Slight knocking noise

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Hi,

I recently had a Mot and the front right wheel had a little movement so FAILED. I had the front right suspension arm replaced at £230 quid. Which has sorted the moving but now every time I turn the wheel right maybe half to full lock at say minus 10mph I hear little knocking sounds. I don't hear it when I go over bumps or rough road it only when I'm stationary or turn right at a low speed. Could these John Waynes that fitted the arm have done something?
I have had my mechanic family member have a look under the pit and he says everything is tight and he can't see out? If you tap the panel at the back of the pedals with your foot it's sounds just like that.
Thanks guys

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
Steering rack may be loose. It sits on mounting rubbers and these may have worn out.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I've never done one. But it Was a common problem on the w211's. It might not be that though. But its a possibility. Needs to go on a ramp I'd imagine.
I took it to a garage who checked underneath and they said mecaniclly they cannot find anything wrong with it. Not sure if they checked the steering rack. They did check all bushes and rods etc.

RUBBER_UNDIES

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 w211 E270 177 BHP
I took it to a garage who checked underneath and they said mecaniclly they cannot find anything wrong with it. Not sure if they checked the steering rack. They did check all bushes and rods etc.
I'd take it back and ask them to check the steering rack. Can't be anything else wrong. Does it sound like it's on the outside or inside?

Could also be one of the joints on your steering column going down from the steering wheel to the rack.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I'd take it back and ask them to check the steering rack. Can't be anything else wrong. Does it sound like it's on the outside or inside?

Could also be one of the joints on your steering column going down from the steering wheel to the rack.

No you can't hear it from the out side. When I picked it up last time they said they couldn't hear it. I got the bloke out and showed him while I moved the wheel. Strange thing is it's only when I turn left either stationary are at a low speed. Can't hear out when going over bumps or out?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Someone else had a loose pinch bolt on the column to rack - have them check all the pinch bolts are tight too.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If a non genuine arm was fitted, get the tracking adjusted, its likely moving the hub slightly further than before, and they tyre is crabbing.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
If a non genuine arm was fitted, get the tracking adjusted, its likely moving the hub slightly further than before, and they tyre is crabbing.
Hi it is a genuine arm and that was checked first because I didn't trust the garage afterwards. I thinknits more if a steering issues.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom