SL R230 - SRS, Wiper, Comand / Command, Roll Bar, Airbag Light, Clicking

beast900

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2005 3.7L
Hi Mike,

when I had these problems, which I must admit do come back once or twice a year, unfortunately I do not have any pictures, but there is how I tackled it with the help if the guys on this forum.

The Drain Pipe

Under the bonnet on the right (when standing in front of the car) you should see the air intake for the cabin heater, if this is full of water then you will probably need to drain the pipe. A quick test would be to pour water into here and see if it drains out onto the road, behind the passenger wheel. If it doesn’t or is pretty slow to drain you will need to clean it out. To do this, take off the passenger side front wheel, and remove the wheel arch plastic trim where the drain is. This is on the right side when looking at the wheel. Once you have removed the trim you should be able to reach up and feel the drain pipe. it has a closed end which some people advice snipping off, but I just cleaned out the pipe. Once you have done that pour some water into the air intake and it should drain freely.

The Passenger Carpet.

Due to the fact my car had this blocked pipe, a lot of water had gone inside the cabin under the carpet. I suggest you pull the carpet up and take a look, I literally had a pool of water which needed drying out. If you have the same issue, it might be worth removing the passenger seat and getting the carpet as far back as you can and drying it out fully. which could take a few days.

Also when you have the carpet pulled back you will see a black closed cable tray running along the left hand side. If you open the cover you will see all the connectors etc. Ensure all this is dry as well. In my case, I had to remove the two connector blocks, and clean each connector individually as they had become slightly corroded.

I think its definitely a common problem, but with a bit of patience it should be fixable.

Let me know how you get on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have water in the heater box it can be seen from looking down the air intake passenger side and if you can see water, the drain is blocked, any water will also limit the speed of the heater fan, so just shine a light in there

michscho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230/06/350
ok now clear

Ok, everythings now clear

although i have a LHD i know exactly what you are talking about so its not hard to find, gonna give it a try soon and thank you for the explanation. Searched various forums but this one was the most straightforward answers from people with real experiences, not just a cousin of my neighbour which has a friend told that bla bla bla

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
hi all, just bringing this thread back. i have the same issues as mentioned above. did anyone get to the bottom of it. I have checked the CANBUS cables for water and they are all dry both sides. Cleaned and checked all the SAM's and they all seem ok. im running out of ideas so any help would be great

Many thanks

Scott

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
EIS was mentioned as well Scott, worth checking if everything else seems OK and the car is dry with no obvious water ingress.
I did have some of these issues with my 2008 500, but that was the drivers side SAM which had to be replaced

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
Hi John, i have tired tapping it as people suggest but it didn't do anything. My faults seem to be getting worse, the SRS light doesnt flash anymore but i don't have wiper, auto lights, heated seats and i can't scroll through the information on the cluster display. Only shows temp and mileage.

I looked at my driver SAM and i noticed it was replaced at some point with one from a S class (W220?). I got second hand unit with the same part number etc and replaced it but i still get the same errors.

scott

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like this need to go on STAR to see what it can find. STAR can activate individual components and report of their status so is invaluable for this type of thing.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
hi

forgot to mention, it went on a star and the only thing they could find was a fault with the passenger SAM saying it didnt have enough current and there was a fault with the AC system.

starting to lose faith!

scott

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
hi

forgot to mention, it went on a star and the only thing they could find was a fault with the passenger SAM saying it didnt have enough current and there was a fault with the AC system.

starting to lose faith!

scott
Did they run through activating individual components - i.e. turn on wipers, turn on indicators etc or just look for codes?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi,

i dont think they did. i will ask them to do it

Also get them to check earth and power to the SAM. Insufficient current could cause voltage dropouts and odd behaviour.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
can i do that? trying to keep the cost down as i have already spent a fortune on it. i know my way around the car.

thanks for your replies

scott

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
can i do that? trying to keep the cost down as i have already spent a fortune on it. i know my way around the car.

thanks for your replies

scott
Absolutely you can. Find the earth for it and give it a good clean and refit it (clean terminal, bolt, body where it bolts to and any intermediate connectors). Repeat for the +12v. Hit any connectors with switch cleaner (preferred over contact cleaner as its non-drying and non-conductive - just avoid WD40!). If you haven't already done so replace the wiper fuse.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
i take it the earth should be near the SAM, i have checked all the can connectors and cleaned them with contact cleaner etc so same process :)

scott

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i take it the earth should be near the SAM, i have checked all the can connectors and cleaned them with contact cleaner etc so same process :)

scott
Yes pretty much. Also check the connections to the EIS as that can cause these types of faults apparently.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Sl500 R230
plan for the weekend :)

do you know how to get to the EIS i took the end panel off the dash but couldnt see how to get it out.

scott

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry but I don't have that info to hand.

JAN-STURE SIVERTSEN

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w251/2011/350 diesel
Hello
My car is Mercedes R-class 350 cdi w251, 2011 model.
Before summer i had a problem on and off with SRS warning light passenger seat and wipers did not work.
After stop and start engine fault was reset and eveything worked fine for a while but now it's been constant fault for a few months. Changed both sam modules rear (fuse box and SAM rear) and also fuse box front without positive results.
When i now turn on the car message says as follows SRS right front disturbanse.
I can tell you that i had wiring problem in cables above tailgate hatch with a few broken wires but this is now repaired but it might be more problems but i couldn't see any more broken wiring there.
Reason why i found broken wires in the rear is because my tailgate would not close but only open but as i tell you i fixed this.
I also cleaned seat belts connections and changed many relays and fuse boxes.
Do you have any idea what the SRS and non working wipers problem can be solved?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom