Servicing Costs - what do you think?

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Mercedes want 35 quid a month for the same thing on my C. What a ****ing JOKE. And I have to take it in. £840. 3 times the cost for the SAME thing. And that's before we add on the inflated charges for brake fluid, fuel filter etc.

To be fair, it does cover those other items if they're due at the service.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
To be fair, it does cover those other items if they're due at the service.
Still a load of money though !! :shock:

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
To the op. I wouldn't waste any more time. Just book with ACMS. Marc has been looking after my cars for years now and I've never had reason to regret using him. He did a cracking job recently in diagnosing and resolving an issue I had with my SLK. You won't find better.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I will not be returning to MB dealership again. CLS250 cdi B service consisted of air, fuel, & oil filter + 6.5 litres of oil for the princely sum of £670. To top it off the car was ready for collection (including wash and hoover) within an hour . Needless to say I felt the need to voice my disgust to the service manager, who after telling me that it had been in the F1 bay and seeing my facial expression, knocked £130 off the bill!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ouch , I feel your pain buddy , did you have to pull your own pants down for that price or is that a free service they provide :D .
Finding a good local Indy will be a good long term plan now .

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 09/09 (2010 my M273 Engine) Now completed 40K Palladium/Black
I have attached a copy of a recent Main Dealer B service invoice.

I could have got it for £175 as my car is now over 7 years old but this would then exclude
Mobilo and corrosion cover etc., so I opted for the alternative.

They also let me inspect the underneath of the vehicle whilst on the ramps, as I never
get to see it only on annual services. No ABC misting or any oil traces whatsoever.

I feel lucky. 20170811_201015[1].jpg 20170811_200827[1].jpg

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have attached a copy of a recent Main Dealer B service invoice.

When they're only charging for about half-an-hour's labour you do wonder how much time they spend on the car! If you'd had the Value service then you wouldn't have got the pollen filter and key battery changed, which (at least at their prices) is most of the difference.

My last B service was £249 at Inchcape's MB Chester, although my car takes a bit less oil than yours and pollen filter is cheaper. That price just came up on MyService, I didn't have to go through the usual process of pleading with them!

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When they're only charging for about half-an-hour's labour you do wonder how much time they spend on the car! If you'd had the Value service then you wouldn't have got the pollen filter and key battery changed, which (at least at their prices) is most of the difference.

My last B service was £249 at Inchcape's MB Chester, although my car takes a bit less oil than yours and pollen filter is cheaper. That price just came up on MyService, I didn't have to go through the usual process of pleading with them!

I actually took the car in and waited while they serviced it. I would say it was in the workshop for about 90 minutes and this would include my visit to the service bay. They did not mind how long I took to view the car underneath and the "technician", who was old school definitely took an interest and said he would show me any areas of concern if any. He remembered the car from the previous years service and made the comment that it was similar to a 12 month old car, albeit it is now over 7 years.

Michael

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... If you'd had the Value service then you wouldn't have got the ...... key battery changed, which .....

I'd be pee'd off if I thought I'd to pay someone to replace a battery (or 2) in my key

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for the above comments

As the service was a quoted fixed price on the Mercedes system, I did not think it was too bad compared to other service quotes seen on this forum.

The screenwash was given to me in the unopened bottle as when they checked existing, it was acceptable and I imagine within their system they are not likely to deduct small items from the original quote.

As for the battery, I am unsure how much these things cost, all I know is I am happy to keep the key working.

With all the other checks etc., and maintaining full dealer history, which is probably important with this low mileage car. I am doubtful if even an independent would match the cost.

The new revised MB service booking website currently showing has been changed and there is no obvious indication that the reduced service cost for vehicles over 7 years old is still available. I hope so for the future!

On the next "A" Service the price quoted today is £500+ but included £222 for new sparkplugs under the four year advisory change period. These have only covered 16k miles since the last change and I would doubt need changing as far as efficiency or function is concerned. However if I decline them, both Mobilo and Corrosion warranty are lost which seems a little like blackmail.

The only maintenance cost on this car over 19 months to date has been two services, so I can't complain.

Michael

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Thank you for the above comments

As the service was a quoted fixed price on the Mercedes system, I did not think it was too bad compared to other service quotes seen on this forum.

The screenwash was given to me in the unopened bottle as when they checked existing, it was acceptable and I imagine within their system they are not likely to deduct small items from the original quote.

As for the battery, I am unsure how much these things cost, all I know is I am happy to keep the key working.

With all the other checks etc., and maintaining full dealer history, which is probably important with this low mileage car. I am doubtful if even an independent would match the cost.

The new revised MB service booking website currently showing has been changed and there is no obvious indication that the reduced service cost for vehicles over 7 years old is still available. I hope so for the future!

On the next "A" Service the price quoted today is £500+ but included £222 for new sparkplugs under the four year advisory change period. These have only covered 16k miles since the last change and I would doubt need changing as far as efficiency or function is concerned. However if I decline them, both Mobilo and Corrosion warranty are lost which seems a little like blackmail.

The only maintenance cost on this car over 19 months to date has been two services, so I can't complain.

Michael

Hi Micheal
Seems crazy B Service £265
A service £500+ ???

I wonder if they would end your Mobilo if you declined something?
I declined to change a front leaking strut, brake fluid change and gearbox fluid change, and MB Mobilo came out happily.
I did subsequently have all three done at an Indy certified to update the electronic service record. ( but they cant update the ESB unless its part of a service).

I think I would have had a problem if say the strut, brakes or gearbox had failed before I changed it. (that would have been fair).

I guess they could reasonably? refuse any engine fault if you declined the spark plugs as technically you hadnt maintained the engine properly.

Weirdly my Spark Plugs have only done 10,300 miles ... say 11,000 by the service due in September. I am all for proper maintenance; but for an item that is 60,000 miles or 4 years ... I doubt much is wrong with them at 11,300 miles.
Yeah I know its good to have them out periodically so they dont sieze up. Like my mums car it had done 2,650 miles when it was 4 years old. Their rather valid point was:- it would take circa 9 years before they had done 60,000!
Just checked mine were done @ 32,500 in June 2013 and so are on year 4 :-/
seems right :( as she is 8 this year :(

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Micheal
Seems crazy B Service £265
A service £500+ ???

It's a bit distorted as they did the B service for £60 plus parts, and now the system is quoting full price for an A service. The B service is mainly a lot of checks and most dealers do those regardless of which service you have as part of their in-house system that produces those green / amber / red coded health checks.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Completely confused now just spoke to MB Guildford
Its every 4th Service or 60,000 miles ... so doesnt need the spark plugs changed to keep mobilo!

I queried this saying surely its every 4th year !
"No, it is every fourth service ... its not had 3 services since they were changed so not due! "

Hell they dont even seem to know their own rules.
Price with them for just the spark plug change , when its due ..
£198.35 incl VAT .

Blimey this Service Costing seems just like the Post Code Lottery!

Apologies for seeming like a skinflint, but as you can imagine I am reticent to have them changed at only 11,300 miles

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Rory and Peter

I have just checked the service history and the plugs were changed on 10th June 2013 at 15007 miles and as it has been serviced annually since : 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 the next service indicator would be the fifth?.

I asked for a quote online today, only 3 months and 1000 miles since the last service in May 2017 at 32K. The system does not seem to recognise real world information as it clearly does not need a service yet!!!!

I would prefer to keep Mobilo and wonder who makes the decision as to whether it is retained or not?

As the next service is not due for another 10 months, I have time to delve into the matter and hope MB see it as advantageous to keep me as a customer.

Is the over 7 year old fixed price deal still available ???

Michael

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Peter

Just noticed your sparkplug cost £198 as against my quote £222

Is this your 10% haggling skills coming to the fore.

Michael

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello Rory and Peter

I have just checked the service history and the plugs were changed on 10th June 2013 at 15007 miles and as it has been serviced annually since : 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 the next service indicator would be the fifth?.

I asked for a quote online today, only 3 months and 1000 miles since the last service in May 2017 at 32K. The system does not seem to recognise real world information as it clearly does not need a service yet!!!!

I would prefer to keep Mobilo and wonder who makes the decision as to whether it is retained or not?

As the next service is not due for another 10 months, I have time to delve into the matter and hope MB see it as advantageous to keep me as a customer.

Is the over 7 year old fixed price deal still available ???

Michael
MB do still offer the 7+ year service (about £160 ish ) , BUT you will loose Mobilio . It all depends on how long you want to keep the car and how you worry about residual value , service history etc .

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Once out of warranty I find it very strange anyone would want to continue with overpriced main dealer servicing.
FMBSH is nothing special and I'd prefer to see Indy service stamps when buying a car.
At least there is more chance the work you have paid for has been done, especially when most indies are happy to let you watch them working on the car.

And why all this nonsense of different prices for the same thing depending on dealer. You would expect a standard price across the board, not a postcode lottery. Apart from the London branches that probably have to pay a premium for technicians, it shouldn't make any diffence which main dealer does the work. The price should remain constant.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
MB do still offer the 7+ year service (about £160 ish )
They do, though when I'd asked at a local dealer, he denied that they do. It was MB, themselves that confirmed it. I'd already had it done elsewhere though.

, BUT you will loose Mobilio . ..... .
I'm not really sure what's so good about it. It's certainly not as comprehensive as my Green Flag's May Day .... which also covers Emily's car.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They do, though when I'd asked at a local dealer, he denied that they do. It was MB, themselves that confirmed it. I'd already had it done elsewhere though.

I'm not really sure what's so good about it. It's certainly not as comprehensive as my Green Flag's May Day .... which also covers Emily's car.
I do my own servicing So I've definitely lost Mobilio :D

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom