SL350 7 Years On

fozzymandeus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL350
Hello,

I've owned my 2003 SL350 for coming up to seven years now and I thought I would report on how I'm getting on.

I bought it at 44000 miles, and it now has 93000 on the clock. In this time it's been to france, many times to north wales, to cornwall and london, and it's been a terrific car for all of these journeys.

I haven't used it in the winter for the last four years, and I've been on a programme of renewal of the car for the next 7 in the last little while, replacing:

All shock absorbers, front upper and lower wishbones, rear lower balljoints. Doesn't sound much, but it has transformed the car. In 93000 miles the engine and gearbox have needed no work other than service work.

I've replaced one stuck caliper (rear - watch for VERY strange behaviour when a caliper is seized on an SBC car!) and all brake friction during my ownership.

I've also attended to paintwork, including addressing some minor corrosion to the rear arches, but as of this date, the car is rust free.

I feel very much that these cars are tremendously well built, and it has been a joy to own. I could not recommend owning one more firmly, and I hope to keep running mine for many more years.

It's possible that no one will be very interested in this missive, but I wanted to share, to remind people what excellent cars these truly are.

Thanks,

Simon

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I had mine for 13 years and enjoyed it immensely. Check out the rear arch fix using minitrim
Whilst these cars were not perfect ( early ones seemed to be customer development!,) they were are, and still are, great GT cars

My sl400 is a vast improvement however. Although some features are lost in the new car such as rollover bar manual operation, rear luggage belts, comfort entry.

Look after your 350 and enjoy it

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom