jam, it's very pleasant place to be in ;) .
Down-side: it's a lot of car to wash ! And, being black, it's got to be washed quite often . . .

Did I do the right thing ? . . . YES ! but I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have gone for a petrol with a little more oomph. But then I probably wouldn't have a licence now :D

Last edited:
OP
tode

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
Am just waiting for the pound to drop a bit more . . . ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom