OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Calum, this is excellent advice.
I'm more than happy to help but as said you need to put some work in yourself too.
I was fortunate enough to be brought up in a family where engineering and mechanical stuff was a way of life and a time when it was possible to fix almost any car with a bit of number 8 to get you home (00slk will know what I mean).
I sympathise with you and applaud that you want to learn. Follow the advice and keep asking. It's how to learn. And remember, Google is your best friend.
Thank you Lost Kiwi. :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Calumcco , I think you are an advanced AI robot that is learning by testing the responses of us humans after throwing out random questions ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Calumcco , I think you are an advanced AI robot that is learning by testing the responses of us humans after throwing out random questions ;)
Calum is a real person, he is a very polite young man. I can verify this.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
My mother had one back in the 80s and it was beautiful, Ive had a soft spot for one all my life but never got one, hence why I was hoping this one might be promising. I have saved some money and wouldnt mind taking a chance. I have some contacts who can weld also so I just need to make sure the engine is sound and that the body work is the only issue.

Back in the 80s my best friend's Dad had one. Well, many. He was production manager at Longbridge so knew them rather well. He lived to drive them but was glad they were swapped every 6mths!

To give you an idea of the problems nowadays, one of the wealthiest men I know- richer even than John Laidlaw!- bought one from eBay as a rally car. He's worth about £15 million or so to give you an idea and even he balked at the costs of fixing it up and keeping it fixed. Kept it running 6mth and ended up dumping it in an unused shed in his factory. Scarily long stopping distances he discovered...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Calum if you're serious about an SD1 wait for a V8. Parts are more readily available and it's a vastly better engine. Save your money a bit longer and look for a Vitesse. At least it'll hold its value better and even in the worst case the parts will have value too.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Calum if you're serious about an SD1 wait for a V8. Parts are more readily available and it's a vastly better engine. Save your money a bit longer and look for a Vitesse. At least it'll hold its value better and even in the worst case the parts will have value too.

When you say "worst", you mean "likely" really ;)

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Thank you all for your replies. By the way I asked the seller why he was selling it the day before yesterday and he never replied. I smell a rat.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Calum I know what you mean about liking cars from your youth. I would love a P6 Rover V8, like my dad had when i was young.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't buy a rotbox example of one just to have it, unless I was prepared to undertake a proper restoration job and had very deep pockets.

I'll always have a soft spot for the much-maligned Morris Marina, as that was my first car and it represented freedom and transport and starting to make my way on my own.

Again tho, I wouldnt waste my money on one now as the truth is, cars from the 70s and early 80s, with a few honourable exceptions, were crap. Crap inside, crap to drive, no abs, no power steering etc.

So like someone else said, if you must have an SD1, at least get the V8, to give you some pleasure from driving it.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Probably rebadged and bog standard? A lot left to the imagination!

Ernie

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Marina? Ugh! Nurse, the mind bleach and stat!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Well aye, now I'd hate to drive one but I loved my puke yellow 1.8TC when I was 17.

I'd quite like to stick every snotty little 17 year old oik who thinks he's Lewis Hamilton in a Marina and have them experience what it's like to actually have to drive a car that doesn't do everything for you.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well aye, now I'd hate to drive one but I loved my puke yellow 1.8TC when I was 17.

I'd quite like to stick every snotty little 17 year old oik who thinks he's Lewis Hamilton in a Marina and have them experience what it's like to actually have to drive a car that doesn't do everything for you.

"Get upto 60 in this car and then do a controlled emergency stop..."

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
At least we could take 'em to bits and put them back together....
I was a Mini (young) man back in those days, fond memories;)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
"Get upto 60 in this car and then do a controlled emergency stop..."
That was quite a nice lazy but torquey engine in that, shame about the rest of it. A buddy of mine's father had a Windscreen company and was able to secure a contract from Austin Rover to fit Vinyl Roofs and Webasto's to the TC just to help them get rid of the bluddy things. :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Ah yes - me too. First, second and third cars were all Minis.
First was a Mini Traveller (complete with wood sides), then a Cooper S (now that WAS fun) then Mini 1000 van (concurrent to the Cooper S). Even had a Morris 1300 snotter that I ran about in for 3 months while rebuilding the Cooper S - the 1300 had sod all compression and drank oil but it never let me down!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Quite often they didn't need any help in disassembly!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Personally I've always wanted a TR7 (I know I know), really no idea why as it was a pile of dung...suspect I will get one anyway and throw my considerable wealth at it for a laugh (that's for you Craig!!)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Personally I've always wanted a TR7 (I know I know), really no idea why as it was a pile of dung...suspect I will get one anyway and throw my considerable wealth at it for a laugh (that's for you Craig!!)
When I was in my mid to late twenties I had a Mustard yellow hardtop TR6, a car that I would really love to have to-day. If only we had enough foresight and the means in those days :rolleyes:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom