SL400 Engine and gearbox remap

Tiger1050

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 Mercedes SL400
Evening, new to this forum following purchase of a 2015 SL400 with only 37000 miles and full MB service history and in mint condition. I really like the car and has real presence on the road, my only niggle is the gearbox which is clearly set up for economy as apposed to sporty driving, even in sports mode. So my question is in relation to an engine and gearbox remap which state that this will vastly improve the performance and driveability of the car. Has anyone had this done and are there any possible issues that I need to be aware of, before I proceed down this route. Many thanks in advance, but loving the car !!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
An engine remap will make significantly more power and will tweak the throttle response. A gearbox map can make it behave how you want. It will speed up the changes and can make it downshift earlier with the same throttle. We have done loads, albeit lots of gearbox remapping on AMG models.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Welcome Tiger1050

Before doing anything don't forget to check with your insurers what effect any modifications will have on your cover.

Mine have been very good, but some are not.

NJSS

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Welcome. Surprising to hear this as Comfort, Sport and Sport+ have three very different characters in mine, Have you got the 7G box or the newer 9G box on yours?

OP
T

Tiger1050

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 Mercedes SL400
Welcome. Surprising to hear this as Comfort, Sport and Sport+ have three very different characters in mine, Have you got the 7G box or the newer 9G box on yours?
I have the 7G box which in E mode is a dim-witted gearbox hence I drive in S mode all of the time. The power is fine, it is just the gearbox which I feel could be better hence the question. I have had many previous cars remapped, albeit they were all diesel, but I have not ventured into a gearbox remap before and done want to make an expensive mistake.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I have the 7G box which in E mode is a dim-witted gearbox hence I drive in S mode all of the time. The power is fine, it is just the gearbox which I feel could be better hence the question. I have had many previous cars remapped, albeit they were all diesel, but I have not ventured into a gearbox remap before and done want to make an expensive mistake.
Ok that makes a difference, mine is 9G. If you are anywhere near Tonbridge in Kent, you could trust Alex @alexanderfoti to do a good job

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The 7g as you say is dim witted period, it’s just a case of picking your favourite from a bunch of bad settings. The 9g I tried in an SL500 felt like an evolution, just a more refined version of a 7g but, nothing impressive. On the road both do the job in a satisfactory kind of way and its really only an issue for the keenest when you want to get a serious lick on or, dance with precision they show their lack of sharpness compared to other auto boxes.

As for a gearbox map, I’d say leave it well alone, service it every year, if you want to keep the car. I recall asking about a gearbox map on the legendary bulletproof 5spd and IIRC @alexforti mentioned that quicker shifts etc will ultimately put more stress on the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My 9G has AMG software. Sport is a much better drive than Comfort and Sport Plus changes are incredibly fast. I'm sure a map could replicate those settings and, if my gearbox can cope with it…

Reactions: DSK
OP
T

Tiger1050

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 Mercedes SL400
Many thanks for the replies, very helpful. I may just go for an engine remap and drive in sports mode all the time which I currently do as the gearbox is better.

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Many thanks for the replies, very helpful. I may just go for an engine remap and drive in sports mode all the time which I currently do as the gearbox is better.

Sensible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom