SL R230 Keyless Go Button Not Working (PART 2)

Petrol Heed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL500 (R230), 2005 SL500 (R230), et al
Next I unplugged the cable, and cut open the black shrink wrap around the two wires, the break wasn't where I'd expected it to be, it was fairly close to the plug, see the next two photos...

DSC_0108.JPG
Cable unplugged from selector module

DSC_0109.JPG
You can see where the wire is broken, I gently pulled the wire and the insulation broke as shown.

Next I soldered the broken wire, used a piece of thin copper wire and wrapped it around the broken ends before soldering, I put a piece of shrink sleeve on first. I then checked for continuity. see the following photos....

DSC_0110.JPG
Soldered wire

DSC_0111.JPG
The diameter of the shrink sleeve was on the big side, but it was all I had at the time.

I then wrapped the original black sleeve back around the cables, I hadn't cut it off completely, only slit it open, I held this in place with tiny pieces of tape before wrapping the lot with some self amalgamating tape, see photo.... then reassembled the selector module.

DSC_0112.JPG

I then reinstalled the module back into the car in reverse order from removal, I put some copper grease on the selector lever pin where it connects to the selector rod, see photo.......

DSC_0113.JPG

Next I reassembled the centre console, but not before testing the keyless go button, see photo....

DSC_0114.JPG

That was the job done, and very happy to have the button start operational once again. I hope somebody finds this useful, and that it saves you endless searching for information specific to the R230 push button start problem.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Nice skillful bit of diagnosis and fettling there:)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
If I had a keyless go, I'd follow the above procedure in reverse to disable it.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom