Should all vented disc be handed so vents face into airflow

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Why are vented brake disc not handed
ie left & right so the vents face into the airflow on both sides.

Or is it only on the most expensive they make them like that.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Presuming you mean pierced discs? Because on almost every car they’re fitted to, airflow through the holes makes no difference to their braking performance!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The gap between the faces that allow air to cool from the inside outwards.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

The vented part of the disc is the bit between the two faces. Drilled or grooved discs (which I think you're referring to) are just cosmetic on a road car ..... their use is to prevent pads from glazing over on the track

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The vented part of the disc is the bit between the two faces. Drilled or grooved discs (which I think you're referring to) are just cosmetic on a road car ..... their use is to prevent pads from glazing over on the track
The holes are there to allow gas build up between pad and disc to be bled away. Since this only happens at extreme pad temperatures it's not going to do a lot for most road cars.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The holes are there to allow gas build up between pad and disc to be bled away. Since this only happens at extreme pad temperatures it's not going to do a lot for most road cars.

I bow to your superior knowledge, but I put what I've read ..... :confused:

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
So I assume at my usual speed of 50 it won’t matter , lol.
But would look better when fitting , it doesn’t feel natural putting one on and it looks the wrong way round.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So I assume at my usual speed of 50 it won’t matter , lol.
But would look better when fitting , it doesn’t feel natural putting one on and it looks the wrong way round.
Choose undrilled discs instead then and no problem!

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Choose undrilled discs instead then and no problem!
The OP is not talking about the drilled holes Craig, he's talking about the vanes or webs between the two rotors. On some makes they are shaped to act as a scoop and AP racing claim they should be installed facing backwards - absolute superfluous crap on a road car of course.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

a few for thought, some more likely than others ;)

if you want to stop you fit carbon ceramic brakes
there are more cost effective marketing gimmicks
you might overheat the brakes when reversing
because it would cost more
its not a rally car
the gap is enough to aid cooling
the benefit is limited as the wheels shield much of the air flow you might gain from making them directional, which can be gained from good aerodynamic design giving adequate airflow for high performance cars

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
a few for thought, some more likely than others ;)

if you want to stop you fit carbon ceramic brakes
there are more cost effective marketing gimmicks
you might overheat the brakes when reversing
because it would cost more
its not a rally car
the gap is enough to aid cooling
the benefit is limited as the wheels shield much of the air flow you might gain from making them directional, which can be gained from good aerodynamic design giving adequate airflow for high performance cars

For me it’s more for sensible appearance, in engineering for yrs I am used to things being handed , and I don’t think it would make any difference to the maker to produce them in pairs . When fitting the one that’s facing wrong way my brain can’t see it as correct.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
You seem to have a thing about this Mercmancdi, I just wanted to point out something that I found when taking off the front discs on my CLK a few days ago.

The two rotors of the vented disc were not held together with 'vanes' - sloping forwards or backwards - they were held together with hundreds of small cast iron 'pillars', with no difference between facing in any direction and not 'handed'.

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
T
You seem to have a thing about this Mercmancdi, I just wanted to point out something that I found when taking off the front discs on my CLK a few days ago.

The two rotors of the vented disc were not held together with 'vanes' - sloping forwards or backwards - they were held together with hundreds of small cast iron 'pillars', with no difference between facing in any direction and not 'handed'.

The ones I fitted were shaped right , well 1 was ,it even said to fit with the direction arrow as on disc.
But this didn’t matter as they were the same. Lol.

Wot1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E320 -648
T

The ones I fitted were shaped right , well 1 was ,it even said to fit with the direction arrow as on disc.
But this didn’t matter as they were the same. Lol.
Would have been better if you included photos of your dilemma and mfg and part number

OP
mercmancdi

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
They were no
Would have been better if you included photos of your dilemma and mfg and part number

They were not top of the range ,
Brembo I think at around £80 .
It’s not a dilemma, it’s just something
I noticed and thew out there .

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Most ordinary brakes will not be handed , they can have cross drilled holes pointing back thus internal vanes pointing back and the other side the opposite .

More purist applications like an E46 M3 are handed with all four pointing back as this allows the correct from center to outer air flow for cooling .

Top Bottom