S203 Android head unit upgrade

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I finally got around to fitting an Android unit to replace the aging COMAND 2.0.
I fitted an Erisin ES7863GB which is a current Android v8.0 unit with Octacore processor (PX5), 4Gb RAM and 32Gb rom.
I was very straight forward to fit using the supplied cables and so far everything appears to be working great and the unit is very snappy.
Sound quality is very good using the DAB+ function.

45503614972_23e6cd17c1_c.jpg

45503615312_489bcc433d_c.jpg

30613791667_429dd8768e_c.jpg

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That looks like it's always been there - great job! :)

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Looks decent. Do you have a link to this unit? Thinking of getting one myself. I have the same console on W203 so it's now easier to imagine what it would look like thanks to your pics :)

OP
AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Looks decent. Do you have a link to this unit? Thinking of getting one myself. I have the same console on W203 so it's now easier to imagine what it would look like thanks to your pics :)

I ordered it from the UK Erisin store on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-SatN...203-W209-DAB-GPS-DVD-BT-7-7863GB/132687782369

I also took the DAB+ unit and reversing cam. Using a 10% discount code which come up quite often it came in under £300 delivered.

Pros so far:
  • Looks OEM
  • Instant on
  • Fast
  • Good functionality
  • Decent sound quality
  • Easy to install e.g plug and play with no cable splices etc
  • Access to Google play store for better apps
Cons - Although I think most can be resolved
  • Supplied apps not the best so replace with better from the store
  • Haven't found a way to dim the buttons although colour has been set to a close match
  • Screen is bright even when dimmed to max. at night
  • Button tones are loud even when set to low so turned off
  • Care needed when removing uSD cards - Have lost one already somewhere in the car.
  • Slight interference when silent but inaudible when playing from any source.
  • No station display on instrument panel
  • Steering controls not consistent across all sources but do generally work including phone

I'm thinking I might switch to the Malysk or Hal9k build which had many fixes and tweaks to resolve some of the minor issues.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...-malaysk-roms-px5-2-4-gb-8-0-android-t3762724

https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...nt/rom-hal9k-rom-3-mtcd-e-head-units-t3847477

Last edited:
OP
AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
OK. Well this is a bit of a rabbit hole but I think I'm pretty much there.
I installed a patched MCU update which gives the software more control over the audio hardware and a custom ROM both of which were straightforward following the instructions on the XDA forums. Pretty happy so far.
The custom ROM allows a number of tweaks that further improve audio quality.

I then installed the Carlauncher AGAMA which makes it much more functional as an in-car unit.

44665444995_319fe2eac9_c.jpg

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That looks nice and linux-like, I love that!

Not sure I want to risk patching my head unit, although I see this should work for 6.01 too ... hmmm

I'm fitting a CarPlay dongle in a couple of weeks, perhaps that will do for now.

Reactions: M80
OP
AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

Not sure I want to risk patching my head unit, although I see this should work for 6.01 too ... hmmm

I'm fitting a CarPlay dongle in a couple of weeks, perhaps that will do for now.

Patching isn't a big deal as long as you check twice before updating. Using the wrong update can be a major issue.
Just check your hardware details in the Android settings and make sure you use the correct one for your hardware.
In my case it is MTCE_LM

30613791647_c1ac1cc8cf_k.jpg

Mine was already on 8.0 so I stuck with it but there is no real reason to update the Android version if you have the app support.

BTW - Those Carplay dongles look cool and have dropped in price since I last looked.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.

Is the CarPlay for ease of playing music from yuor phone, or more?
Just affraid of missing out, bit like a kid in the playground here.

The patch for your HU Anthony, or at least your home screen layout looks good. It beats the cartoony style of the HU I have.

Mine is the same as David GLK's and is w/o buttons. A clean finish and appealing for that. What I miss is just a small number of buttons that allow for instant switching between Sat Nav and what ever media is in operation.
I generally drive with Sat Nav on display, if I then want to change tuner station or music album it means just a little more effort and distraction of button pressing back to home screen each time.

I could be temted to fit a wifi steering control with up to 10 buttons that can be programmed within the unit. The problem there is that then the oem steering wheel controls would be disabled, and of course there would be an additional lump on the steering wheel.
Previous Chinese kit would always come with a remote control, that would have feasably have been the answer.

OP
AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I think there is some software to help with this. Have a look at MTCD tools if you have a PX3 or PX5 based unit.
The other option might be voice control with the Google API.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem there seems to be that google voice control only wants to integrate with selective apps.
I use it to make calls and send text but on the phone only as the HU won't communicate with the phone even when BT connected. The phone refuses to deal with Whatsapp and most other apps.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the CarPlay for ease of playing music from yuor phone, or more?
No idea, to be honest - just like you I'm thinking: there's a gadget available, and I like Apple interface, so why not :)

Once it's fitted, I'll report back.

The patching is looking more and more attractive too ...

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see we can have car launchers in various forms as apps. I might give one a try sometime.
I'm happy enough with audio output of the HU so don't feel a need for improvement, aside from maybe a sub at some point.

OP
AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
The patching is looking more and more attractive too ...

The updated audio fx tool may work ok without updating the MCU but does require root access so the custom ROM or anthother method of adding root access is required.
What is really nice is the separate settings for speaker/headphones/bluetooth etc.

https://www.viper4androidfx.com/blog/

The main issue I have now is that the steering wheel controls affect the HU whether the menu is on Audio or not. Not major but I would like to resolve this if possible.

The launchers can be installed as apps and only setting them as the default makes them active with the home button so can be trialled.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom