Sat Nav update

Nick-e220

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2015 2.2 bluetec
Hi all, I have a 2015 e220, how do I update my sat nav?

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
You have to take in to MB.
You will get 3 years of free updates from first registration.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
And don't let then fob you off that it doesn't need doing, there is a more recent map.

It will take a coupe of hours though at least

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 September 2014 3500cc 7G Auto Iridium Silver R231
Dear Forumators,
On topic, but first, some news. I've been and gone and done it! An SL500 has now joined the household, to replace the SLK350, after all this time.
Back to the topic:
The supplier (not Merc) obtained for me the 2016/2017 update DVD (s. There are two) from Merc Watford (and he has given me a copy of his invoice, showing that MB Watford supplied the update package on 1/5/2017 and the car had a 'Last visit' to them on 9/2/2017).
The car dates from May 2008 and the version of Comand unit contains a 6 disc changer and an SD slot (above the CD/DVD slot).
The player works (with music). Indeed, the Sat Nav works too, albeit in a very geriatric manner (much like the writer...)
However, while the player will accept the Sat Nav disc, an on-screen message is generated. 'Disc Unreadable. Contact MB Service'.
I do not doubt the goodwill of the supplier (who is a looong way away) and I do not wish to involve the local Merc Men unless absolutely necessary.
Thoughts and remedial suggestions would be very gratefully received.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Dear Forumators,
On topic, but first, some news. I've been and gone and done it! An SL500 has now joined the household, to replace the SLK350, after all this time.
Back to the topic:
The supplier (not Merc) obtained for me the 2016/2017 update DVD (s. There are two) from Merc Watford (and he has given me a copy of his invoice, showing that MB Watford supplied the update package on 1/5/2017 and the car had a 'Last visit' to them on 9/2/2017).
The car dates from May 2008 and the version of Comand unit contains a 6 disc changer and an SD slot (above the CD/DVD slot).
The player works (with music). Indeed, the Sat Nav works too, albeit in a very geriatric manner (much like the writer...)
However, while the player will accept the Sat Nav disc, an on-screen message is generated. 'Disc Unreadable. Contact MB Service'.
I do not doubt the goodwill of the supplier (who is a looong way away) and I do not wish to involve the local Merc Men unless absolutely necessary.
Thoughts and remedial suggestions would be very gratefully received.
You might find that your Comand needs a firmware update before it will read the disc and update the sat nav, that's what I had to do with my SL last year

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi all, I have a 2015 e220, how do I update my sat nav?

If you have comand then you get three years map updates for free. you need to ask your local dealer to do this for you. If you have the SD card or Becker map pilot version of navigation then you wont get free updates.

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Very many thanks for your reply.
So far, the MB dealer who supplied the disc set (to the outfit which sold me the car) seems to be back-tracking on whether the disc set supplied is the right one for the job!
Monday may bring some news...and a different disc set. I have been told that the car will need to sit with engine running (for a loooong time!) while the update programme runs, so I'll be looking out for bandits while the operation is ongoing!!
If the matter is not resolved by my 'chaps' then I'll certainly take your advice and consult the 'guys' you mention.
Just for info, the disc drive on my car is not in the boot (unlike a Mk2 SLK350 I owned some time ago).

The guys at Comandonline are the best place to get info. Let them have your VIN number and details of the disc you have (version etc).

I don't know your car but this item on their website suggests the disc goes into a drive in the boot.
https://www.commandonline.co.uk/Comand-APS-Map-DVD-Europe-NTG1.html

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You might find that your Comand needs a firmware update before it will read the disc and update the sat nav, that's what I had to do with my SL last year
Thanks for your kind reply. I had hoped that the car would have up-to-date software ( or maybe that is too naïve...!) because it has full MB service history and the last visit was in January 2017. The existing sat. nav lacks full post code, and it must be said that the lady who gives the instructions (Henrietta the Navigator) is less polite than the sat.navs on my two previous (MK2 & Mk3) slk350 s! They always said 'Please...'!
MB are now suggesting they may have provided the wrong disc set and I hope to get their definitive response next week.
So, we shall see...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You're welcome - regarding the length of time to run the discs, I just went for a drive for an hour and a half whilst running them and that was fine...

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting. The little beasts (at MB Watford) have told me not to move the motor while the download proceeds because it will 'confuse the sat.nav' ! Maybe my car is older (probably like the driver...!)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah well no one told me and it worked fine! My SL was a 2008 SL500 Face lift, palladium silver

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah well no one told me and it worked fine! My SL was a 2008 SL500 Face lift, palladium silver
Mine too is a 'face lift' version. But perhaps the colour made the difference!! Haven't heard from the 'Man' yet about the remedy and/or the new discs. Fingers crossed. Do you happen to know if your Comand software was already up to date? And if it was (up to date), is there a straightforward way to get the software version displayed on the screen. I would prefer not to approach it with a screwdriver....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
No, mine needed a firmware update before it would accept the new discs....but I'm sure I remember a post recently where the newer discs would work without a firmware update...sure Alfie at Comand will know

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm trying to remember if the software version shows in your Comand when you open the secret menu?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
2008 could be an NTG1 car or the facelifted car with NTG 2.5. Each uses different disks.

NTG1 has the navigation drive in the boot on the left. This will not need an update as the latest NTG1 disks have the update on them. Partial postcodes only.

NTG 2.5 has a hard drive inside which hold the navigation data. If your firmware is old (earlier than 08/13) then it will need updating before the new maps can be loaded. The update is done via Xentry at your local dealer or by a good independent that has factory Xentry/Star. Clone systems cannot do this.

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm trying to remember if the software version shows in your Comand when you open the secret menu?

And what, pray, is the 'secret menu'? Had it got anything to do with the Famous Five?!

PHUNN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 could be an NTG1 car or the facelifted car with NTG 2.5. Each uses different disks.

NTG1 has the navigation drive in the boot on the left. This will not need an update as the latest NTG1 disks have the update on them. Partial postcodes only.

NTG 2.5 has a hard drive inside which hold the navigation data. If your firmware is old (earlier than 08/13) then it will need updating before the new maps can be loaded. The update is done via Xentry at your local dealer or by a good independent that has factory Xentry/Star. Clone systems cannot do this.

The discs I've been given are not (I sincerely hope!!) 'clone'. They come in a Merc box which bears the catchy title 'Navigations-Update COMAND APS 2016/2017' amongst other matters.
There is no disc drive in the boot and I'm fairly confident that there is a hard drive (which contains the Music Register) in the dash board unit.
Haven't heard back for my supplier yet but expect (because I'm an eternal optimist) to hear about his suggested solution within the next couple of days.
Meanwhile, many thanks for your input.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
And what, pray, is the 'secret menu'? Had it got anything to do with the Famous Five?!
After copious jam sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer - have a look on google -
"mb secret menu"
You'll find lots of stuff, be cautious though, lots of versions and some idle fiddling could get you into trouble!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Key to position 1 then press the trip reset button twice gets you in....the useful thing in there is your consumer battery charge state upon which everything in an SL relies - almost

Top Bottom