SL350 Door Locks/Boot Problem - Pump Failure

ash213

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180c kompressor
Hi Guys,

Just looking for a little advice. I'm not very technical so please excuse me if I don't explain too well.

SL350 from 2012. Boot won't open, doors wont lock. Mercedes tried a few things replaced the fuse twice, but long term this wont work. The first fuse change lasted one day. It's due to a water leak, and now the pump is buggered.

They have quoted me around £2,000 to fix the pump and the rest of it, etc.

Is this value for money? Can it be done cheaper?

I only ask, as the guy at mercedes pretty much said, it might not be worth doing. It might be better of trading in and getting rid of it, at this point.

So just looking for a little advice, as £2,000 is a pricey sum for something, that he said might also go wrong again down the line if you have more leaks.

Thanks again

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2005 with pano roof
Hi Guys,

Just looking for a little advice. I'm not very technical so please excuse me if I don't explain too well.

SL350 from 2012. Boot won't open, doors wont lock. Mercedes tried a few things replaced the fuse twice, but long term this wont work. The first fuse change lasted one day. It's due to a water leak, and now the pump is buggered.

I only ask, as the guy at mercedes pretty much said, it might not be worth doing. It might be better of trading in and getting rid of it, at this point.

So just looking for a little advice, as £2,000 is a pricey sum for something, that he said might also go wrong again down the line if you have more leaks.

Thanks again
Hi Is your car a 2012 model,?I have the same problem on mine which is 2005 .
I have managed to get a brand new pump from MB Edinburgh e bay shop for £675,2yr warranty my indie says its about 30-40 mins work to fit .
Hope this helps st lesst it keeps the price down.Althougj you msy nerd to address thr source of the leak.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
A

ash213

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180c kompressor
Yeh its 2012.

I think theres more to it, than just the pump.

here are some notes, just so you guys have a better understanding.

The quote he said, isnt even exact, as it maybe more depending on what they find or something.

ETSBdZv.jpg

dC6vdsj.jpg

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeh its 2012.

I think theres more to it, than just the pump.

here are some notes, just so you guys have a better understanding.

The quote he said, isnt even exact, as it maybe more depending on what they find or something.

ETSBdZv.jpg

dC6vdsj.jpg
There is a good diy repair for the rear seals on the MB forum.

OP
A

ash213

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180c kompressor
Thanks for the heads up Merk.

I'm gonna be honest and upfront right now. I'm not a car guy or DIY guy so I won't be doing this myself.

I'm pretty much looking to see if I can get it done any cheaper than the 2k mark. If not, if its worth the 2k? should i just get shot of the car now? etc.

I am based in Essex btw - so any recommendations of people in this vacinity who could do the job, instead of Mercedes direct, would be great.

Thanks again

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Alex Crowe in Stowmarket, Welwyn Merx - either would be able to sort that for considerably less than you've been quoted I would imagine.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ exactly this. What you’re experiencing has happened to many many SL’s, the 2 indies mentioned by LK would do an excellent job nowhere near that cost

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
many listings and much info on that issue here look for malcoms boot leak fix and read thru that ,you may be able to follow it. its VERY important to make sure you stop water getting in , if not yr going to face te same costs again .i also lifted my pump a bit by placing a zip bag with 4mm sheet of flex polystyrene under pump ,just in case water found its way back in . in fact there has never been any water in my boot .but i thought statistically it was a matter of time so did the mod anyway.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi Guys,

Thanks again

Is there actually any evidence of a water leak? ie stains on the carpet or foam protector or anywhere else? I ask because the previous owner of our SL got stung with a similar size bill for the same thing put down to water ingress. When I looked there was absolutely no sign of water staining etc ever having been present. I strongly suspect that MB dealers put pse pump failure down to water problems when its simply down to component failure. I would be very very reluctant to take the dealers word on this- they simply could be adding replacement seals in without it being necessary. Its a very easy job to replace the pump -less than an hour and if you follow the other post and get a pump for £500 ish your bill should be £600 ish. Well worth it on a 2012 car and indeed on any SL! As others advise go to a recommended indie and get better advice.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ good point Peter, as you say it’s an easy blame but then again it is all too common. It’s well worth doing the seal fix anyway but at the Op’s Leisure and his own time rather than pressurised!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
^ good point Peter, as you say it’s an easy blame but then again it is all too common. It’s well worth doing the seal fix anyway but at the Op’s Leisure and his own time rather than pressurised!
Yep it's common- in the case of our SL the dealer "cleared out the drainage points which were blocked" :rolleyes: One SL I looked at before buying ours had water literally sloshing about in the boot . Was told by the seller that they all do that and that the none functioning central locking was just a blown fuse...

OP
A

ash213

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180c kompressor
Never got the job done as have been away.

Need to drive to airport and put luggage in the boot. Any way of opening the boot without getting it fixed? I tried with the key, but it seemed to go about 3/4 the way round then was a little 'hard' maybe i'm too weak, but didnt wanna risk breaking the key

can i open boot from inside?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for the heads up Merk.

I'm gonna be honest and upfront right now. I'm not a car guy or DIY guy so I won't be doing this myself.

I'm pretty much looking to see if I can get it done any cheaper than the 2k mark. If not, if its worth the 2k? should i just get shot of the car now? etc.

I am based in Essex btw - so any recommendations of people in this vacinity who could do the job, instead of Mercedes direct, would be great.

Thanks again
Yep , as Lost Kiwi says try Alex Crow in Stowmarket . He is well worth the journey , very knowledgeable and well priced per hour for labour . I travel from Chelmsford to see him .

OP
A

ash213

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180c kompressor
if i keep applying pressue on the key to turn the lock, will it eventually open the boot? am i just being a little weak

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
if i keep applying pressue on the key to turn the lock, will it eventually open the boot? am i just being a little weak
Get a squirty can of penetrating oil and force it up into the lock. Leave it a bit, wiggle it a bit, spray it a bit, leave it a bit, wiggle it a bit, spray it a bit etc and see if it frees up.

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Is your car a 2012 model,?I have the same problem on mine which is 2005 .
I have managed to get a brand new pump from MB Edinburgh e bay shop for £675,2yr warranty my indie says its about 30-40 mins work to fit .
Hope this helps st lesst it keeps the price down.Althougj you msy nerd to address thr source of the leak.

Well had the car in today PSE Pump replaced all working again includind soft close and roof , pump has to be coded in and seats have to be re programmed ie lumbar supports

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well had the car in today PSE Pump replaced all working again includind soft close and roof , pump has to be coded in and seats have to be re programmed ie lumbar supports

Glad you got it sorted. To help other owners in this position can you tell us how you managed to open the boot eventually?

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you got it sorted. To help other owners in this position can you tell us how you managed to open the boot eventually?
I used the key turned it anti clockwise whilst pulling handle.

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used the key turned it anti clockwise whilst pulling handle.

Managed to get my old PSE pump apart today.
What I found is a hole burnt through the casing of the motor about half way down and bad smell of burning also some burnt areas around the end where the cables are soldered. The circut board and the rest of the pump seem ok no water damage.I guess that was the problem.
6469d433a0db5642134b299a438f4ab4.jpg
a74cc617601eb037734a95d7c97d1dd9.jpg
5497b796cfffee94d1447e0dfcbb2a56.jpg
aa386c57472c5e8bc1b5585e92ae69fc.jpg
035264154b1dc33326564ce3462ee575.jpg

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom