Selling my car

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have trader pals who would broker a car for me and who have the best means of promoting a car for sale all as part of their course of running their business. They are experienced at dismissing time wasters on the telephone.

I would not put up with the hassle of tyre kickers and silly o'clock telephone calls and muppets seeking a discount without viewing the car.

Do you not know a dealer who would broker the car for you?

Mic

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
I think the OP was ill-advised to use Autotrader, which throws up a lot of timewasters. I have always sold successfully through Pistonheads, which is much more of an enthusiasts' site.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I have trader pals who would broker a car for me and who have the best means of promoting a car for sale all as part of their course of running their business. They are experienced at dismissing time wasters on the telephone.

I would not put up with the hassle of tyre kickers and silly o'clock telephone calls and muppets seeking a discount without viewing the car.

Do you not know a dealer who would broker the car for you?

Mic

Don't know any dealers no. I put the details into the Evans Halshaw site, that came back with £5,145 but I think that is based on the car only having had one owner and at least 6mths MOT, neither of which applies to mine :???:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think the OP was ill-advised to use Autotrader, which throws up a lot of timewasters. I have always sold successfully through Pistonheads, which is much more of an enthusiasts' site.

An enthusiasts' site selling cars for enthusiasts ...... Lyn is selling a Fiat 500 & there's thousands of them which makes it a buyers' market. That's not to excuse the idiots that phone at silly o'clock etc

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
A very niche market there are around 30 Fiat 500 autos on AT at the moment so a degree of patience will be required Lyn. Looking at your advert it ticks all the boxes, the price is about right for the year, it's a good colour and has a sunroof so all in all it should attract some interest which it already has.

You've paid for the ad so I would be inclined to sit back and see what happens it does look a nice clean example and in the meantime decide what your bottom line is on the car I suspect a little movement North on price might be required to move it on and a good negotiating tool most people like to haggle especially with a private sale

Good luck with it and hope it goes to a good home it looks well cared for

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Don't know any dealers no. I put the details into the Evans Halshaw site, that came back with £5,145 but I think that is based on the car only having had one owner and at least 6mths MOT, neither of which applies to mine :???:

I'll bet you still get 5, sure they'll not knock you down too much as the car is decent - personally I can't be bothered with the selling privately bit!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Try an ebay Auction.

When the hammer falls, that's the car sold. No arguments.

When I sold mine, the guy turned up, I handed him the keys, said goodbye and shut the front door....there was nothing more to discuss, at least nothing to my advantage.

The only condition is that you cancel any bids from buyers with less than say, 20 Positive Feedback points (and say so in your listing).

Chancers never have decent Feedback..

Unfortunately on ebay when the hammer falls that is not necessarily the car sold. My son is selling a Seat Leon Cupra on ebay, he has sold it twice now but the car is still not gone. The first buyer claimed it was his son that was bidding and he didn't want the car, the second buyer just failed to make contact after winning.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Though older cars, I sold a couple of cars on Auto Trader fairly easily. Obviously I got the same kind of people trying to knock me down before they'd even seen them. And one buyer then asked me to fill the V5 in as though it was being sold to a trader ....he'd already told me he'd wanted it as a run about ..... I refused.
I'd use AT in preference to eBay.

Painter16

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl350 2007
At least you haven't had the bloke who spends hours on the phone wanting to discuss every detail, and then never calls you back.

I am wary now. If you want to talk about the car, come and see it.

Some people are basically lonely, and welcome the attention and the opportunity to talk to someone. No intention of buying the car.

Ya got to be really lonely to do that me thinks

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Might be worth stumping up 40 quid to get 12mths mot on it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've always had more success parking on the street with a large neon orange "For Sale" sign in it. Very much depends on the market and price of the car but I've sold a few that way without issues. With Autotrader I've had nothing but spam calls and time wasters.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Yes I had thought about that, can get it done quite cheaply at Halfords I think :D

If you've got £20 of Tesco clubcard vouchers you can swop them 3 for 1 so get £60 of Halfords Autocentre vouchers, which pays for an MoT. I've done this for both our cars for many years. Normally the cheapest MoT you can find is £30, but with Tesco/Halfords vouchers you "pay" the full price £54.50 with the £60 of vouchers, but do not get any change!.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Halfords for a MOT? Surely anywhere else is better than Halfords :confused:

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Halfords for a MOT? Surely anywhere else is better than Halfords :confused:

It's an MOT inspection, not mechanical work being carried out on the car... How could one place differ from another (apart from trying to rip you off for unnecessary services/rapiers) :confused:

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I've always had more success parking on the street with a large neon orange "For Sale" sign in it. Very much depends on the market and price of the car but I've sold a few that way without issues. With Autotrader I've had nothing but spam calls and time wasters.

You possibly don't remember what happened the one and only time I left the Fiat out on the street :(

Top Bottom