SL55 AMG 'Engine Oil Level. Stop, Engine Off!' help please

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sorry guys,jusrt seen post on matter as dealt with,its a bit early

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Yes was fully drained and both sumps drained, the guy I use knows Mercs really well especially the this engine. I witnessed all this, plugged back on Star and witnessed the correct oil level while the engine was running.
Has been fine up till now until last night when the same message came on again but difference being I drove a bit harder last night, seems to be when you drive harder the message comes on. We're pretty sure its the oil sensor playing up so on its next service this will be replaced. Like you though I too prefer the old fashioned way of having a dipstick !!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Having no dipstick is called progress !
Glad both my cars are old enough to have one.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
On the subject of oil changing etc. Doe's anyone know how far the dipstick reaches into the sump in an E class w212 200 CDI OM651 engine? What I mean is, in some engines, the dipstick reaches down to the very bottom of the oil pan, but in some others the stick only reaches down maybe an inch or slightly more into the oil level itself? So if it was reading barely over the lower bottom of the stick, it would not mean that the sump was nearly empty, just that it needed to be topped up with a litre or so?

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Late update so apologies for this, had my guy replace the oil sensor...bingo no more red dash scary warning message. He's never seen this or changed on before with this engine, at least this has sorted this little issue.
On to my next issue regarding the intense noise that appears from the rear after driving for approx. 25 mins and only happens once sat in traffic.....soon as you drive off it goes, stop in traffic again its there, increases in noise the more your sat going nowhere....no idea what this is...the rear shock was changed, brand new but the ride is so hard, wondering if this can be the cause ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Could be a failing pulsation damper or return damper perhaps?

OP
D

daz10dazza

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E55 AMG Black
Thanks LostKiwi, will mention this to my mechanic who's taking the car Wednesday to do a ABC fluid flush/change.
I did read somewhere think on here it could also be the fuel pump....
I actually got home last night after driving and parked in front of my garage with the engine running and the noise started, never done that before so opened the boot, the noise is deff behind the drivers seat next to the fuel tank and not the rear left as first thought, maybe this lends itself to being the fuel pump....if its located there ??

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Thanks LostKiwi, will mention this to my mechanic who's taking the car Wednesday to do a ABC fluid flush/change.
I did read somewhere think on here it could also be the fuel pump....
I actually got home last night after driving and parked in front of my garage with the engine running and the noise started, never done that before so opened the boot, the noise is deff behind the drivers seat next to the fuel tank and not the rear left as first thought, maybe this lends itself to being the fuel pump....if its located there ??
Not a fuel tank baffle that has come loose and is vibrating? Appears to have been a common problem in the past.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom