Service interval

pb33

Reaction score
Hi!

Looking at the purchase of a 2003 / 53 E-class estate, advertised as having "FMBSH". The history is:

1st registered November 2003

1st service: Jan 2005 9000
2nd service: Sept 2005 19000

Is this according to the accepted MB service interval?

Thanks for your help!

Paul

SJMaxson

Reaction score
Website
www.maxson.org.uk
ASSYST service intervals

At this age, the service interval is determined by the car, according to a number of factors - the mileage, the type of mileage (stop-start, motorway, etc).

Although there does seem to be a slightly unusual pattern of mileage (9000 miles in 13/14 months, 10000 miles in the next 8 or so), the service intervals could well be correct, yes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Looks fine to me too, it only takes one long trip to change the average.

Malcolm

mercman_1

Reaction score
As has been said Service intervals are determined by the way the car has been driven and the milage covered, Example my car has only done 40,000 miles and is now eight years old and has only been serviced Five times the gap between last service I had done and the previous one was almost two years.
Bob.T.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The intervals confuse me. I got 17k out of the 240 on one occasion but the 270 is sticking rigidly to 10k at the moment, despite travelling the same route and given it has more power, presumably working less hard.
I'm going to insist on fully synth oil at the next change and see what that does. Failing that, perhaps as the engine loosens it will improve.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
pb33 said:
Hi!

Looking at the purchase of a 2003 / 53 E-class estate, advertised as having "FMBSH". The history is:

1st registered November 2003

1st service: Jan 2005 9000
2nd service: Sept 2005 19000

Is this according to the accepted MB service interval?
l

Hi Paul

Yes, the service intervals look reasonable. It's entirely feasible for the service interval to be as long as 2 years. It all depends upon how the car is driven. Motorway-type journeys will require more frequent services than A/B road journeys. Treat the car gently and the service interval will lengthen.

Modern synthetic oils don't breakdown and it is largely the state of the oil that determines the service intervals.

REGARDS Phil

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
philharve said:
Motorway-type journeys will require more frequent services than A/B road journeys.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Surely motorway journeys better for the car as they are generally steady runs in top at operating temp, no gearchanges and gentle throttle. A/B is higher overall revs and more acceleration plus shorter journeys and longer periods running cold.

dogsbody

Reaction score
I dont think that automated systems accurately reflect the service requirement anyway.
My car for the last three months has been used on short stop start, school run and shopping trips, whilst before that it was doing long distance motorway type runs.
On the former type runs where the engine rarely gets hot, I would expect to change the oil twice a year, regardless, on the basis that £25 of oil is an investment, because the type of running is condusive to creating acid radicles, which cause more damage to the engine than simple running type wear.
On the other hand if the car is doing long motorway type mileages, is getting hot, and not running "in choke mode", then there are far less in the way of acids being formed and hence the oil will last a lot longer

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi All

Just had an 'A' service on my C230K and I expect a 'B' service next time UNLESS the ASSYST determines otherwise.

I looked in my handbook and it clearly states that a 'B' service follows 22,000km after an 'A' service. This suggests to me that the ASSYST system has a means of reading the odometer which seems likely because its electronic. I wonder if this 'fixed' mileage can be extended by oil changes/top-ups.

REGARDS Phil

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would expect so. 20,000km is 13k miles which is the fixed interval if fully synth oil is used. I got my 240 up to 17k with a couple of top-ups with Mobil 1, though nothing much seems to influence the 270!

B

bobceeuk

Beware of FMBSH.
A while back I was informed by a main dealer that if I took the car in just to have the oil changed my service book would still be stamped.
Not really in the spirit of things is it.:rolleyes:

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bobceeuk said:
Beware of FMBSH.
A while back I was informed by a main dealer that if I took the car in just to have the oil changed my service book would still be stamped.
Not really in the spirit of things is it.
Depends on what you want from FMBSH - the main thing is Mobilio. If it has the stamp then it stands. The rest is irrelevant provided that the work has been done properly. An MB mechanic is no better than an indie one just because he wears corporate overalls. The important thing is that all work that should have been done, has been. On most 2 year old cars, it will have been.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom