1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slk 230 power problems

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by leigh69, May 19, 2011.

1. leigh69

leigh69 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLK 230 1997
    HI all,

About a month ago, i purchased a 1997 slk230 kompressor the car was working excellent til today, when i got on the bypass suddenly felt loss of power and the check engine light came on i put my foot down to pull away and it started to back fire, i lost gear selection it semmed to be stuck in 4th. would not even go into 1st manually. When i came to a stop the car was shaking then stalled. Just would not go faster than 40mph not sure if it was in limp mode???
    Any ideas what it could be ????

Thanks

2. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes-Benz C32AMG and SLR McLaren Coupe 2005.
    Sounds like MAF or Coil pack failure to me. A Star test would be the first place to start.

3. moosehead

moosehead Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C230/2005/2.5L
    I replaced the MAF on our SLK 2 years ago following loss of power and erratic gearchanges. It was the orignal unit as we've owned the car from almost new. If you take the MAF off you will find it might have 2 part numbers - MB and Bosch. Go to Eurocar parts and buy the Bosch unit. The unit was around £140-150. If you don't want to risk £150 get an indie to read the diagnostics with Star.

4. Alex Crow

Alex Crow Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
    worth cleaning the maf on this one, very prone to oiling, especially during hardish acceleration.

5. moosehead

moosehead Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C230/2005/2.5L
    I did try this with ours first of all (isopropyl cleaner) but it made no difference and didn't appear to be dirty / oily. I tried unplugging the MAF as well and the engine cut out.

6. Alex Crow

Your Mercedes:
    was it an early 111 engine with supercharger? these models are particularly prone to it.

7. dakudaman

dakudaman New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    1997 230SLK
    Oil on MAF sensor

Where is the oil coming from? I also have oil on my MAF. The one on my vehicle has no mumbers so I bought a new Bosch unit, but have yet to install it due to I don't want to get it messed up with oil like the one that's on there now. So evey 2-3 weeks I just spray it down with MAF sensor cleaner. I would like to fix the problem of the oil source.
    Any tips? Thanks

8. Alex Crow

Your Mercedes: