Service Contracts

ba9rn

Reaction score
Does anyone here use a Service Contract, as described here?:
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...after_sales/maintenance/service_contract.html

I have tried asking (twice!) via the email link on the above site (NO response in 3 weeks), and have spent multiple wasted minutes on hold on their phone line before giving up!

My question is simple - how is the amount of the 'contract' worked out? ie. What if the annual servicing cost is above or below the amount contracted, do they refund/bill separately?

I all looks a great idea, but they sure are reluctant to talk about it!

zsadiq1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211
I've got service plus which includes wear and tear items. They calculate the premium from your annual mileage.It lasts for 3 years and you can't cancel during that time. If you go over your mileage they will recalculate it and you pay more. I think generally you break even unless a fault occurs in which case you'll be better off.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Do a forum search for ServicePlus.

I called them ages ago and asked for info but nothing ever arrived. Funnily enough I got a brochure about it from Inchcape (who own my local dealer) today. I'm quite surprised the dealer is promoting it - I would image MB pay them a lot less for servicing work than they'd charge customers directly. Although I have seen comments that dealers are struggling a bit for work, as the more recent cars have needed a lot less warranty work.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It has been covered on the forum a few times, Omni had it and has posted on it recently. Pls have a search.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
zsadiq1 said:
I've got service plus which includes wear and tear items. They calculate the premium from your annual mileage.It lasts for 3 years and you can't cancel during that time. If you go over your mileage they will recalculate it and you pay more. I think generally you break even unless a fault occurs in which case you'll be better off.

Careful. You can cancel and it does not necessarily last three years. You can take out service plus before the three year guarantee is up -if you wish- and the price reflects the fact that the guarantee is in place till end year three.

Service Plus can be taken out to cover you up to the sixth anniversary of first registration -or 120,000 miles whichever comes first.

You can cancel but there is a penalty of three monthly payments -not too bad. Or you can pass it on to a new owner when you sell and they take on the payments. No price increases throughout the contract.

Why do dealers promote it and why do Mercedes? Because at the moment most cars after the guarantee period drift away to independents which are cheaper. So the idea is to offer good value and bring back clients with cars 3 years old and beyond and it is extra business for the dealer and more parts sold for Mercedes. In addition, as Mercs get more reliable some dealers are complaining about too little work to keep staff busy in the service departments. So makes sense for dealers, for customers and for Mercedes.

What does it cover? As other threads show, as well as covering all service and MOT costs, brakes, exhaust and so on, it is virtually an extended warranty covering almost everything if it fails in normal use (but not due to vandalism or owner misuse). If you stick a scaffold pole through the Comand system it is not covered. If it breaks down: it is covered. And gearboxes, electric windows, aircon, etc etc.

What does it cost? I don't know for other models but for my S320cdi I was quoted £62 per month plus vat. Pretty good deal I thought and peace of mind. Hope this helps.

conman

Reaction score
I just took a 3 yrs service plus contract. I think it is worth it after estmate all the services (service A B , brake, cluthes and etc.)i am likey to go through during year 4 5 and 6.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
conman said:
I just took a 3 yrs service plus contract. I think it is worth it after estmate all the services (service A B , brake, cluthes and etc.)i am likey to go through during year 4 5 and 6.

Yes and don't forget you can sell with full MBSH, plus you keep a 30 year rust guarantee, PLUS you get free breakdown service (which for a couple costs £150 from the AA).

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I was quoted £90pm on 25k pa on my E270cdi.
I think it's fair value if you insist on dealer services, know your annual mileage and don't have a warranty as there is some overlap as described above. If you're happy to use an indie and already have a warranty, it's not as good. I've had 2 indie services at a around £550 and new set of pads for another £150 or so, therefore the £1100 quote from MB is getting on for twice what I have actually spent over the last 12 months. That was on around 25k. This year, I expect to do around 8k but I didn't know that last year and I came a hairs bredth from doing 50k instead. As the car ages and the warranty expires it will start to look considerably better. If I decide to extend the warranty beyond year 4, then I may change my mind and switch as the £600 cost of the warranty would go to service plus instead, making it much better value, but to be fair, you don't get that many problems on a properly looked after 5 year old merc and they stop cover at year 6. Plus, if I do clock up 8kpa I could be in a situation of paying over 12 months but not actually visit the dealer at all.

Top Bottom