SL Hard Top Relay / Controller

kul3x

Reaction score
Firstly, Hello all. I have just purchased my first MB, a 1996 SL320. I was told by the previous owner that as he only used it every summer, he jump started it and blew the relay / controller that releases the Hard Top. I dont have a clue where to start. I have trawled the Internet, but to no avail. A friend told me about this forum and helpful its members were so here i am.

I would also like to know where i can obtain an owners manual from? The owner lost all docs in a burglary. Although it sounds like a dodgy owner i can vouch that this is true.

Many Thanks in advance and thank you for having me as member of the forum.

Kul

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Welcome, dont panic.

I think Malcolm ( TELEVISION ) { expert on all things electrical and SL class } will be able to help you.

It may not be as bad as you think.....

you will probably get a reply soon..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello, how is the rest of the car, is every thing else working, does the roll bar work, what happens when you push the roof switch

OP
K

kul3x

Reaction score
Hardtop

Thanks Both.

The roll bar is up and wont go down. The button that controls it has a red led which is permanently lit. The 'roof' shaped button is too permanently lit red.

Hope this helps?

Thanks Again.

northcave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300sl/1992/3l
Kul,

The ECU for the soft / hard top is under the driver side passenger seat. Has lots of tubes going into it. Its easy to get to. However it is very expensive to get a new one (if that has gone).

However i thought mine had gone but it was just a sensor geting confused. To reset them try and manually put the hard top on/off and the same with the softtop. Use the tool provided. It's dead easy.

If that doesn't work there is a company that can be found through google that will fix it for you for only £250 inc a years warrenty. Its in the UK. Can't remember the name.

nice!

OP
K

kul3x

Reaction score
please ignore my ignorance northcave but i dont follow? (To reset them try and manually put the hard top on/off and the same with the softtop. Use the tool provided. It's dead easy) can you explain on/off, what tool? and do you mean under the rear drivers side seat? Where do i find the tool? if i dont have one where can i get one. I have done a google search. do you mean BBA??

thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The manual tool is a flat blade with a large alen key welded onto the face. you can use an alen key on its own.

You do not have to put the hardtop on to do this,as you can use the soft top if that is whats on there now you have 2 locks on the rail above the screen and 2 in the boot, one each side. The lock will turn a quater of a turn to unlock, try this first

A handbook can be purchased from MB for around £14- £18

type49

Reaction score
The control unit is under the rear seat. Early models have a control unit for roll bar & one for roof. Later has one combined unit. 95/96 is about the changeover period so yours could have either. Put the windows all the way down & up again. Hold the rollbar switch in the up positon for 15 seconds. Double click the roof switch (like a mouse button) towards the rear (open). I pressume you have no blown fuses -don't forget the boot fuses + a good battery.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This would help if we had the first 6 VIN numbers 129???

OP
K

kul3x

Reaction score
thanks all. where is the manual tool located? i will let you know the VIN number when i go back to work as all my docs are there.

At the moment, it is the Hard top that is on the car. Does that change your answers?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No that is fine, there is a tool roll kit in the car, the key should be in there.

Do what type49 says re the switches

The VIN number may be at the bottom of the windscreen

AAPete

Reaction score
I cannot speak more highly of these people BBA I had a problem with my CLK roof that MB quoted £2.5k to repair, the problem was a £2.99 relay that BBA fixed free of charge (due to the fact they used my car as a guniea pig as they had never worked on one before). You will need to remove the contol unit yourself unless you sweet talk them as I did.
Have a look at the forum and main site

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Forum1-1.aspx?Update=1

Good luck

Top Bottom