Saggy rear end

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350 Grand Edition 2011, ML350 Sport 2010, VW Splitscreen 1965
The rear offside on my wife's E220 CDI W212 keeps dropping overnight, so much that the wheel sits well within the arch. It goes to normal height when the car is started and drives fine.

So far my indie has replaced both rear struts/bellows (under warranty) and the valve between the compressor and both bellows (at my cost).

The suspension keeps dropping on the offside only.

They say they have eliminated any leaks on the pipework and are scratching their heads as to what's next.

It's getting expensive...:confused:

Any pointers or ideas would be very welcome !

Thanks

Jonny

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would still have suspected a leak or fracture in the pipes or hoses somewhere, quite difficult to detect sometimes, as the routing often rubs on the sub frames causing the issues.
Apologies if you already told me Jonny, I’ve a memory like a sieve, but which Indy are you using?

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rob & Steve in Hoylake. They reckon they've done a test on all the pipes and it's not them...

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm, John - not sure how they’ve tested the pipe work but I’ve just emailed them Malcolm’s link.

Very helpful and much appreciated !

Cheers

Jonny

OP
J

JonnyCJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like it's finally sorted. The drop was getting quite quick and therefore it's been much easier to diagnose the leak.

Turns out that there are 2 x plastic pipes zip wired together. They were rubbing against each other and what started off as a micro leak became much bigger.

MB Wirral are therefore replacing the whole of the rear pipework and unions and putting it back together how it should have come from the factory.

I can see exactly how it couldn't have been diagnosed before, as the two pipes were touching and the leak could well have been downwards and therefore hidden.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom