Seized caliper piston

stuarth

Reaction score
W123. I removed the pads and pumped the brake to see if the calieprs move. Both did (rear) but one simply will not go back, no matter what leverage I use. So, is there some sort of limit or is this simply broken or jammed, in which case I replace the caliper?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
W123. I removed the pads and pumped the brake to see if the calieprs move. Both did (rear) but one simply will not go back, no matter what leverage I use. So, is there some sort of limit or is this simply broken or jammed, in which case I replace the caliper?

You may have levered it off the square and if it is sitting foul in the caliper it will be hard to move..place an old pad across the face of the piston and then build up the gap across the front of the piston with old pads or metal strip..ensure they are level and straight.pump the brake again and this should level up the piston then try pushing it back a G Clamp and an old pad across the front of the piston is the best way to push em back.. also check your rears dont need a special tool to screw them back in...I will check on this..

OP
S

stuarth

Reaction score
it is a w123 estate (240TD) from 1982...
Might be easier to change the calipers since I started the job because one of the rear brakes was binding and getting very hot. The handbrake is ok.

OP
S

stuarth

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced shop for calipers in the UK? I tried Brakes International but they won't ship outside the UK...
BTW, the prices I see in the UK are on average one half to one third of European prices

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Brakes International

will let you arrange your own courier if you are abroad. I don't get any kickbacks btw, i know the directors very well.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom