Since when did Anti-Freeze & Coolant become so complicated ??

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So its safe to top-up with any anti-freeze which meets Mercedes spec 325.0, regardless of colour......
Thanks Lost Kiwi,
Jim2
Erm... no.
If you don't know whats in there drain and refill.
If you mix OAT and Glycol it can form a nasty sludge that is really difficult to remove.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Difference in part nrs.. I have seen MB Antifreeze MB approved 325,10 with two different Nrs:-
NR. A 000 989 08 25 10,
and A 000 989 08 25 11,
whats the difference does any one know? or are they identical chemically, but the end digits 10 and 11 indicate something else entirely?
Thanks Jim 2.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Bo
Thanks Botus. So Comma Xstream G48 will fit the bill. I was just querying what was the difference between the 2 MB antifreeze Nrs...one ending in 10, the other ending in 11? I have come across some instances that while the Nrs were different, the anti freeze-ATF - Oil ( insert liquid of your choice ) were identical chemically, but the packaging / quantities were different. hence the different Nrs.
Thanks agai for your help,
Regards, Jim2

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Jim its the antifreeze i have used in my engine for 4 years Comma Xstream G48 Now due for a change right now along with a new Gates thermostat.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Jim dont know the name but still on ebay [or was it Amazon] think may be it was Amazon . The screw on adaptor for the expansion cap was to strong for it to turn and lock .So i had to remove one turn of the spring ,it fits fine now . Will be doing the change soon . with G48 again.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jim its the antifreeze i have used in my engine for 4 years Comma Xstream G48 Now due for a change right now along with a new Gates thermostat.

I have just ordered the G48, and will do a complete flush and change..that will take the uncertainty out of it, for once and for all. I ordered the concentrate, and will mix it with water ( tap) 50/50. Its what I have always done in any other car I have ever had, and never had any problems. Important thing I guess is a thorough flush of the system, before filling it up again.
Thanks Dreamer Nr2 for your advice.
Regards Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jim dont know the name but still on ebay [or was it Amazon] think may be it was Amazon . The screw on adaptor for the expansion cap was to strong for it to turn and lock .So i had to remove one turn of the spring ,it fits fine now . Will be doing the change soon . with G48 again.

I will have a look for it. It's basically an extension of the expansion tank to allow for easier antifreeze changes? Should be simple to find it on the net,
Thanks Dreamer Nr2
Jim2

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Jim good one . Concentrate is the way to go . If you drain the coolant, and some water is left in after the flush, a pre mix would be no good . The water thats left in the system would dilute the 50/50 pre mix and make it weak.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have just ordered the G48, and will do a complete flush and change..that will take the uncertainty out of it, for once and for all. I ordered the concentrate, and will mix it with water ( tap) 50/50. Its what I have always done in any other car I have ever had, and never had any problems. Important thing I guess is a thorough flush of the system, before filling it up again.
Thanks Dreamer Nr2 for your advice.
Regards Jim2

Rather than add pre-mixed coolant, you're better off draining & flushing the coolant in the car and then add enough concentrated antifreeze such that when you top up with water you end up with a 50/50 mix. When you drain the water after flushing you can't be certain that you have drained it all.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So finally, today I got around to changing the antifreeze. Ran the engine until it was reading 80c, with heating full on. Then drained it, and measured the amount that came out, it was 6 Ltres. ( For some reason, I thought that the capacity would be nearer 10 Ltrs… ?? ) Anyway, I let it cool down a bit before refiling with tap water, ( I don't like putting cold water into a hot engine... ) then I repeated that process to drain the tapwater ( again 6 ltrs ) Then I refilled it with Comma Xtream G48, topped it up and took it for a drive, allowed it to reach 80c, heater full on,returned home and parked it up ( allowing it to run at low revs for a few mins ) After about 45 mins, checked the level and topped it up. And that is where I'm at now. In the morning, I will again check it, and top up if needed, then another drive, and check it again. Will do this for the next few days, as according to what I drained, and then topped up, there is a difference of about 1/2 litre, so I guess some air is still trapped in the system.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... Then drained it, and measured the amount that came out, it was 6 Ltres. ( For some reason, I thought that the capacity would be nearer 10 Ltrs… ?? ) ....

:) As per my mirror tale ... you just can't rush these things :D

As above, you can't be certain that all the coolant was drained ... engine blocks have a habit of retaining a few litres ;)

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:) As per my mirror tale ... you just can't rush these things :D

As above, you can't be certain that all the coolant was drained ... engine blocks have a habit of retaining a few litres ;)
Ha Ha Emily'sDad…….:):):) at this stage of my life, "rushing" is a rarity..in any situation !!!:rolleyes: Just as while it's not my first time changing antifreeze, it's the 1st time I have ever done it in a Mercedes, so slowly slowly does it, That's why I measured what came out ( 6 ltrs ) and it has up to now, taken a little more than 5.5 ltrs, so .5 ltr remains to be filled. If I could confirm what the actual capacity is, I would know better where I stand with it. Before draining, I did run the engine up to 80c, with heater full on, so I think I got it all, We will see how it is tomorrow. Meanwhile, The search for the capacity goes on !!!:D:D:D

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Worth investing in an antifreeze tester.

Will give you the temperature that your mixture will actually freeze at, so you know if you need to add more antifreeze..

Of course, that's where the problems start!

I've got Ye-Olde Halfords one which works fine. According to my check at the weekend, it's good for -20C.

That'll do for the London suburbs.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
People think after testing the antifreeze with a tester it shows up good .The inhbitor, thats included in the antifreeze would have lost most of its protection after three years . So must be replaced asap ,or take the chance .

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So present state of affairs re antifreeze change. Finally tracked the qty down, it's 6.5 ltrs… so on the initial fill, it took a little more that 5.5 ltrs, ran it, allowed it to cool down overnight, and lo and behold, it took the balance to bring it up to the 6 ltr mark, so after draining it 1st time, there was still 1/2 litr remaining, which refused to drain. But, I'm happy enough, 6 ltrs out, 6 ltrs in. Only fly in the ointment now is if the remaining 1/2 ltr is compatible with the Xtream G48......but on the other hand, I think that when I flushed it out I got most of the "Original" ( What ever it was..o_O ) out, and the remainder will not be concentrated enough to do any damage. I already have the antifreeze tester Paul, Useful bit of gear to have, for sure. Another poster on this forum, Hitech believes that when People get fluctuating temperatures, the 1st instinct is to replace the thermostat ( would be mine too, I admit ) but he claims that 1st, you should change the antifreeze, and then see. He reckons that when changing the thermostat, you are of course also replacing the antifreeze, and that is what solves the problem, and NOT the thermostat. Time was when you would put the thermostat into a pot of boiling water to check it out. Well, so far with mine, the temp hits the 90c and stays there,,,,,very minor fluctuations. Was taking several miles to reach the 80's / 90's before, So tomorrow, after once again checking the level, I will monitor it and see what happens.:):)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... Time was when you would put the thermostat into a pot of boiling water to check it out. .....

If only things were still that simple .... EmilysMum's Citroen has an ECU controlled motorised valve instead o_O

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom